INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healthcare Law in the U.S.

+17
ferret
RoofBob
hockables
gringal
Axixic
CheenaGringo
LMarkoya
Jim W
Zedinmexico
Parker
johninajijic
Mainecoons
hound dog
NoCanDo
espíritu del lago
Rolly
sampati
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Healthcare Law in the U.S. Empty Healthcare Law in the U.S.

Post by sampati Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

Does anyone know if the healthcare law passes tomorrow how it will affect those of us who are U.S. Citizens but live outside of the U.S.? Will we have to pay a penalty for not having healthcare if services are not provided to those of us who live outside the U.S.? Will the healthcare law provide services to us wherever we live? Thanks.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Healthcare Law in the U.S. Empty Re: Healthcare Law in the U.S.

Post by Rolly Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

The "fine" for not having insurance is widely misunderstood. The fine is added to your tax bill, BUT there is no mechanism for forcing you to pay it. The law specifically says the IRS cannot take civil action if you refuse to pay. This whole issue is moot. Lack of understanding has caused this matter to become a tempest in a teapot.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 am

The Supreme court ruling will be tomorrow on whether it is legal or not. Or what parts will be upheld. Also depends on whether Roberts or Kennedy writes the summary. To busy to look up specifics now.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by NoCanDo Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Rolly wrote:The "fine" for not having insurance is widely misunderstood. The fine is added to your tax bill, BUT there is no mechanism for forcing you to pay it. The law specifically says the IRS cannot take civil action if you refuse to pay. This whole issue is moot. Lack of understanding has caused this matter to become a tempest in a teapot.

First, I love your website, Rolly. Great stuff and really well done.

However, if the IRS cannot take action AT THIS TIME does not mean they won't do so in the future. The debt remains on your account and it is only a matter of time before they WILL come to collect it. All it takes is a change in the law from "can't collect" to "will collect". Piece of cake.

I spent my life working for the government watching first hand how we do it. In the end you will pay.

NoCanDo

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:11 pm

BY the way, speaking of U.S. citizens or other foreigners living in Mexico, on the Guadalajara news this morning, I heard that the Seguridad Popular will no longer enroll foreigners unless they become Mexican citizens. I don´t know if this is just local to Guadalajara or a nationwide administrative decision. This exclusion woud make sense since that program is for the poor here in Mexico and extranjeros hardy fit that bill in general - especially those here only temporarily.

Perhaps IMSS will follow this path in the near future. Private insurance will be the way to go here in Mexio as it should be if possible.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:49 pm

But doesn't it specifically exempt those on Medicare?

We'll see how much of it is around after tomorrow. :)
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Mainecoons wrote:But doesn't it specifically exempt those on Medicare?

We'll see how much of it is around after tomorrow. :)

Let's hope they kill ALL of it.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm

NoCanDo wrote:
Rolly wrote:The "fine" for not having insurance is widely misunderstood. The fine is added to your tax bill, BUT there is no mechanism for forcing you to pay it. The law specifically says the IRS cannot take civil action if you refuse to pay. This whole issue is moot. Lack of understanding has caused this matter to become a tempest in a teapot.

First, I love your website, Rolly. Great stuff and really well done.

However, if the IRS cannot take action AT THIS TIME does not mean they won't do so in the future. The debt remains on your account and it is only a matter of time before they WILL come to collect it. All it takes is a change in the law from "can't collect" to "will collect". Piece of cake.

I spent my life working for the government watching first hand how we do it. In the end you will pay.

I know that you are actually speaking to all of us but do you really understand how old we are? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 am

hound dog wrote:BY the way, speaking of U.S. citizens or other foreigners living in Mexico, on the Guadalajara news this morning, I heard that the Seguridad Popular will no longer enroll foreigners unless they become Mexican citizens. I don´t know if this is just local to Guadalajara or a nationwide administrative decision. This exclusion woud make sense since that program is for the poor here in Mexico and extranjeros hardy fit that bill in general - especially those here only temporarily.

Perhaps IMSS will follow this path in the near future. Private insurance will be the way to go here in Mexio as it should be if possible.

