INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Countries where Retirees are Living Large

+24
hound dog
bobnliz
sandykayak
gringal
plumlake
Mainecoons
hockables
gringoman
Trailrunner
MexicoPete
georgetoo
Nosnow
slainte39
NoCanDo
ferret
viajero
Grizzy
ChickenLittle
Zedinmexico
Axixic
binky
espíritu del lago
CanuckBob
johninajijic
28 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

10 Countries where Retirees are Living Large - Page 3 Empty Re: 10 Countries where Retirees are Living Large

Post by Mainecoons Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm

And hot as hell in the summer.

Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

10 Countries where Retirees are Living Large - Page 3 Empty Re: 10 Countries where Retirees are Living Large

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:12 pm

E-raq wrote:
bobnliz wrote:San Carlos has it down for accessibility, I think. Three hundred miles south of Tucson. Not a bad drive, and we have a vehicle and our bikes.
It's a thousand miles from our summer digs... quick trip, even meandering along the way we do. Lizzy

It may be accessible, however I have spent quite a bit of time there in both summer and winter. The closest store of any reasonable description was in Guaymas. After 11 a.m. you couldn't go out in the summer. The houses up on the Caracol were built with salt water in the cement. People deny this but friends owned a factory (maquiladora) there and swore up and down it was true. Everything rusted in nanoseconds. There was one guy who did a border run for veggies and Costco stuff, once he was sold out you were toast. Maybe things have changed, but it sure wouldn't be on my list. Nice sailing though.

San Carlos has grown and even has a normal size grocery store now.
Be sure to eat at the resturant across the street from the best western. Yummy !!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:52 pm

IMO, the first thing anyone contemplating a move to anywhere should do is check out the year around temperatures. Friends of ours sold their San Carlos property and moved to lakeside because the heat in S.C. got to them.
We rejected out favorite kind of place....the beaches....because of the heat and/or humidity.

There's a good reason this area claims to be the "second best" climate in the world, and no matter what else is involved, you gotta live with the weather.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm

gringal wrote:IMO, the first thing anyone contemplating a move to anywhere should do is check out the year around temperatures. Friends of ours sold their San Carlos property and moved to lakeside because the heat in S.C. got to them.
We rejected out favorite kind of place....the beaches....because of the heat and/or humidity.

There's a good reason this area claims to be the "second best" climate in the world, and no matter what else is involved, you gotta live with the weather.

What is supposed to be the first best? It can't be in the US.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Kenya, I believe.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Axixic wrote:Kenya, I believe.
Believe you are right. I recollect it is in Africa.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Isn't that very hot?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Could it be Harare, Zimbabwe...think I heard that once. Even if true, I don't think even the weather could make that miserable political and economic mess, livable.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:14 pm

"Isn't that very hot?"

For the uneducated, that very same question could be asked of Mexico. Point being is that Kenya is a country with diverse climates depending on location, altitude and micro climates.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Specifically it is Nairobi, Kenya.

"At 1,795 metres (5,889 ft) above sea level, Nairobi enjoys a moderate climate. Under the Köppen climate classification, Nairobi has a subtropical highland climate. The altitude makes for some cool evenings, especially in the June/July season when the temperature can drop to 10 °C (50 °F). The sunniest and warmest part of the year is from December to March, when temperatures average the mid-twenties during the day. The mean maximum temperature for this period is 24 °C (75 °F).

There are two rainy seasons but rainfall can be moderate. The cloudiest part of the year is just after the first rainy season, when, until September, conditions are usually overcast with drizzle. As Nairobi is situated close to the equator, the differences between the seasons are minimal. The seasons are referred to as the wet season and dry season. The timing of sunrise and sunset varies little throughout the year, due to Nairobi's close proximity to the equator."

Source

Last edited by Axixic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:"Isn't that very hot?"

For the uneducated, that very same question could be asked of Mexico. Point being is that Kenya is a country with diverse climates depending on location, altitude and micro climates.

Ask a simple question and you can always be guaranteed of a sarcastic answer from CG. Do you know how to answer a question without being sarcastic or rude?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Medellin Colombia could fit the description as well . We would have retired there if it had not been for the narco situation...pretty funny. I believe the altitude there is between 1500 and 1800 meters above sea level.

