INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish?

+4
gringal
Mainecoons
MexicoPete
OhioDan
8 posters

Go down

Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish? Empty Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish?

Post by OhioDan Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Has anyone purchased a used Shaw elliptical dish recently? I have a quote from a local supplier of $3,000 pesos for a dish and $1.000 pesos for installation and setup. Don't know if this is a reasonable price or not. This cost is just for the dish and does not ibclude a receiver which I already have. Thanks for any info you can offer.
OhioDan
OhioDan

Back to top Go down

Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish? Empty Re: Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish?

Post by MexicoPete Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Is it the 75 E or 60 E and does it include the LNB?
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish? Empty Re: Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish?

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Check with Gringal, I think she had one.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioDan Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:21 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Is it the 75 E or 60 E and does it include the LNB?

Pete, see TOB. Thanks
OhioDan
OhioDan

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:22 am

Mainecoons wrote:Check with Gringal, I think she had one.

Nope. Had a used round one. Don't remember the price.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am

I've got a 60E anyone can have for free.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 am

Carry Bean wrote:I've got a 60E anyone can have for free.

With or without LNB (thing out on the stick).???

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:47 am

Gotta love it when Zed talks technical!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:37 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Gotta love it when Zed talks technical!

Yea but if you say LNB people will go what?? If you say thing out on the stick they know what I am talking about.
Learned that lesson 30 years ago.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 am

Cost for a used Shaw elliptical dish? 028

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 am

Whoa, I didn't mean it to be that big.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am

I will recycle it if you want. The quad LNB's are worth saving. The dish
is marginal for service down here but it can work but you will have more
outages during cloudy season than the 75E but it can work. Where
are you? I can use the LNB for spare parts but the dish I would probably
scrap.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:25 am

I'll PM you.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 am

Never mind, Zed. Someone else needs it to use as is.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 am

Carry Bean wrote:Never mind, Zed. Someone else needs it to use as is.

Ok that is a better use anyway. Just make sure to sight it in with a good signal finder or the results might not be as good
as it can be and you will need the 60 to be aligned exactly down here.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm

I have a 60 E up North and it works great. But a 60 E down here, Forget it. I remember when then Star Choice upgraded Sat F-1 at 107.3 to Sat F-1R which had a slightly tighter beam and therefore weaker signal this far south. Those who put in the smaller dish were screwed and had to get the 75 E.

Sure under ideal conditions you can often get reception, if you have a hot LNB. But check your signal strength using the receiver signal strength meter, and the strength will be close to 25 or so on a good day. Talk to a level two tech at Shaw Direct and he will tell you, that you should have at least a reading in the mid 70s to ensure that when it is cloudy or raining you will have a reliable signal. With my 75 E that probably could be tweaked a little, I'm getting 85 to 86 at the moment on Anik F-1R located at 107.3 W and 75 to 76 at Anik F 2 located at 111.1 degrees W.

And with this signal strength I only loose my TV feed during the heaviest of rains.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 am

MexicoPete wrote:I have a 60 E up North and it works great. But a 60 E down here, Forget it. I remember when then Star Choice upgraded Sat F-1 at 107.3 to Sat F-1R which had a slightly tighter beam and therefore weaker signal this far south. Those who put in the smaller dish were screwed and had to get the 75 E.

Sure under ideal conditions you can often get reception, if you have a hot LNB. But check your signal strength using the receiver signal strength meter, and the strength will be close to 25 or so on a good day. Talk to a level two tech at Shaw Direct and he will tell you, that you should have at least a reading in the mid 70s to ensure that when it is cloudy or raining you will have a reliable signal. With my 75 E that probably could be tweaked a little, I'm getting 85 to 86 at the moment on Anik F-1R located at 107.3 W and 75 to 76 at Anik F 2 located at 111.1 degrees W.

And with this signal strength I only loose my TV feed during the heaviest of rains.

I have seen 60 work down here is all I am saying. I agree with Pete its not a great solution and for sure in the clouds signal goes bye bye.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:00 am

When I switched to Shaw, they swapped out the LNB on my 4' round Dish-TV sat dish...works fine.
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, it does work fine, in fact you get a stronger signal than we (75 E) do from the one satellite you are pointing at.

The trouble is, there are two satellites and soon to be three. You are therefore only getting some of what is being offered and also some of the package you are most likely paying for.

To see what you are missing go to
http://www.lyngsat.com/

Link to Packages, America, and then look at the programming available on Anik-F1r at 107.3 and Anik-F2 at 111.1 degrees West

With the setup as you described above with a parabolic not an elliptical dish you are only pointing at one of the 2 satellites.

Remember much of the equipment down here is older and the lowest channel shown on your TV screen is 200 (Classic schedule). Newer accounts have the new channel schedule which is shown at the lynsat link you are looking at and the channel #s start at channel 2 and go upward from there.

Yes it can get confusing
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:59 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Yes, it does work fine, in fact you get a stronger signal than we (75 E) do from the one satellite you are pointing at.

The trouble is, there are two satellites and soon to be three. You are therefore only getting some of what is being offered and also some of the package you are most likely paying for.

To see what you are missing go to
http://www.lyngsat.com/

Link to Packages, America, and then look at the programming available on Anik-F1r at 107.3 and Anik-F2 at 111.1 degrees West

With the setup as you described above with a parabolic not an elliptical dish you are only pointing at one of the 2 satellites.

Remember much of the equipment down here is older and the lowest channel shown on your TV screen is 200 (Classic schedule). Newer accounts have the new channel schedule which is shown at the lynsat link you are looking at and the channel #s start at channel 2 and go upward from there.

Yes it can get confusing

I don't think the new sat is going to have a large enough footprint to be recieved here. Do you know something I dont know Pete?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Here is what I know. When checking with Shaw Direct technicians and dealers in Canada last January, all said that we could get it down here. However when I looked at the footprint from the satellite manufacturer, it said the Footprint was only going to be viewable a few hundred miles south of the US, Canadian boarder.

So what I'm saying is, I know I will get it when I'm up North but am not sure down here. I could check again but, I’m not going to worry about it until I’m up north again and decide whether to get a new Quad LNB or not for down here.

Yes, you will need to have a new LNB (the electronics in front of your dish) in order to get the third satellite should you be in an area that receives the signal.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks Pete: After you put your new LNB for the third bird you will have to
tell Shaw that you have changed your dish and they change something in
your box to get the third bird. Hopefully they will put that setting into the
box menus as some point.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:58 pm

I know the new LNBs are available right now. And if you get a new system the E 60 or E 75 package comes with an LNB that will pick up all three birds. I have read on several forums that trying to bore-site in a system with this new LNB was a few months ago and I presume still is a little tricky, because there is not signal yet from the unlaunched 3rd bird.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down