INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lobster

+11
mattoleriver
zenwoodle
ferret
ComputerGuy
E-raq
Walter
barbicheesecake
Zedinmexico
sparks
johninajijic
SunsetKid
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lobster Empty Lobster

Post by SunsetKid Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Any really good places to have lobster
SunsetKid
SunsetKid
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 184
Join date : 2011-07-21
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Bill Maher/Chevy Chase/Life in general

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm

SunsetKid wrote:Any really good places to have lobster

Difficult question since so few places serve it and it is RIDICULOUSLY high priced here if you can find it. I suggest you go to Pacifico Pescaderia and cook it yourself. Don't confuse Lobster with Langostinos.

There is no real Lobster here, since I only consider Maine or NE Lobster real lobster, from cold water.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3850
Join date : 2010-10-23
Age : 80
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by sparks Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm

The Mexican lobster season is closed most of the summer so finding anything fresh is not possible ... unless flown down from up north. Red lobster or rock lobster does not compare with those from Maine. Better off with Langostinos or Chacales (river shrimp)

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/2012/07/red-lobster-season-mexico.html

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/2012/07/steak-and-lobster.html
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1598
Join date : 2010-04-21
Location : Melaque, Jalisco Mexico
Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm

sparks wrote:The Mexican lobster season is closed most of the summer so finding anything fresh is not possible ... unless flown down from up north. Red lobster or rock lobster does not compare with those from Maine. Better off with Langostinos or Chacales (river shrimp)

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/2012/07/red-lobster-season-mexico.html

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/2012/07/steak-and-lobster.html


Agreed. Maine lobsters also go up and cover Nova Scocia and other
areas in Canada. No difference.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5604
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty RE: Lobster

Post by barbicheesecake Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:50 pm

The lobster is very good at Adelita´s Restaurant.
barbicheesecake
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 464
Join date : 2012-07-16
Age : 70
Location : Chapala
Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by johninajijic Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:
sparks wrote:The Mexican lobster season is closed most of the summer so finding anything fresh is not possible ... unless flown down from up north. Red lobster or rock lobster does not compare with those from Maine. Better off with Langostinos or Chacales (river shrimp)

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/2012/07/red-lobster-season-mexico.html

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/2012/07/steak-and-lobster.html


Agreed. Maine lobsters also go up and cover Nova Scocia and other
areas in Canada. No difference.

Z

Sorry forgot to mention Nova Scotia, probably more from there than from Maine. Both Nova Scotia and Maine are great places to visit, very picturesque for photographers.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3850
Join date : 2010-10-23
Age : 80
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by Walter Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 am

I'm in New Brunswick right now. Lobster off the boat is running about $5 a pound. Heck of a deal, and the best lobster in the world! razberry
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 229
Join date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by E-raq Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 am

Walter, you lucky son of a gun. Love the stuff.

Minor and very slight disagreement, I prefer Maine Lobster. In fact will eat it for lunch and dinner every day if in Maine, however sure wouldn't turn down a Canadian lobster either. It's pretty close.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09 am

Here is an interesting blurb on the subject:
"I called the manager at The New England Provisions Company where I have bought lobsters and they only sell Nova Scotia lobsters. I asked him the difference. He said that the difference is in the propensity of the Nova Scotia lobster to shed less often in the summer. The percentage of hard shell lobster is much higher and soft shedders are easy to detect and cull out of the inventory.
What does this mean? The hard shell lobster have more meat. This is what Chef Gordon is in a huff about, They cook up 100% yield with out loosing any to mushiness or inferior soft meat. They also ship better with a survival rate of 100%. No deads, no soft shells, no mush.
Overall he said that even though the Nova Scotian lobsters cost more; his company saves on the 0% loss rate from not having to give credits, no one complains of the quality. They arrive alive and cook up perfect. He said, the lobsters from further south shed more often and are often (summer lobster) firm shells to medium shells which have less meat and can cook up mushy some times. They also do not ship well by air cargo or Fed Ex.
Some people really like the summer lobster but the trade off is in yield even if the are cheaper; they actually can cost more due to yield. As far as taste, hard shell lobsters from both areas taste the same unless they are caught near rivers because of salinity. The firm to soft shelled lobsters do taste different in comparison to hard shell but all soft or firm shell lobsters taste the same. You can find more info at http://www.newenglandprovisions.com/.
His belief about the fit that the Chef threw was more theatrics but with some truth about hard shell lobsters being better quality but not better taste. Summer lobster does taste different is softer. Many say they are sweeter but the trade off is there is much less meat per lobster and they are often mushy with skinny tails and claws. He did say that lobsters that are kept in a tank for long periods take on a different taste especially if the tank is not a real large , modern, lobster tank with biological filters and regular changes of fresh ocean water."
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3532
Join date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am

Very interesting post. As far as Lobsters shedding, don't they shed during the months ending in "R"?