I would think Cuernavaca is also a contender.

Last edited by brigitte on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 pm

John in Kenya,dressed in white ducks and safari hat,giving orders to the natives,what a visual!

Last edited by viajero on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Well, we've looked around. Venezuela, No, Argentina, No, Uruguay, No, Chile, No.
Costa Rica No. Jamaica, No, D.R. No. All islands are off the list.

Spain, if the euro crashes, ditto for France.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Now what about Cuba. Let's hear about that as I imagine it will break wide open within the forseeable future. The Copa Cabana will rise once again.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Portugal maybe another one to look at if the Euro crashes. Lisbon is a nice friendly capital.
The Euro would really have to crash to make France a place to look at for us.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

brigitte wrote:Portugal maybe another one to look at if the Euro crashes. Lisbon is a nice friendly capital.
The Euro would really have to crash to make France a place to look at for us.

You got that right Brigitte, on our last trip to Spain, the euro was .87 to the U.S. dollar. It was fabulous!!!!!
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Those were the good old days. We were offered a large house one hour and a half from Paris, on a river for the equivalent of 20 000 dollars by some family friends, now we could not touch it even if the euro crashed...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 pm

If it were'nt for the distance and language barrier some places in S E Asia look pretty good.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 pm

viajero wrote:
John in Kenya,dressed in white ducks and safari hat,giving orders the natives,what a visual!

A fine visual, viafro. Dawg spent a few months in Nairobi, Kampala and Moshi, Tanzania among other places back in the 60s and in those days, foreign tourists were mostly Americans in their safari hats and Jungle Jim safari outfits getting about in Land Rovers driven by Africans but Dawg was a young man relegated to the inter-city bus rides plus rides acquired by thumb and I learned something in those days when most foreigners in East Africa were Peace Corps workers or wealthy safari seekers being treated as memsahibs. Many who met Dawg in transit automatically assumed I was a Peace Corp member which I definitely was not but there was doubt that I was simply a vagabond visiting Africa and India at some 27 years old and now even I doubt the efficacy of such an irrational act which is why I did it then and not now. If you were hitching about East Africa in those days, there were three types of drivers you would encounter all of whom would treat you differently. Native Black Africans would never give you a ride if you were of European white skin. White people, mostly of European heritage, would also never disdain to pick you up and often actually sneered at you as they drove past your "thumb´s up" request for a ride. Elitest, new rich pigs or grandmas on tour buses. Asians, largely from the sub.continent, of which there were many in East Africa in the 60s before they were largely expelled a few years later, would often accomodate you with a ride and that is how Dawg got from the dangerous outbush as the night approached to the safer cities without getting his throat cut of becomming lion scat.

Fun times gone with the wind.

Last edited by hound dog on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 pm

CB:

Ignoring the state of the economy and the political situation - are you big on hurricanes?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:21 pm

I am assuming the economic and political climate is going to change dramatically in the near future. It will be the land of opportunity once that occurs. And I love a windy day...........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Dawg I just got done reading Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari,I think you might like it .

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Ok Viajero, which places specifically?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:CB:

Ignoring the state of the economy and the political situation - are you big on hurricanes?

People who like hurricanes, like the Canadians buying cheap foreclosures, buy in Florida, one of the armpits of the US. Pretty, flat and hot and humid all the time.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 pm

[quote="johninajijic"]

Isn't that very hot?[/quote]

John,

When people say that Lake Chapala has the second best climate in the world, they are inferring that the best climate in the world is in Highland Kenya on the equator. Nairobi and environs, right on or near the equator but at around 7,000 feet, has an unexcelled climate of almost constant sunshine and dry cool breezes. A fabulous place where you can still find a beautiful home for less than you would pay at Lakeside and just about everybody speaks English. Great booze and ice cream as well and some fine East Indian cuisine.

Dawg tried to talk my wife into Africa as a retirement place but failed to succeed. That´s OK, because Mexico has been a great trip so far. Eleven years and counting. We won´t leave here unless compelled to do so.

My darlin´ wife, on the other hand, thinks we should consider Medellin, Colombia now that things have settled down there. Who knows.

Last edited by hound dog on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next