INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STOCK UP TODAY!!

+8
Axixic
Parker
sparks
Trailrunner
brigitte
johninajijic
Mainecoons
GBATRUCKS
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

STOCK UP TODAY!! - Page 2 Empty Re: STOCK UP TODAY!!

Post by E-raq Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:34 am

Axixic wrote:RIM has mismanaged themselves into near oblivion. The company owns a lot of very valuable patents but the problem is - other than Apple - any potential take-over bidders are almost in as much trouble as they are and Apple doesn't need to take them over - can get whatever they want from them as the demise continues at fire-sale prices.

Thank God I resisted buying when I was thinking about it. Still carry a Blackberry though.

A most fortunate decision indeed. A better decision is to avoid the markets altogether. JMHO, and yes I have been involved in this over the years. Not on a professional basis, but as an interested bystander and investor. I don't leave stuff to chance, although sometimes things go horribly wrong.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:36 am

Where, then, do you invest? (If that isn't too personal.)
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 am

Axixic wrote:Where, then, do you invest? (If that isn't too personal.)

It is personal however I avoid unnecessary risk whenever possible. The stock market is not even close to one of my preferred choices, I happen to know quite a bit too much about it. Who the movers and shakers are, and I don't like what I've seen.

Investing can be summed up in one sentence " I'm more interested in the return of my capital than return on my capital." Sorry can't be bothered to look up the attribution for this.

If you're not in the know don't play in that sandbox. 'Nuff said. Been there, done that.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:46 am

I prefer the Craps Tables myself!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:51 am

You know, I really don't know enough about this stuff and I confess that I have essentially just relied on mutual funds because it's easy and the risk is spread. I have dabbled in real estate but learned that you really need to take a very 'hands on' approach and I am, frankly, too lazy to work that hard on it.

I've had associates who've done very well in the hard money market and I looked at that but you've got to be a cold-hearted bastard to do well with hard money.

So I keep coming back to what's easy and appears relatively safe (or did, until 2008).
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02 am

Axixic wrote:You know, I really don't know enough about this stuff and I confess that I have essentially just relied on mutual funds because it's easy and the risk is spread. I have dabbled in real estate but learned that you really need to take a very 'hands on' approach and I am, frankly, too lazy to work that hard on it.

I've had associates who've done very well in the hard money market and I looked at that but you've got to be a cold-hearted bastard to do well with hard money.

So I keep coming back to what's easy and appears relatively safe (or did, until 2008).

Now you see, that's where you need some friends. We sold everything including a european hedge fund in June of 2008, you know what happened next.

Stockbrokers hate my guts. Too many uncomfortable questions........
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:07 am

I know you're right. Took me until -like now- to get back to where I was pre-2008.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:20 am

Axixic wrote:I know you're right. Took me until -like now- to get back to where I was pre-2008.

Well you know the market crashes with alarming regularity. People pay attention to the big ones, not the everyday ones. They change out the Dow components all the time. Getting close to a couple of hundred now. They fall, they're out and gone, and go onto the S and P 500 unless they hit the pinks, admittedly rare. So, you don't know what you're buying unless you're willing to do the research, and to do that you have to know what to look for.

Check out this chart,

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EIXIC&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Cut in half and no way back. Done and dusted.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Axixic wrote:Other considerations aside, never post the phrase: "Stock Up Today!!" where RIM shareholders might see it.

Just sets them up for a BIG disappointment.

In the 70's I had custom plates on my XK-E: "TXT UP 3"...The guys at the Textron HQ thought it was great.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2