INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about buying a Scooter

+16
bobnliz
Zedinmexico
Intercasa
hkrause
ferret
viajero
Big Daddy Mexico
CheenaGringo
johninajijic
otrocanuck
Ms.Thang
Mainecoons
gringal
Rosa Venus
Jim W
Axixic
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thinking about buying a Scooter - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking about buying a Scooter

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

viajero wrote:IMO motorcycles handle the roads here much better than scooters.
Big Daddy what's the price on that 150cc?

I will find out the price and send it to you tomorrow.

Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Thinking about buying a Scooter - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking about buying a Scooter

Post by Axixic Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 pm

johninajijic wrote:C'mon you're a "real" man. Buy a motorcycle. Put on those leathers in the cooler weather. Who knows who you might attract?

John,

I'm a faggot. Not trying to be a "real" man (whatever that is).

Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:17 pm

ferret wrote:I don't think there's a problem buying a second hand vehicle in Mexico:
1) If there is a file with all the maintenance records included
2) If you have it checked out by your own mechanic

When we sold both our VW bug and then the Chevy C2, our files got significantly lighter. I keep ALL paperwork to do with a car.
BTW, the VW bug was used, the Chevy C2 was new and our present vehicle was bought used...no problems and no complaints with any of them...all Mexican vehicles.

We actually found our last vehicle at the Tianguis in Guad. The guy brought it out to Ajijic and we had Car City look at it for $300 pesos. Needed about $5,000 pesos in minor repairs. Went online to check out if there was anything owing and paid the cash. Already have put over 5000 km on it and still runs great.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Big Daddy,

Thanks but my M/C days are behind me. Long story but I won't drive them anymore.

A scooter seems more my speed.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hkrause Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Have wondered about 2-wheelers around town with the cobblestones. I've ridden motorcycles all my life, and hate the feel when riding on gravel. However, that's loose and I'm not certain how it compares to more solid cobblestones. I know fat tires were much better on gravel to reduce that "vague" feeling, but see people riding skinny tire bikes and bicycles here. Anybody with thoughts on how the cobbles compare to loose gravel?
hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Our scooter handles the cobblestones just fine, not a problem at all. loose gravel is only a problem if you don't use proper caution for that condition.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:Our scooter handles the cobblestones just fine, not a problem at all. loose gravel is only a problem if you don't use proper caution for that condition.

And at 5 miles per hour, with training wheels....How can ya have a problem? drunk
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Big Daddy Mexico wrote:
viajero wrote:IMO motorcycles handle the roads here much better than scooters.
Big Daddy what's the price on that 150cc?

I will find out the price and send it to you tomorrow.
Thanks.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:43 pm

I have an enduro now but had a scooter. Scooters can be good if you get a 150cc model as you can easily carry 2 people up hills, also get one with big wheels to get over the topes and bumps without bottoming out. Between hanging bags on the handle bars, having them below next to my feet and in the compartment under the seat, I kid you not I have been able to carry a modest cartful of groceries home from Soriana with a scooter. I bought new to not worry, if you have the $$$ then buy new to have a warranty and then you can baby your scooter so it will last a long time.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 am

Axixic wrote:Safety is a concern, for sure. But at the lower "in town" speeds I feel (perhaps stupidly) less concerned.

The problem with a quad is that they aren't street legal. I note that doesn't seem to matter Lakeside but I may want to take it with me to other areas. I would want something that can be properly licensed and insured.

They can be. I have seen them with plates here.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:38 am

Axixic wrote:
johninajijic wrote:C'mon you're a "real" man. Buy a motorcycle. Put on those leathers in the cooler weather. Who knows who you might attract?

John,

I'm a faggot. Not trying to be a "real" man (whatever that is).

ROTFL... Axixic... I do like your attitude. giggle... "Take no prisoners!" razberry

If you are ever in San Carlos... look us up. Thinking about buying a Scooter - Page 2 169387 Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:20 am

Intercasa wrote:I have an enduro now but had a scooter. Scooters can be good if you get a 150cc model as you can easily carry 2 people up hills, also get one with big wheels to get over the topes and bumps without bottoming out. Between hanging bags on the handle bars, having them below next to my feet and in the compartment under the seat, I kid you not I have been able to carry a modest cartful of groceries home from Soriana with a scooter. I bought new to not worry, if you have the $$$ then buy new to have a warranty and then you can baby your scooter so it will last a long time.