Is the water temp much colder in NS and NB compared to Maine or Mass to make the lobsters better?

I don't know why they call the spiny lobster caught off Florida, lobster? In that warm water how could it taste good?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3850
Join date : 2010-10-23
Age : 80
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:26 am

It seems that they are pretty close: 4 to 15 or 20 winter/summer.

Always look for the Canadian flag on their tails...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3532
Join date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by ferret Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:57 am

John, sometime you have to try Cuban lobster. Divine!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 10232
Join date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:48 am

ferret wrote:John, sometime you have to try Cuban lobster. Divine!

Actually, I don't like lobster, strange for someone from New England (Mass), but my Dad absolutely loved it. He worked in the oil burner and heating field. One of his customers was James Hook & Son Lobster Co on Atlantic Avenue (waterfront) in Boston. He used to bring home free lobsters from the owner. The company is not there anymore as it had a huge fire.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3850
Join date : 2010-10-23
Age : 80
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 am

HelperGuy wrote:Here is an interesting blurb on the subject:
"I called the manager at The New England Provisions Company where I have bought lobsters and they only sell Nova Scotia lobsters. I asked him the difference. He said that the difference is in the propensity of the Nova Scotia lobster to shed less often in the summer. The percentage of hard shell lobster is much higher and soft shedders are easy to detect and cull out of the inventory.
What does this mean? The hard shell lobster have more meat. This is what Chef Gordon is in a huff about, They cook up 100% yield with out loosing any to mushiness or inferior soft meat. They also ship better with a survival rate of 100%. No deads, no soft shells, no mush.
Overall he said that even though the Nova Scotian lobsters cost more; his company saves on the 0% loss rate from not having to give credits, no one complains of the quality. They arrive alive and cook up perfect. He said, the lobsters from further south shed more often and are often (summer lobster) firm shells to medium shells which have less meat and can cook up mushy some times. They also do not ship well by air cargo or Fed Ex.
Some people really like the summer lobster but the trade off is in yield even if the are cheaper; they actually can cost more due to yield. As far as taste, hard shell lobsters from both areas taste the same unless they are caught near rivers because of salinity. The firm to soft shelled lobsters do taste different in comparison to hard shell but all soft or firm shell lobsters taste the same. You can find more info at http://www.newenglandprovisions.com/.
His belief about the fit that the Chef threw was more theatrics but with some truth about hard shell lobsters being better quality but not better taste. Summer lobster does taste different is softer. Many say they are sweeter but the trade off is there is much less meat per lobster and they are often mushy with skinny tails and claws. He did say that lobsters that are kept in a tank for long periods take on a different taste especially if the tank is not a real large , modern, lobster tank with biological filters and regular changes of fresh ocean water."

Yes you are correct the lobsters from off Bar Harbor ( where the ferry goes to Nova Scocia) are better
than the lobsters from farther south so I believe that farther north is better for lobsters. Part of it to be
frank also could be the Canadians are doing a better job for the consumer. I am the first of my family to
not live in the Bar Harbor area but I did help my uncle as a youth pulling lobster pots and he taught me
a lot and he said farther north is better. Pollution could be a problem farther south to be honest which doesn't
help product. I have eaten so much lobster I don't like it other than a good lobster roll. Believe it or not in
the early days when Maine was part of Mass. they had a law that you could only feed endentured servants
lobster three time a week LOL or something like that.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5604
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:03 am

Wow, those were the days. Being forced to serve less lobster. I could really go for a good lobster roll. On the Food Network they are constantly showing food trucks and stands selling incredibly cheap, totally loaded lobster rolls.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3532
Join date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by johninajijic Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am

