INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When we were young and stupid and full of fun

+18
Walter
CheenaGringo
gravy
Grizzy
gringal
Rolly
MexicoPete
Ezzie
Trailrunner
sparks
saege007
Mainecoons
LMarkoya
viajero
johninajijic
seisdedos
CanuckBob
Zedinmexico
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

When we were young and stupid and full of fun - Page 3 Empty Re: When we were young and stupid and full of fun

Post by merry Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:16 pm

NoCanDo wrote:...and if you believe that there is a bridge purchase in your future! :)

"The Bay Shore, N.Y., retiree ... has held a solid lock on the Guinness Book of World Records since 2002 when an entry for High Mileage Vehicle was created for him after passing the 1.6 million mile mark."

I believe it has to be pretty thoroughly documented to get into the Guinness Book of World Records. Jus' sayin.'

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

When we were young and stupid and full of fun - Page 3 Empty Re: When we were young and stupid and full of fun

Post by NoCanDo Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:39 pm

merry wrote:
NoCanDo wrote:...and if you believe that there is a bridge purchase in your future! :)

"The Bay Shore, N.Y., retiree ... has held a solid lock on the Guinness Book of World Records since 2002 when an entry for High Mileage Vehicle was created for him after passing the 1.6 million mile mark."

I believe it has to be pretty thoroughly documented to get into the Guinness Book of World Records. Jus' sayin.'

Merry

I didn't say it was not the Guinness Book of World Records high mileage vehicle. I believe it is.

I said I don't believe the engine rebuild stats. I'd like to know what they mean by "rebuild". I don't believe a diesel can meet that standard, much less a gasser.

NoCanDo

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm

While Volvos do have a fairly decent reputation for longevity, those rebuild stats should be suspect.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm

NoCanDo wrote:
merry wrote:

Merry
...I said I don't believe the engine rebuild stats. I'd like to know what they mean by "rebuild". I don't believe a diesel can meet that standard, much less a gasser.

Agreed. The guy has had it since it was new, and has done most or all of the work himself. So I suspect it's a little like the definition of "sex" since he could do everything BUT -- and still say it was not a rebuild.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoCanDo Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:01 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:While Volvos do have a fairly decent reputation for longevity, those rebuild stats should be suspect.

Damn right! Okay, I know we're talking Hollywood pictures here but folks should think about it. 46 years of being a daily driver and no rust holes, no sagging frame no nothin'? Come on! Nice and shiney car and proud owner (and I am happy for him). 46 years of daily driving!!! How does yours look after 10?

I know a woman in my area with an early 70's Beetle. When I met her and she told me what she owned my first response was "Damn! How much did you spend on bodywork over the years"? I could care less about the engine work.

Body work is more than engine work. The article never mentioned that.

NoCanDo

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:17 pm

He says in the article they are mostly HIGHWAY miles!

"Before his retirement Irvin clocked 125 miles a day commuting. But he is an inveterate road-tripper. Before his divorce he would routinely pack up the family and head off to Canada, the Midwest, Texas. Even today, divorced and with his children grown, he continues to pile on the mile traveling alone."

M.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Doesn't say how big his family was but the back seat in the P1800S was good for much! A buddy and I took a ski trip driving from Minneapolis the roundabout route to Las Vegas and then back. It was all we could do to cram all our gear inside the car and eleven pairs of skis on a roof rack. Roof rack blew off the car about 20 miles outside of Jackson Hole, WY and we had a bitch of a time limping into Jackson Hole with all the skis sticking out the windows.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoCanDo Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 pm

merry wrote:He says in the article they are mostly HIGHWAY miles!

"Before his retirement Irvin clocked 125 miles a day commuting. But he is an inveterate road-tripper. Before his divorce he would routinely pack up the family and head off to Canada, the Midwest, Texas. Even today, divorced and with his children grown, he continues to pile on the mile traveling alone."

M.

Hey, Big M.

It don't matter if it is highway or local. 46 years is 46 years.

It rains all the time, there is salt every winter. It is what it is.

It's okay.

It's Hollywood.

NoCanDo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 am

I gave my Sister a 90 Maxima 5 speed for the kids to learn manual on. It had
276k miles when I gave it to here. It now has 376K. The heads have never
been pulled. It drove highway miles before I got it commuting. Change the oil
and do slow RPM highway miles and a engine can last a very long time.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am

NoCanDo wrote:
merry wrote:He says in the article they are mostly HIGHWAY miles!

