INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costco Endorsement

+15
ComputerGuy
Big Daddy Mexico
Zedinmexico
bobnliz
gringal
hound dog
binky
johninajijic
Rosa Venus
viajero
ferret
hockables
seisdedos
MexicoPete
CheenaGringo
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Costco Endorsement - Page 2 Empty Re: Costco Endorsement

Post by hound dog Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:22 pm

[quote="viajero"]Dawg,eleven years here and you've never been to Costco????[/quote]

Well OK, we used to go there to buy good quality beef when we first got here but that´s about it. Once we got into the San Cristóbal home refurbishment project in 2006, which became a time consuming affair way down there, we have seldom shopped in Guadalajara, especially since retail selections at Lakeside have improved so much over when we arrived here. Back in 2001, shopping trips to Guadalajara were more common for us and essential for certain things - not including television sets at Walmart as it turned out. In San Cristóbal, there is a Sam´s Club, Bodega Aurrera and Chedraui but I don´t believe there is a Costco in all of Chiapas - even in Tuxtla Gutierrez so we haven´t had occasion to join.

By the way, CNBC aired a special program on Costco recently where the filmmakers posed the notion that Costco depends heavily on impulse buying among its members and the documentary producers contended that many shoppers invariably leave with far more "impulse" items that they had intended to buy and thus, on average, spend far more money than they had originally intended to spend. They contended that that is Costco´s game plan to increase profitability and they, as part of the documentary, interviewed severaI shopping "junkies" who claimed to be obsessed with overbuying there. I don´t know if that´s true and am simply parroting whet the documentary said but that reminds me of that famous Seinfeld episode where Kramer went to the old Price Club and came home with something like a five year supply of cans of "Beef-a-Roni" because it was such a good deal and ended up feeding it to his horse.

While we are unlikely to join Costco since there is not one in Chiapas and we spend half the year down there, Gringal´s comment about Costco Mexico´s return policy is noted and it is encouraging to hear that Costco down here follows the lead of Costco in the U.S. We´ll keep that in mind for future big ticket item purchases while at Lakeside. It would make sense to join for that return policy peace-of-mind and I, for one, appreciate the input.

hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:48 pm

Impulse and overbuying there can be a problem,I've got a couple of gallon size cans of olives in case your interested.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 pm

viajero wrote:Impulse and overbuying there can be a problem,I've got a couple of gallon size cans of olives in case your interested.

Easy to do. We just returned from out last journey to Costco. (Card expired). From now on, we'll be using Lakeside Express for those giant toilet paper packages and years' supply of garbage bags.
We were protected by having the LIST, and bought nothing else except a bag of California grown artichokes.
Oh yum. Nostalgia time. cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 pm

gringal wrote:
We were protected by having the LIST, and bought nothing else except a bag of California grown artichokes.
Just curious will you be serving those with mayo or melted butter?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:03 pm

As much as I love Costco in the US, I don't get the attraction in Mexico.

It's certainly not a bargain here.

And, I prefer using individual stores locally: Pacifica for fish; the pescadoria next to SuperLakes for cleaned/deviened shrimp (he does it himself); El Torito for chorizo and pork (his chamorros are terrific; Susazon for arrachera (it's our only 'red' meat); the Tianguis for veggies and for Denis' duck confit and pate's. I don't bother to cook chicken here...I either buy the 'dusty' chicken in San Antonio or a rotisserie chicken from El Pechugon.

Granted we eat out a lot (that's the best thing about living here...the affordability to do that), but why would I waste the gas to drive to Costco??? And yes, I have....twice. I did buy a few big ticket items when we first moved here (a huge patio set) and a TV.

What the heck are you folks buying at Costco in Guadalajara that you can't get locally????
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:04 pm

hound dog wrote:I wouldn´t bet on Costco Mexico following Costco U.S. return policies. That´s why I believe any accolades paid Costco in the U.S. should include the caveat that Costco Mexico is a Mexican corporation with joint ownership between Costco in the U.S. and its Mexican corporate partner(s) since that´s the way things are done down here. Costco Mexico´s return policy may be very different from that followed in the U.S.

While I do not mean to compare Walmart with Costco since I know virtually nothing about Costco and never shop there, when we arrived down here in 2001, we bought an expensive large screen SONY T.V. at Walmart in Galerias Plaza and had it delivered to our home in Ajijic where it promply ceased to function within the first week we owned it. We immediately went back to Walmart with the just-issued receipt and requested that they replace it with another like T.V. set. They absolutely and, I might add, curtly, refused and told us that our problem was SONY´s problem and not their´problem so we should complain to SONY which, as we had no choice, we proceeded to do. We were new in Mexico and had expected, foolishly as it turned out, to be treated as we would have expected to have been treated in any large mega-store in the U.S. where we would have expected that the store immediately and courteously replace the obviously defective and very expensive (at the equivalent of $1,300 USD in 2001) television.

When we approached SONY, we learned even more about what living in our newly adopted country was going to be like. In those days we had to approach a SONY repair shop in Guadalajara who, within a week or so, picked up the television set and took it to their shop up there. It turns out that a part they called a "transformer" or something like that, had failed immediately upon use and needed replacement.

It gets even better. Since, according to the SONY service manager, these parts never fail, much less immediately upon purchase, they had to send off to Mexico City for a replacement part and we waited and waited for them to get that part here in Mexico and nothing happened. No one would admit that Mexico is the land of "no inventory" and that everywhere they looked here in Mexico there was not even one replacement "transformer". SONY in Mexico City kept telling SONY in Guadalajara that they could expect the new part at any time and Guadalajara dared not call Mexico City´s bluff because that is not the way things are done in Mexico. Well, to make a long story short, it turns out, (and Mexico City never admitted this), that they had to requisition a new part from the manufacturer in Japan. It took over six months to get that part which, of couse, had to be shipped (probably by slow freighter) from Japan to Mexico City and then trans-shipped to Guadalajara where the T.V. was finally repaired and sent back to us in Ajijic some seven months after we approached Walmex requesting they replace the defective television set they had just sold us.

Mexico ain´t New Mexico.

We would not dream of ever buying any large appliance from Walmart anywhere in Mexico ever again. Your experience may differ and its seems to be just the luck of the draw but don´t presume that, just because CG´s New Mexico experience with a mega-store was so refreshing, yours here in Old Mexico will be as well. I know nothing about Costco as I stated above so can´t speak to the subject of buying at Costco in Mexico but - buyer beware whereever you invest in expensive apliances. at any large store or small store for that matter. Don´t automatically expect great service if you buy a lemon.

Well, Dawg... we have only ever returned one item to WallyWorld in Guaymas. No hay problema.
It did take three "associates" to complete the transaction, but it was taken care of in a relatively short time.
Good to be forewarned about the possibility of problems returning electronics. We will be sure to ask many questions BEFORE buying. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:06 pm

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

MMMMMMMelted butter. The real deal, lightly salted.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 pm

hound dog quote - "When we approached SONY, we learned even more about what living in our newly adopted country was going to be like. In those days we had to approach a SONY repair shop in Guadalajara who, within a week or so, picked up the television set and took it to their shop up there. It turns out that a part they called a "transformer" or something like that, had failed immediately upon use and needed replacement.

It gets even better. Since, according to the SONY service manager, these parts never fail, much less immediately upon purchase, they had to send off to Mexico City for a replacement part and we waited and waited for them to get that part here in Mexico and nothing happened. No one would admit that Mexico is the land of "no inventory" and that everywhere they looked here in Mexico there was not even one replacement "transformer". SONY in Mexico City kept telling SONY in Guadalajara that they could expect the new part at any time and Guadalajara dared not call Mexico City´s bluff because that is not the way things are done in Mexico. Well, to make a long story short, it turns out, (and Mexico City never admitted this), that they had to requisition a new part from the manufacturer in Japan. It took over six months to get that part which, of couse, had to be shipped (probably by slow freighter) from Japan to Mexico City and then trans-shipped to Guadalajara where the T.V. was finally repaired and sent back to us in Ajijic some seven months after we approached Walmex requesting they replace the defective television set they had just sold us.

Mexico ain´t New Mexico.

We would not dream of ever buying any large appliance from Walmart anywhere in Mexico ever again. Your experience may differ and its seems to be just the luck of the draw but don´t presume that, just because CG´s New Mexico experience with a mega-store was so refreshing, yours here in Old Mexico will be as well. I know nothing about Costco as I stated above so can´t speak to the subject of buying at Costco in Mexico but - buyer beware whereever you invest in expensive apliances. at any large store or small store for that matter. Don´t automatically expect great service if you buy a lemon."

Question, which SONY TV repair shop did you do business with?

For the minor issues that I've had, I have never had a problem getting parts in a few days from SONY. It depends on which dealer you do business with.