Zed - Your story about Bar Harbor brings me back more years than I want to admit. We've been there about 3 or 4 times because we've been all over Nova Scotia 3 times. I love that little island and anyone who hasn't seen it is missing something. My Dad had a boat built in Digby NS, so we went to check on its progress.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3850
Join date : 2010-10-23
Age : 80
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by zenwoodle Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:31 pm

johninajijic wrote:Zed - Your story about Bar Harbor brings me back more years than I want to admit. We've been there about 3 or 4 times because we've been all over Nova Scotia 3 times. I love that little island and anyone who hasn't seen it is missing something. My Dad had a boat built in Digby NS, so we went to check on its progress.

FYI John. Nova Scotia is not an island. Cape Breton is an island. Digby is on the mainland of Nova Scotia.
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1491
Join date : 2012-07-17
Age : 75
Location : Ajijic, formerly from Ontario
Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:14 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Wow, those were the days. Being forced to serve less lobster. I could really go for a good lobster roll. On the Food Network they are constantly showing food trucks and stands selling incredibly cheap, totally loaded lobster rolls.

Trust me you can get sick of eating a fresh steamed lobster. I am also sick of smoked Salmon after eating it for 25 years at
HP from all the PNW fisherman. I even got sick of Dunganese (sp) crab. Only thing I like now is crab or lobster roll or cakes.
Never got sick of Halibut. I know something must be wrong with me.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5604
Join date : 2011-10-28
Location : On the hill in Ajijic
Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Heck no, I agree. Lobster is far too rich, as is smoked salmon, to eat regularly without developing an aversion. I recently started smoking my own salmon, and have a killer recipe. But after making it every couple of weeks for a few months, I'm beginning to pull back. I imagine it will be more like every couple of months or something, because the "treat value" has gone out of it.

On the other hand, I haven't had lobster or good crab since I came here from Canada nine years ago, and I sure could use some. I will have to try Adelita's.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3532
Join date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by E-raq Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:11 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Heck no, I agree. Lobster is far too rich, as is smoked salmon, to eat regularly without developing an aversion. I recently started smoking my own salmon, and have a killer recipe. But after making it every couple of weeks for a few months, I'm beginning to pull back. I imagine it will be more like every couple of months or something, because the "treat value" has gone out of it.

On the other hand, I haven't had lobster or good crab since I came here from Canada nine years ago, and I sure could use some. I will have to try Adelita's.

So what happened there dude? Were you rolling your own with cheap paper? Geez, that makes 'em real hard to light up.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1998
Join date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by SunsetKid Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Wow!

If you don't like lobster you have a problem! They do have good lobster here.
SunsetKid
SunsetKid
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 184
Join date : 2011-07-21
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Bill Maher/Chevy Chase/Life in general

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by SunsetKid Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Wow!

If you don't like lobster you have a problem! They do have good lobster here.
SunsetKid
SunsetKid
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 184
Join date : 2011-07-21
Location : Ajijic
Humor : Bill Maher/Chevy Chase/Life in general

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by johninajijic Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:04 pm

SunsetKid wrote:Wow!

If you don't like lobster you have a problem! They do have good lobster here.

Where? Are you kidding? Good lobster here, you must be joking.

Doesn't look like you've been following this topic.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3850
Join date : 2010-10-23
Age : 80
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 pm

E-raq wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:Heck no, I agree. Lobster is far too rich, as is smoked salmon, to eat regularly without developing an aversion. I recently started smoking my own salmon, and have a killer recipe. But after making it every couple of weeks for a few months, I'm beginning to pull back. I imagine it will be more like every couple of months or something, because the "treat value" has gone out of it.

On the other hand, I haven't had lobster or good crab since I came here from Canada nine years ago, and I sure could use some. I will have to try Adelita's.

So what happened there dude? Were you rolling your own with cheap paper? Geez, that makes 'em real hard to light up.
I can't believe you're the only one who caught me on that!
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3532
Join date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by mattoleriver Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 am

zenwoodle wrote:
FYI John. Nova Scotia is not an island. Cape Breton is an island. Digby is on the mainland of Nova Scotia.
Just a slip of the lip, he probably meant Rhode Island. drunk

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 769
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Lobster Empty Re: Lobster

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum