INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ajijic Meat Center

+5
CanuckBob
E-raq
albertrv
johninajijic
ferret
9 posters

Go down

The Ajijic Meat Center Empty The Ajijic Meat Center

Post by ferret Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm

I may regret telling everyone this...but here goes.
We like lamb...more specifically we like lamb tenderloin because there is very little fat on them. The Ajijic Meat Center fulfilled our request and brought it in for us. Not having had them in over 17 years, it was our pleasure and delight to find them tender and delicious. If you are a lamb lover, this is the store for you.
This meat store supplies 22 restaurants lakeside with various seafood and meat products. They have an open glass walled prep area where they do their own vac packing...clean, spotless, stainless steel.
Bernardo is an owner and can be reached at ajijicmeatcenter(at)hotmail.com or 766-4554
Located in the Plaza behind the Pemex on the Libramiento...close to Lake Taco.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

The Ajijic Meat Center Empty Re: The Ajijic Meat Center

Post by ferret Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Lamb tenderloin is called filete de cordero in Spanish. Bernardo is bilingual.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 am

ferret - You did the right thing. It's good to spread the word for businesses who do a good job.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 am

We have been working with the Ajijic Meat Center group for several months now and they are a great bunch. Their vision for the store is making it a great asset for the area. Recently we had the honor to give away a 500 p gift certificate on their behalf with another to come. They will also be helping out with some great food for our charity BOTAB event in November. A company worthy of support from the community.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.lagunachapala.com

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Fabulous, can someone ask him if he is being supplied by a Canadian woman who owns a beef and Lamb ranch near Ixtlahuacan? Great lamb tenderloin plus ground lamb for moussaka, a big favorite in our house.
We used to order from her by phone and fill up the freezer with half a lamb at a time. Lost the phone number.

She was expensive, but wow, was it ever worth it. Hopefully she is the supplier, we can't order those huge amounts anymore.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:48 pm

She's not the supplier. It comes from Guadalajara but I don't know where the Guadalajara supplier gets it.
She is at the Tuesday Market...not every week but often enough. Her e-mail address is maggiegaudet(at)hotmail.com and I'm sure she'd let you know when she'll be there.

For my personal taste, her lamb is too fatty and I resent paying for it when I'm going to cut it off and throw it away. Everybody's different.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I have also found lamb to be extremely expensive at the Lake. Might be time to consider raising a few of our own. I have raised them in the past and it is very easy. Just have to protect them from predators. All we need is to find out where we can source some baby lambs and someone with a big grassy field that offers some protection........hmmm, hmmm.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I have also found lamb to be extremely expensive at the Lake. Might be time to consider raising a few of our own. I have raised them in the past and it is very easy. Just have to protect them from predators. All we need is to find out where we can source some baby lambs and someone with a big grassy field that offers some protection........hmmm, hmmm.

Don't forget the mint jelly!!!! LOL

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 pm

ferret wrote:She's not the supplier. It comes from Guadalajara but I don't know where the Guadalajara supplier gets it.
She is at the Tuesday Market...not every week but often enough. Her e-mail address is maggiegaudet(at)hotmail.com and I'm sure she'd let you know when she'll be there.

For my personal taste, her lamb is too fatty and I resent paying for it when I'm going to cut it off and throw it away. Everybody's different.

Thanks Ferret,
I also found the legs had waaay too much bone left on them to fit well into the oven. The name is the right one.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:I have also found lamb to be extremely expensive at the Lake. Might be time to consider raising a few of our own. I have raised them in the past and it is very easy. Just have to protect them from predators. All we need is to find out where we can source some baby lambs and someone with a big grassy field that offers some protection........hmmm, hmmm.

Don't forget the mint jelly!!!! LOL

Z

Super Lake sells it.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Excuse me, superlake sells lamb from where??

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 pm

E-raq wrote:Fabulous, can someone ask him if he is being supplied by a Canadian woman who owns a beef and Lamb ranch near Ixtlahuacan?

Unless there are TWO Canadian women raising lamb, the one I know is Maggie and she's way out the La Barca Highway, no where near Ixtlahuacan.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:42 pm

David wrote:
E-raq wrote:Fabulous, can someone ask him if he is being supplied by a Canadian woman who owns a beef and Lamb ranch near Ixtlahuacan?

Unless there are TWO Canadian women raising lamb, the one I know is Maggie and she's way out the La Barca Highway, no where near Ixtlahuacan.

No problem David, I am abysmal at driving directions, and she did give me directions once. Her name is Maggie, and she's from Alberta. I don't have her phone number. BTW, I'd rather do just about anything rather than drive that La Barca road!!! Last time we had about 5 near death experiences.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:48 pm

How long ago was that? It's all been redone and widened.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:53 pm

David wrote:How long ago was that? It's all been redone and widened.

Hmmm, I think it was a couple of years ago, maybe a bit less. Friends of ours are owners of the El Tesoro de Mi Tierra distillery in Los Altos, in fact are having a big do there on wednesday. Their buddy Ricky did the driving and scared me out of 10 years growth. I assumed the fetal position between the front and back seats.

If the invite is an open one, I'll see if I can post it.

Cheers,
totally awesome tequila. Beer
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:11 pm

E-raq:

We drove the section to Ocotlan in both directions back in August. There are a few minor sections they are still working on but the drive out and back from the cuota had no real issues and quite any easy drive. Have no idea what the section from Ocotlan to La Barca is like.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:15 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:E-raq:

We drove the section to Ocotlan in both directions back in August. There are a few minor sections they are still working on but the drive out and back from the cuota had no real issues and quite any easy drive. Have no idea what the section from Ocotlan to La Barca is like.

Thanks Neil. I'm awaiting total completion before venturing out that way again. Our friends have offered number one son a private tour there in November. Their grand opening dinner and tasting of every possible good thing is on Wednesday. DRAT!!! Can't go due to the drive, still recuperating. No long trips yet.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 pm

little italy wrote:Excuse me, superlake sells lamb from where??

I think John meant that Superlake sells the mint jelly. They also sell Crosse and Blackwell's Mint Sauce which, IMHO, is better and, if you're a Brit, are probably more familiar with.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Ferret:

Mint Sauce and Mint Jelly have two different applications IMO. My personal preference is Mint Jelly on lamb that has been grilled (ie. lamb chops) since the surface tends to seal from the flames. Mint Sauce works great on lamb that has been roasted (ie. leg of lamb) where the grain of the meat is open and receptive to the penetration of Mint Sauce. Both are staples in our refrigerator.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Each to his/her own. I find commercially prepared mint jelly to be very sweet and never could get my head into the vibrant artificially green colour. Artificial food colours are just plain bad for you. Please tell me that you're using something more natural on your lamb.
http://glassvisage.hubpages.com/hub/The-dangers-of-food-colorings
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Since I am the only one in our household who likes lamb or chicken livers, I am pretty much restricted to times when she is out of town. For the few times a year when I eat grilled lamb chops, I doubt highly that the mint jelly will kill me. Mint sauce would probably pass your "natural test" and I actually prefer that on any other lamb, except lamb curry. Hell, who knows what might me in the lamb than could possibly kill me?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:12 pm

LOL! Well, I wouldn't put mint sauce on a lamb curry either...just a nice chutney on the side.
The mint jelly won't kill you either. Up for an experiment? You're a good candidate since you're not eating the mint jelly regularly. After eating (and enjoying) it, make a note of your mental state for 24 hours. Hyper? Scatter brained? Can't concentrate? Irritable? I don't think any of those is your normal state of being so it will be interesting to see if you (or Cathy) notice
a change in behaviour. If you're a red m&m's fan, this experiment is null and void.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down