No one in their right mind would buy any large appliance or TV from Walmart. Walmart like Costco sells less expensive models to compete and most times are not the latest models with technical innovation. TV's are improving every year. FYI, SONY comes out with new models every year in July.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

gringal wrote:
viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

MMMMMMMelted butter. The real deal, lightly salted.
You're cruel. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm

As Chris pointed out, Costco has excellent employee pay and benefits and they do rely heavily on the impulse items. Kathy lost a store manager to Costco because she was unable to come close on the benefit package. It was a real eye opener to listen to her former manager's tales of their sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They measured their daily success not only by daily sales totals but also "average cart". A good day during the holiday season was an average cart of over $1000 and a daily sales figure of over $1M.

As a side note; this particular person came to view the success as an opportunity and was fired for helping herself to some of that success!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:52 am

bobnliz wrote:
hound dog wrote:I wouldn´t bet on Costco Mexico following Costco U.S. return policies. That´s why I believe any accolades paid Costco in the U.S. should include the caveat that Costco Mexico is a Mexican corporation with joint ownership between Costco in the U.S. and its Mexican corporate partner(s) since that´s the way things are done down here. Costco Mexico´s return policy may be very different from that followed in the U.S.

While I do not mean to compare Walmart with Costco since I know virtually nothing about Costco and never shop there, when we arrived down here in 2001, we bought an expensive large screen SONY T.V. at Walmart in Galerias Plaza and had it delivered to our home in Ajijic where it promply ceased to function within the first week we owned it. We immediately went back to Walmart with the just-issued receipt and requested that they replace it with another like T.V. set. They absolutely and, I might add, curtly, refused and told us that our problem was SONY´s problem and not their´problem so we should complain to SONY which, as we had no choice, we proceeded to do. We were new in Mexico and had expected, foolishly as it turned out, to be treated as we would have expected to have been treated in any large mega-store in the U.S. where we would have expected that the store immediately and courteously replace the obviously defective and very expensive (at the equivalent of $1,300 USD in 2001) television.

When we approached SONY, we learned even more about what living in our newly adopted country was going to be like. In those days we had to approach a SONY repair shop in Guadalajara who, within a week or so, picked up the television set and took it to their shop up there. It turns out that a part they called a "transformer" or something like that, had failed immediately upon use and needed replacement.

Mexico ain´t New Mexico.

We would not dream of ever buying any large appliance from Walmart anywhere in Mexico ever again. Your experience may differ and its seems to be just the luck of the draw but don´t presume that, just because CG´s New Mexico experience with a mega-store was so refreshing, yours here in Old Mexico will be as well. I know nothing about Costco as I stated above so can´t speak to the subject of buying at Costco in Mexico but - buyer beware whereever you invest in expensive apliances. at any large store or small store for that matter. Don´t automatically expect great service if you buy a lemon.

Well, Dawg... we have only ever returned one item to WallyWorld in Guaymas. No hay problema.
It did take three "associates" to complete the transaction, but it was taken care of in a relatively short time.
Good to be forewarned about the possibility of problems returning electronics. We will be sure to ask many questions BEFORE buying. Lizzy

I returned a watch to WalMart after it stopped working. It did take three people and you do stand
there for a while they go visit the return Oracle book of policies which can only be read on tuesdays.

Costco returning the wrong ink jet cart. was done and what else can we do for you was said. I buy
my electronics at Costco as I have someone to deal with. Walmart is walmart and not a good place
to buy expensive electronics.

Z
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:39 am

We have not paid for a Costco Membership for years, since we were upgraded to the Executive Membership. We used to get back the max every year in Canada and then when we transfered it to Mexico 4 years ago, they were great about it. Did not charge anything and gave it for a year.

Now, every year when it expires, they tell us at the cash register and we use our built up money to pay for the membership, plus we get a couple of free shopping trips aswell.

We have had to return quite a bit of stuff over the years from electronics to kids stuff. Have never had to take in a bill or had any problems.

I will say though, It does help to have a Beautiful Mexican wife who knows how to talk to people. She has gotten me out of alot of 'Sticky' situations, always smelling like a rose. LOL
flag waver
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:49 am

That's nice for you, Big Daddy, but I can't get a good looking Mexican spouse since I brought the big Gringo husband down with me when I moved here. lol

Costco really is good about returns, here as well as it was in the States, so we're still customers.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 am

gringal wrote:That's nice for you, Big Daddy, but I can't get a good looking Mexican spouse since I brought the big Gringo husband down with me when I moved here. lol

Costco really is good about returns, here as well as it was in the States, so we're still customers.
flag waver

Haha, too funny.