Spence,

Did you ride your scooter between Guad and Lakeside?

Also, do you know if those 4-wheelers can be licensed and insured for street use? I was under the impression they could not.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:43 pm

I too have seen Quads with license plates. There is a new Guad dealership in Joco by Salvador's in Jocotepec. From a friend "That's Salvador the mechanic. It is a quad sales business. Anyone interested in purchasing a quad, stop by and check them out. They have a nice selection and will be selling gently used, as well as new. The gently used, were part of the business that used to take people on quad tours. These are not quads that have been hauling four or five people on them all over creation and back. "
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Axixic wrote:Right. Gay guy on a Harley. THAT'S gonna happen.

The Gals do it... ever hear of " Dikes on Bikes "?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm

I have taken a moto out of Chapala rarely, the only exception was to Chapala Haciendas, to Vista del Lago and to Tuxcueca, too dangerous to leave the lakeside area on a moto.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Why is it too dangerous to take a moto away from the lake? I too am looking for a motorcycle or a scooter. I am new to the lakeside, but have ridden for over fifty years in the states. I would like to be able to ride within at least a fifty mile radius of Ajijic.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Charliej:

If you were to read the online editions of various Guadalajara newspapers on a daily basis, you might think twice about riding a moto anywhere near Guadalajara? Probably the most common accident reports that I see are motos being hit by cars or trucks and pedestrians being run over by a city bus.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:29 pm

The 2 wheelers driving in Guadalajara are like Evil Knivel wanna B's, routinely driving like a bat outa hell on the yellow lines, weaving between cars/trucks, at fairly high speeds. Surprised more aren't injured.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Not intending to go the Guadalajara. I want to ride along the lakeshore to the east and west. I have been to San Pedro Itzican, Poncitlan and Ocotlan by car and these all seem to be a good bike trip. I have not attempted Guadalajara by car yet. Also want to ride to Jocotepec and to the south. But, no major cities.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 pm

You need to be careful if leaving the lake area as cars drive fast, you need to not be driving something slow where cars can pass you, scooters will be passed by most cars thereby creating danger. You can go towards Mezcala or even to Joco without problems but once in areas where the road is open and straight you need to ability to go fast or will be impeding traffic and therefore be in potential danger. If you have a 250cc or 600cc it is a different story.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliej Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks for the info. My last bike was a Honda VFR 750. Ninety Five horsepower and great handling. I would be looking at something that can maintain one hundred kph. Anything slower would be just for in town.
Charliej
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:16 pm

hockables wrote:

Yeah, I was just trying to be funny (keyword: trying).

Lots of gay guys ride Hogs (figuratively and literally).
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Axixic wrote:
hockables wrote:

Saw a couple Dikes on Bikes yesterday.......showed up @ golf course....You guessed it ..."Dikes on Spikes" LOL cheers
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Jim W wrote:
Axixic wrote:
hockables wrote:

Saw a couple Dikes on Bikes yesterday.......showed up @ golf course....You guessed it ..."Dikes on Spikes" LOL cheers

OK, y'all. If you are going to bandy the term about... at least spell it correctly, eh?
It's "DYKE". A DIKE holds back the waters. Remember the brave boy what stuck his finger in the dike and saved the Netherlands. Thinking about buying a Scooter - Page 2 169387 Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor "poncho" Armstrong Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 pm

i just got my wife a used scooter and its fine on the cobbles and she says its very easy for her to ride. I have had to fix a couple things on it and i repainted it for her (to match her helmet LOL) We live up in chapala haciendas and there is a back road that goes to chapala that we take. I have a pedal bike with an engine in it that i use and its great for getting around town also but i did have an accident so i am rebuilding it again. If you need help with repairs just drop me a line, i can fix most things or at least tell you whats wrong. A scooter is the way to go.
Trevor
Trevor "poncho" Armstrong
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : sarcastic s.o.b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2