M.
Hey, Big M.
It don't matter if it is highway or local. 46 years is 46 years...

Respectfully and strongly disagree, NoCanDo. Highway miles are far less stressful on the frame and all components of a car than stop and go city miles.

Regards,
Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am

merry - what year Jeep Grand Cherokee do you have and how many miles on it?

NoCanDo - Highway miles vs. city miles are like 1/2 of the driving miles in wear and tear. Any vehicle with 100 K highway miles is like 40 K city miles.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:55 am

Highway miles are always easier on a vehicle except when they aren't!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:03 am

johninajijic wrote:merry - what year Jeep Grand Cherokee do you have and how many miles on it?

NoCanDo - Highway miles vs. city miles are like 1/2 of the driving miles in wear and tear. Any vehicle with 100 K highway miles is like 40 K city miles.

John, it's a 98, I bought it brand new and planned from the start to keep it 10 years, as if that was an eternity! When 10 years came and went it was still like new to me (virtually ALL highway miles and good upkeep), so I just kept it! Also it's a 5.9 Limited, one of the largest and strongest engines and I believe only manufactured two years ever. There may be a 5.8 but that was also a limited run. I have about 180,000 miles on it and have not had the engine rebuilt (knocking on wood!). I love almost everything about it.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:08 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Highway miles are always easier on a vehicle except when they aren't!

Oh yeah, another thing to add to our List of Scary and Dangerous Things: highways AND SUV's!

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:20 am

merry wrote:
johninajijic wrote:merry - what year Jeep Grand Cherokee do you have and how many miles on it?

John, it's a 98, I bought it brand new and planned from the start to keep it 10 years, as if that was an eternity! When 10 years came and went it was still like new to me (virtually ALL highway miles and good upkeep), so I just kept it! Also it's a 5.9 Limited, one of the largest and strongest engines and I believe only manufactured two years ever. There may be a 5.8 but that was also a limited run. I have about 180,000 miles on it and have not had the engine rebuilt (knocking on wood!). I love almost everything about it.

Merry

I think you're very lucky and part of it could be the highway miles. I have friends here who have a 2000 or 2001 Grand Cherokee, they put tires on at 30 K, probably the way she drives. Then put 2 transmissions in it and one complete engine rebuild and God knows what else. It's a total POS. I think there is less than 70 K miles on it, but city driving here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 am

johninajijic wrote:
merry wrote:

Merry

I think you're very lucky and part of it could be the highway miles. I have friends here who have a 2000 or 2001 Grand Cherokee, they put tires on at 30 K, probably the way she drives. Then put 2 transmissions in it and one complete engine rebuild and God knows what else. It's a total POS. I think there is less than 70 K miles on it, but city driving here.

I'm not lucky, John; I know how to take care of a car. You say it in your own post... "probably the way she drives... city driving."

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Man finds his prized Austin Healey on eBay -- 42 years after it was stolen from his home

"A man whose prized sports car was stolen 42 years ago recovered the vehicle after spotting it on eBay, authorities said Sunday.

Robert Russell, 66, a retired sales manager, told the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department that he had never given up searching for the 1967 Austin Healey after it was stolen from his Philadelphia home in 1970.

Russell recently spotted what he thought was his car listed on eBay by the Beverly Hills Car Club. He checked the vehicle identification number on the website with the one on the car's title certificate and found they were a match, the sheriff’s department said in a news release........

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/15/12751989-man-finds-his-prized-austin-healey-on-ebay-42-years-after-it-was-stolen-from-his-home?lite

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Great post Neil.

It brings back the old days when hot cars were so important to me. I was very insecure then and thought a hot new car would make people like me more. Today, who gives a SH!T.

The last car that I bought was in 2000. It was a new Ford Explorer Sport and still works just great. (just don't look at all of the scratches and dents.)

So what type of car is John driving? I bet because he is insecure it will always be a new expensive car from the US. If he has class it will be a Mercedes, Porches, BMW, or another fancy car from Europe.

So what are you driving here John, a pimpmobile like a newer Cadillac which has very low consumer report ratings?

Just curious.

Your friend
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Come on Pete. How many times has he told everyone that it is a Ford Explorer? OH, I left out a very important detail - it is the Eddie Bauer edition!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Great memory Neil. I got the two door Explorer Sport.

Now don’t tell anyone folks, but I have a a new Mercedes and Porsche in the bat cave. And with help from Spiderman I’m going to bring down an even more expensive car very soon. I’m trying to keep up with you know who, who lives in that elegant neighborhood between Ajijic and San Juan Cosala.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3