You need to get a good looking Gardener. LOL just kiddin.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:02 am

Returns to WalMart here as goofy as the wrong size of gym shorts, and as annoying as wrongly-priced food, has never been a problem for me since it opened. I don't know if it's because the large gringo pop. has caused a shift in management style or not. I do know that, like any developing country, things are slowly changing.

To answer the CostCo question "what can you buy there that you can't here": all kinds of things. So many things.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 am

[quote="viajero"]
gringal wrote:
Just curious will you be serving those with mayo or melted butter?[/quote]

I am reminded of the Giant Artichoke drive-in in Castroville, California on Monterey Bay. Castroville deems itself the artichoke capital of Caifornia and the surrounding fields are covered with fields of artichokes which like the foggy, cool climate along the bay. Back in the 1960s when I was occasionally assigned work in Monterey, a few trips to the Giant Artichoke were essential. They served up artichokes prepared in various traditional ways and also prepared deep fried fresh artichoke hearts which were delicious. Dawg used to go to the condiment table and prepare a dipping sauce by combining mayonnaise with finely chopped oinions and use that as a dip for either the fried artichoke hearts or steamed whole artichokes.

My wife is French and usually dips artichokes, whether steamed or raw, in a vinegar and oil concoction. In Dawg´s Alabama of the 1950s, artichokes meant only the hearts pickled in escabeche in a jar. There were probably very few people in my home town in those days who ever even saw a whole artichoke much less had mastered the art of coping with eating a whole, steamed artichoke.

By the way, not only artichokes but brussels sprouts love that foggy, cool climate along the shores of Monterey Bay (and remember the lettuce crop in James Dean´s East of Eden in the nearby and also cool North Salinas Valley where most of the summer lettuce crop in the U.S. is produced) and, back in the 1970s when we moved to the town of Aptos on the bay, I learned the hard way why you do not want to live next to a brussels sprout field. There is no odor on earth like the odor of harvested brussels sprouts residues rotting in the field week after week. If you are getting a deal on an apartment there, check around to see what´s growing next door.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:15 pm

.....and then there was the Brussels Sprouts Festival, held with full tongue in cheek appreciation for the little devils. The local chefs prepared them in creative ways and there was something for everyone, including those who hate them: the SPROUTS TOSS. With prizes.

I have always wondered what imaginative soul figured out that you could actually eat an artichoke. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:19 pm

gringal wrote:.....and then there was the Brussels Sprouts Festival, held with full tongue in cheek appreciation for the little devils. The local chefs prepared them in creative ways and there was something for everyone, including those who hate them: the SPROUTS TOSS. With prizes.

I have always wondered what imaginative soul figured out that you could actually eat an artichoke. Shocked

CHOKE being the operative word...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm

gringal wrote:

Same guy that first ate a raw oyster.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:
gringal wrote:That's nice for you, Big Daddy, but I can't get a good looking Mexican spouse since I brought the big Gringo husband down with me when I moved here. lol

flag waver

Haha, too funny.

You need to get a good looking Gardener. LOL just kiddin.

Well.....ERaq has the POOL BOY. I already have a good looking gardener.........who also happens to be the Big Gringo who talked me into moving to Mexico. Small yard here.
Seeya at the Hole in One. I want my discuento.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:27 pm

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

That wasn't Adam?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:44 pm

seisdedos wrote:
viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

That wasn't Adam?
Could have been,he was the first guy to get laid wasn't he?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:05 pm

......and look how that turned out!!!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Here we go again with another endorsement to Costco's return policy. No big surprise that we purchased toooo many treasures this last trip but Kathy's hard side polycarbonate suitcase trashed a handle and my large nylon wheeled duffel had a main zipper go bad. Both purchased at Costco (the hard side back in January and the duffel a bit over a year ago) and returned today. Not a single question as to how the damages happened and full refund! Just one more reason to shop at Costco!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Another Costco surprise - our Panasonic microwave door latch ceased functioning the other night with part of dinner stuck inside. Called Panasonic the next morning to see if any tricks were available to get the door latch working. Instant denial since the microwave was over one year old but I could take it to their authorized service center and pay to have it repaired. I decided to check with Costco to find out just when we had purchased it with the hopes that I could argue about the warranty. Turns out that it was purchased in March of 2009 and I made the instant assumption that it wasn't returnable. Wrong! I said I would still have to take it to the service center to get the dish with food out. Wrong again! Customer service told me to pry the door open with a screwdriver and it didn't make any difference to them if the door was damaged. We now have a brand new microwave.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 pm

That's great!!! I'm sure that it wouldn't be that way for Costco in Mexico. It might be a different company like Walmart. But I have no experience with Costco in Mexico.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next