INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Estate Victim Support Group

+3
E-raq
Intercasa
Chapala Payaso
7 posters

Go down

Real Estate Victim Support Group Empty Real Estate Victim Support Group

Post by Chapala Payaso Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:12 pm

It is common knowledge that the legal system in the Chapala area is corrupt, the lawyers are in bed with each other, and the courts accept bribes from both sides of a lawsuit. It is also common knowledge that the real estate agencies are also of the same ilk. If you are thinking of buying or selling you are wise to get an atorney from GDL and not here on any transaction. I am considering starting up a victim's support group. If interested email me" daque@yahoo.com. I will not communicate further on an open board such as this.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Real Estate Victim Support Group Empty Re: Real Estate Victim Support Group

Post by Intercasa Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm

While I am ignorant of the situation which gave rise to your posting, I can give a few tips on how to avoid being a victim:

People need to do their due diligence before any money changes hands. Some people ASSume that their real estate person has checked everything out but in these lean times and with many people unable to speak Spanish and not knowing how to do due diligence or ASSuming that things always work out (98% of the time) without problem they do not feel the need to dig deeper and sometimes digging deeper can jeopardize a commission so there may be a conflict of interest.

Any corruption is present in most legal systems so knowing this beforehand one needs to protect themselves and be cautious giving powers of attorney.

Also NEVER SIGN ANYTHING IN SPANISH UNLESS YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING AND IT IS EXPLAINED TO YOU BY ANOTHER WHO HAS NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN THE TRANSACTION.

There is something to be said about the home court (no pun intended) advantage with litigation. While more attorneys in Guadalajara on average have a higher level of studies than those locally they may not have the connections locally to get things done. Remember being an "attorney" means little if the attorney does not continually take classes, here in Mexico once an attorney it is for life. It may be hard to differentiate between an attorney who recently graduated, one who graduated 30 years ago worked as a plumber and now gets back into the legal business with no updating of their knowledge and a seasoned litigator.

Also attorneys from out of the area who have no local office are placed in the position of having to check the court file every few days to make sure certain time periods haven´t started to run. A bad habit for Guadalajara attorneys is to come every week or two but this can be fatal as there are time periods to object to documents or evidence that are as short as three days.

Don´t be cheap, many people wishing to avoid paying a few thousand pesos often end up losing thousands of dollars in the end.

There are bad attorneys all over, even in Guadalajara. Each person needs to protect themselves and have trusted advisors.

Try to avoid conflict and don´t let egos get in the way, you will pay dearly for your ego and wanting to win at all costs. Trying to find a friendly solution works, even if it means you taking some sort of a negligible loss as there are some masters of making mountains out of a molehill and the clients pay and the attorneys get rich. a quick resolution that can avoid prolonged litigation is a good option for your pocketbook and mental well being.

There are no easy answers but an ounce of prevention goes a long way.

Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I prefer an ignorant attorney who is honest to a corrupt one.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Intercasa wrote:While I am ignorant of the situation which gave rise to your posting, I can give a few tips on how to avoid being a victim:

People need to do their due diligence before any money changes hands. Some people ASSume that their real estate person has checked everything out but in these lean times and with many people unable to speak Spanish and not knowing how to do due diligence or ASSuming that things always work out (98% of the time) without problem they do not feel the need to dig deeper and sometimes digging deeper can jeopardize a commission so there may be a conflict of interest.

Any corruption is present in most legal systems so knowing this beforehand one needs to protect themselves and be cautious giving powers of attorney.

Also NEVER SIGN ANYTHING IN SPANISH UNLESS YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING AND IT IS EXPLAINED TO YOU BY ANOTHER WHO HAS NO FINANCIAL INTEREST IN THE TRANSACTION.

There is something to be said about the home court (no pun intended) advantage with litigation. While more attorneys in Guadalajara on average have a higher level of studies than those locally they may not have the connections locally to get things done. Remember being an "attorney" means little if the attorney does not continually take classes, here in Mexico once an attorney it is for life. It may be hard to differentiate between an attorney who recently graduated, one who graduated 30 years ago worked as a plumber and now gets back into the legal business with no updating of their knowledge and a seasoned litigator.