I agree except for one problem. The options for private health insurance become very limitied after you are 70. If you have some condition
it becomes even harder. Maybe the company will keep you if you have been with them for a while. My wife private insurance company has
a renewal point when she is 70.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 am

Some private insurers here won't take anyone over 62.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 am

I know one private insurer insures up to 64. Seguros Monterrey insures up to 69 and can never cancel you. Most companies will not pay for "pre existing" conditions, no matter how well you can prove you are now. Seguros Monterrey excludes my Epilepsy. I believe BUPA will insure ore existing if you can afford their premiums.

My advice to any one seeking private health insurance is to check each company carefully. They are nowhere near alike. One good thing about Seguros Monterrey is that they have "No Limits", so say if you get anything catastrophic and it goes to a million bucks or more they gotta pay it.

Seguros Monterrey, MetLife, AXA, GNP, etc

Never go with JimW's company ALLIANZ or you may never get paid. Parker handles them.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 am

The Supreme Court backs all parts of President Obama’s signature health care law

Read it and weap John
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:45 am

LMarkoya wrote:The Supreme Court backs all parts of President Obama’s signature health care law

Read it and weap John

I don't have to read it and weep. I have insurance here and will have medicare back in the US that you're paying for. You read it and weep. Now you gotta carry health insurance. I'm laughing at all those kids (including yours) that are going to be paying off the Nat' debt because of this for the rest of their lives. LOL.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:50 am

John:

Do you ever stop and think before you post your drivel? What would be your explanation for a conservative leaning Supreme Court upholding the law? Could it be that they actually followed their mandate and disregarded politics when making this decision?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am

CheenaGringo wrote:John:

Do you ever stop and think before you post your drivel? What would be your explanation for a conservative leaning Supreme Court upholding the law? Could it be that they actually followed their mandate and disregarded politics when making this decision?

The mandate is illegal forcing people to buy a product they don't want, when the majority of the US didn't want it. What didn't those morons not understand??
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:12 am

Why is it ok for the government to mandate car insurance, but not health insurance? Just asking a simple question, do not kill the messenger.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am

johninajijic wrote:The mandate is illegal...

Do you even understand what the SCOTUS is? They just said it was legal.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am

sampati wrote:Why is it ok for the government to mandate car insurance, but not health insurance? Just asking a simple question, do not kill the messenger.

Not sure it makes a difference to the argument. But mandated car insurance is a state thing and not a federal thing.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 am

Do you know if there are any states that do not mandate car insurance? Never knew it was a state thing, always thought it was required of everyone. Thanks.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LMarkoya Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:26 am

johninajijic wrote:

The mandate is illegal forcing people to buy a product they don't want, when the majority of the US didn't want it. What didn't those morons not understand??

Those morons are a republican majority....making you one of them ...and where do you base your facts from...what majority?
All Americans should have health care...even if they are stupid enough to think they don't need it. And the mandate is obviosly legal....its done.
LMarkoya
LMarkoya
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 am

"when the majority of the US didn't want it."

Granted this is a brand new poll but at this point in time, those who agree with the ruling outnumber those who don't by approximately a 2:1 margin:
http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12459343-vote-do-you-agree-with-supreme-court-ruling-on-health-care-law

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:37 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Granted this is a brand new poll but at this point in time, those who agree with the ruling outnumber those who don't by approximately a 2:1 margin:
http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12459343-vote-do-you-agree-with-supreme-court-ruling-on-health-care-law

I realize at this early stage that options are few but polls where participants self-select to participate cannot be relied upon.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

Just a practical question: How does this affect expats? I'm not interested in hearing "opinions"......just the facts, if anyone knows them.

Last edited by gringal on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

Are the opinions expressed by numerous participants more valid than the close minded views of a party of one?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

LMarkoya wrote:
johninajijic wrote:

Those morons are a republican majority....making you one of them ...and where do you base your facts from...what majority?
All Americans should have health care...even if they are stupid enough to think they don't need it. And the mandate is obviosly legal....its done.

ALL Americans including 26 year old KIDS as one idiot Politician referred to them as. No health care should go beyond age 18. Let them go to work and have an employer pay for part of it. ALL Americans should have health care, even the drunks and druggies who will cost the system a fortune. Then it will become like the FAILED Canadian system where everyone goes to the Dr. for a sniffle. Ask any Canadian who will answer you honestly.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next