INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TONY'S Restaurant Review

+12
Rosa Venus
E-raq
David
Trailrunner
merry
gringal
hound dog
Big Daddy Mexico
Parker
CheenaGringo
hockables
johninajijic
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TONY'S Restaurant Review Empty TONY'S Restaurant Review

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 am

Last night ten of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner Group ate at TONY'S restaurant. It was one of our neighbor's Birthdays. First they served Tortilla chips with 3 different condiments. The Salsa is spicy compared to Hacienda Ajijic who makes his salsa more for Gringo tastes. Everyone ordered drinks of different types. The Pina Coladas were huge and the Margaritas looked decent too.

We chatted for awhile before ordering our meals. One person ordered the Grilled White Fish. I ordered the Shrimp in Tamarind Sauce. I ordered the Tamarind sauce on the side because I don't like the shrimp swimming in sauce. There were 10 medium sized grilled shrimp. Very good. Everyone else ordered the BBQ Ribs, Tony's specialty, lots of ribs, very tender and delicious. The meat falls off the bones. The meals come with a choice of Baked potato or French fries or Rice plus a vegetable of the day.

Everyone had an excellent meal. We highly recommend TONY'S restaurant. He was doing a decent business for a Monday night. Service was excellent as usual.

TONY'S Restaurant - Next to Tony's Meat Market and Super Lake - 766 4906

Next restaurant review Simply Thai.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

TONY'S Restaurant Review Empty Re: TONY'S Restaurant Review

Post by hockables Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 am

johninajijic wrote:Last night ten of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner Group ate at TONY'S restaurant. It was one of our neighbor's Birthdays. First they served Tortilla chips with 3 different condiments. The Salsa is spicy compared to Hacienda Ajijic who makes his salsa more for Gringo tastes. Everyone ordered drinks of different types. The Pina Coladas were huge and the Margaritas looked decent too.

We chatted for awhile before ordering our meals. One person ordered the Grilled White Fish. I ordered the Shrimp in Tamarind Sauce. I ordered the Tamarind sauce on the side because I don't like the shrimp swimming in sauce. There were 10 medium sized grilled shrimp. Very good. Everyone else ordered the BBQ Ribs, Tony's specialty, lots of ribs, very tender and delicious. The meat falls off the bones. The meals come with a choice of Baked potato or French fries or Rice plus a vegetable of the day.

Everyone had an excellent meal. We highly recommend TONY'S restaurant. He was doing a decent business for a Monday night. Service was excellent as usual.

How often do the Bis do their monthly dinners? snork... just kidd'n
Is Tony's, the same Tony as Butcher next door?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 am

Of course you're kidding, right? Bi monthly is twice a month. Sometimes just a few of us friends will go out, nothing to do with the dinner group. Yes on second question. Tony the father owns the restaurant. Tony the son owns the meat market.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 am

[img]TONY'S Restaurant Review Dscn1916[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 am

We’ve always liked Tony’s restaurant but we go there for the ribs and yes most of the time their busy. Wheelchair accessible.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 am

hockables wrote:
johninajijic wrote:Last night ten of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner Group ate at TONY'S restaurant. It was one of our neighbor's Birthdays. First they served Tortilla chips with 3 different condiments. The Salsa is spicy compared to Hacienda Ajijic who makes his salsa more for Gringo tastes. Everyone ordered drinks of different types. The Pina Coladas were huge and the Margaritas looked decent too.

How often do the Bis do their monthly dinners? snork... just kidd'n
Is Tony's, the same Tony as Butcher next door?

The Butcher next door at Tony's is the son. His name is Cesar Antonio. He goes by Tony or Cesar.

FYI
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:46 am

johninajijic wrote:Of course you're kidding, right? Bi monthly is twice a month. Sometimes just a few of us friends will go out, nothing to do with the dinner group. Yes on second question. Tony the father owns the restaurant. Tony the son owns the meat market.

Actually, John, the term bi-monthly means an event that occurs once every other month and the term for an event that occurs twice a month is semi-monthly or, alternatively, bi-weekly which , while marginally different from semi-monthly, is acceptable for characterizing a sequence of recurring events over time. Your group meets to dine semi-monthly or on a bi-weekly basis and that´s just the way it is. The poster who posed the question was trying to amuse forum readers by pulling your leg but I wouldn´t lose any sleep over inconsequential sniping from others posting hereabouts.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Tony can be relied on for consistently good food and service. Around here, that's a biggie.
If you like fish or shrimp, they'll fix it your way. Another thing I like is that you can get one very nice baked potato instead of french fries. Most fries around here leave much to be desired. The salsa is for the strong of heart, but those carrots are good and the chips taste fresh.

Go, Tony !

Now, John........the easy way out is to just call it your twice a month group. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 pm

hey Dawg - Thank you for the explanation. I'm surprised no one here picked me up on that, since everyone who lives here has major college degrees.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 pm

bi·month·ly  (b-mnthl)
adj.
1. Happening every two months.
2. Happening twice a month; semimonthly.
adv.
1. Once every two months.
2. Twice a month; semimonthly.
n. pl. bi·month·lies
A bimonthly publication. See Usage Note at bi-1.