Also attorneys from out of the area who have no local office are placed in the position of having to check the court file every few days to make sure certain time periods haven´t started to run. A bad habit for Guadalajara attorneys is to come every week or two but this can be fatal as there are time periods to object to documents or evidence that are as short as three days.

Don´t be cheap, many people wishing to avoid paying a few thousand pesos often end up losing thousands of dollars in the end.

There are bad attorneys all over, even in Guadalajara. Each person needs to protect themselves and have trusted advisors.

Try to avoid conflict and don´t let egos get in the way, you will pay dearly for your ego and wanting to win at all costs. Trying to find a friendly solution works, even if it means you taking some sort of a negligible loss as there are some masters of making mountains out of a molehill and the clients pay and the attorneys get rich. a quick resolution that can avoid prolonged litigation is a good option for your pocketbook and mental well being.

There are no easy answers but an ounce of prevention goes a long way.

A most excellent post Spencer. Where were you 13 years ago when I needed you?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Chapala Payaso wrote:It is common knowledge that the legal system in the Chapala area is corrupt, the lawyers are in bed with each other, and the courts accept bribes from both sides of a lawsuit. It is also common knowledge that the real estate agencies are also of the same ilk. If you are thinking of buying or selling you are wise to get an atorney from GDL and not here on any transaction. I am considering starting up a victim's support group. If interested email me" daque@yahoo.com. I will not communicate further on an open board such as this.

As you choose to throw this out into the public... perhaps you could provide specifics of how you were wronged.
So far, you just sound like a whiner....
And a wee bit Pathetic....

Last edited by hockables on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:30 pm

I want to learn and know more but it is a long process and most attorneys learn one of two ways:

1) They work 8am to 8pm in a large firm and make next to nothing for 8 years.
2) They say yes and take all cases and learn by losing.

I´m taking the third option by continuing my studies, working in the courts to learn from the mistakes of others and being very selective of the cases I take as well as have the backing of a few large firms in Guadalajara if the need arises.

My studies will give me an ideal basis as the dual masters degree is from the best university in all of Mexico for law, the classes essential as they are contracts and debts, constitutional writs and civil and business procedure. I still want to take a tax class and one on notary law for real estate. I´ve done a few extra seminars and classes but there is still so much to learn that I´ll never finish in my lifetime!

The reality is that I will need to work with other firms for the next few years while learning so I will win my cases and not learn from losing but I can bring to the table my connections and NOB business attitude as well as the run of the mill lawsuits and legal needs that aren´t complex which I´vve been working with the past few years.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by swope Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 pm

I am curious as to which is the best law school in this country. Is there one that would be a kind of Mexican Harvard Law School?

swope

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Yes, for master's degrees the Universidad Panamericana is the Ivy League equivalent. Many teachers are active judges and top authors of law books. Many of my classmates are court officials and one is a Federal Court magistrate at the federal court in Guadalajara (Ciudad Judicial / Zapopan).

Each university is known for its specialty. One excellent university for basic law studies is the University of Guadalajara. Others are well regarded for architecture and others taxation for example.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:13 am

For reference:

Spanish link: http://aquevedo.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/top-universidades-mxico-2009-el-universal/

Translation link: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Faquevedo.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F05%2F09%2Ftop-universidades-mxico-2009-el-universal%2F&act=url

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 am

Another source

http://ciudadanosenred.com.mx/articulos/las-mejores-universidades-en-mexico-ranking-2011

UP is #1 for law (Derecho)
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 am

Once again for those curious of my business, "I will not communicate further on an open board such as this." Perhaps you can get a translator/

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Chapala Payaso wrote:I prefer an ignorant attorney who is honest to a corrupt one.

Payaso, you make a post full of innuendo and insult those who could help you. We are sorry that you had a bad experience and have regrets. It is an opportunity to become wiser.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapala Payaso Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Merry: Tks for the sage advice. My intent in posting was not to cry on anyone's shoulder but rather to see if there is any interest in forming a real estate transaction problem support group. I am not asking for support. Once my case is settled I may respond further.

Chapala Payaso
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down