FYI
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey John.....
It doesn't take a major college degree: If most high schools in the U.S. were doing their jobs, people would be using excellent English by the time they graduate. However........looks like the Europeans take their educational jobs much more seriously. Too bad.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Many years ago, Tony's set the "standard" by which we measure guacamole. After a great deal of experimentation, Kathy has developed her own recipe which we feel best approximates Tony's recipe.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 pm

hound dog wrote:
johninajijic wrote:Of course you're kidding, right? Bi monthly is twice a month. Sometimes just a few of us friends will go out, nothing to do with the dinner group. Yes on second question. Tony the father owns the restaurant. Tony the son owns the meat market.

Actually, John, the term bi-monthly means an event that occurs once every other month and the term for an event that occurs twice a month is semi-monthly or, alternatively, bi-weekly which , while marginally different from semi-monthly, is acceptable for characterizing a sequence of recurring events over time. Your group meets to dine semi-monthly or on a bi-weekly basis and that´s just the way it is. The poster who posed the question was trying to amuse forum readers by pulling your leg but I wouldn´t lose any sleep over inconsequential sniping from others posting hereabouts.

razberry

Hows Paris?

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:38 pm

johninajijic wrote:hey Dawg - Thank you for the explanation. I'm surprised no one here picked me up on that, since everyone who lives here has major college degrees.

Yes but not in English.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

hockables wrote:
hound dog wrote:

razberry

Hows Paris?

Well, Hocks, Dawg just arrived back in Ajijic after that month in Paris and environs which was a command performance for my mother-in-law´s 90th birthday but Dawg is ecstatic to be back here on the lake even though Paris ain´t a bad place to spend some time once in a while. Since you have a good sense of humor about these matters, I must remind you that the proper inquiry is, "How´s Paris?", not "Hows Paris?" but I´m sure you know that and are funning The Dawg. So, in the interest of clarification as to how Paris is and was, it is/was:
*Unbelievably expensive
*Crowded
*Overrun with Russian tourists all of whom will bully you out of the way so they can have their photos taken in front of the Mona Lisa in the Louvre
*A fine place for oysters on the half shell and some of the best seafood on the planet but at prices that would frighten Carlos Slim
*Gasoline at the equivalent of about $10USD a gallon
*A twelve hour plane ride from Mexico City non-stop crammed in with 500 other acquiescent morons on a sixty year old 747.
*The home of the world´s worst hot dogs
*Intermittently, in May and June, cold, rainy and chilly and briefly sunny followed by cold rainy and sunny
*The home of the $1.50US one-way subway ticket ride which is the cheapest thrill in town. Be prepared for lots of company
*Home of the minimum two hour wait in line to view/attend any tourist attraction/museum/art gallery or splendid garden and edifice surrounded by the rudest people ever to inhabit the planet all chowing down on baggettes filled with ham and butter that cost at least the equivalent of $10.00USD each just for the sandwich - which can be very good but then, if you throw in the glass of wine and eclair to round out the meal you can´t afford that metro ride home

Thanks for asking, Hocks. I´ll play straight man to you anyday.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:07 pm

AAAAAAhahahahah, Bub at some of his best!

Good, now I don't have to go or feel guilty for never having been there!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm

To us Paris was one of the most beautiful cities when we visited there 40 years ago.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:16 pm

johninajijic wrote:To us Paris was one of the most beautiful cities when we visited there 40 years ago.

Looks like it mighta changed in the last 40 years.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 pm

merry wrote:
johninajijic wrote:To us Paris was one of the most beautiful cities when we visited there 40 years ago.

Merry

Why do you say that? have you been there recently? Dawg seems to like it. Everyplace changes.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:00 pm

merry wrote:

Merry

FYI, the centre of Paris, the old city, has not changed since before the French Revolution of 1789. One can dine where Jefferson, Franklin and Robespierre discussed politics.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Trailrunner:

In reviewing the Dawgs list of comments, I didn't see a single item that would negatively reflect on the beauty and positive educational benefit of having experienced Paris. Higher prices and rude tourists are a fact of life in today's world but one can rarely place a dollar value on a unique personal experience that enhances one's education.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Newsflash, it was damned expensive 40 years ago. It was even more expensive 25 years ago, and must be unbearable today.

Welcome home Dawg and Dawgette.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 pm

E-raq wrote:Newsflash, it was damned expensive 40 years ago. It was even more expensive 25 years ago, and must be unbearable today.

Welcome home Dawg and Dawgette.

The old fashioned bottles of Coke at a cafe on the Champs Elysee were $ 1.50 US. 40 years ago.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Trailrunner:

In reviewing the Dawgs list of comments, I didn't see a single item that would negatively reflect on the beauty and positive educational benefit of having experienced Paris. Higher prices and rude tourists are a fact of life in today's world but one can rarely place a dollar value on a unique personal experience that enhances one's education.

Si, CG, I'm sure that's true. But my list is long and my time is running out - I must pace myself.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

"The old fashioned bottles of Coke at a cafe on the Champs Elysee were $ 1.50 US. 40 years ago."

True and 50 years ago the Algerians were setting off bombs in the streets of Paris! The point is that it wasn't about the cost of the experience, it was about the experience and education. If you want to throw out the expense, how about $22USD for a 5th of Dewars Scotch in the "hell hole" of Bombay, India in 1959? Back in the late 50's and early 60's, there was a very popular travel book titled Europe on Five Dollars a Day published by Frommer's. Frommer kept revising the amount until he reached Europe on $95 a Day. Today a similar book might have to be titled: Europe on $400 a Day!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next