INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Party Season Etiquette

+17
Ms.Thang
binky
Tony_In_Mexico
CheenaGringo
viajero
Axixic
Chapalagringa
joec
gringal
solajijic
E-raq
Rosa Venus
Marrell
ferret
Carry Bean
Milena
Parker
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Party Season Etiquette   - Page 4 Empty Re: Party Season Etiquette

Post by binky Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 pm

DonPito wrote:Miss Manners would have told me to make a reasonable excuse and leave the party at the first whiff of pot smoke. Miss Manners evil twin would have advised me to also score some points with the new police chief with a heads up for drug use.

Dude.....not even the EMT's batted an eye or asked any q's.

binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm

ferret wrote:I'm right there with you Parker, on both counts...and you can add no more invitations to those who cause problems. Life is getting way too short to put up with such inconsiderations and my tolerance for such behaviour is at an all time low.

I'm with both of you on this. Any freeloaders or damned nuisances at parties NEVER get invited again. Once you're struck off the list here, you never get back on.

Hint: to weed 'em out. If you always throw a big Christmas bash, stop for a couple of years and watch what happens. No invites and they're gonzo.

Ditto for people who don't show up without notification.

I was talking to a long time friend today, and she said I don't believe you'd really do it, you'll give in as usual. I said, no way José, they're gone forever.

Last edited by E-raq on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : We need larger print here for the oldies. Spelling.)
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 pm

O.K. this may be new to some of you but we attended a party several weeks ago and a board game was played. Everyone donated so many pesos and whoever won got the pesos. The host won and seemed very happy, well where I was raised I would have been horrified if I won because as host you are there to make your guest feel great and it’s not about you, it’s about your guest. Your turn will come when you go to their house. Some input, please. scratch

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Parker wrote:O.K. this may be new to some of you but we attended a party several weeks ago and a board game was played. Everyone donated so many pesos and whoever won got the pesos. The host won and seemed very happy, well where I was raised I would have been horrified if I won because as host you are there to make your guest feel great and it’s not about you, it’s about your guest. Your turn will come when you go to their house. Some input, please. scratch

Whaaaaaat, the party was so boring you had to play scrabble? WTF is the matter with these people. Parties are for drinking (lotsa drinking) and eating and the chisme de hoy.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 pm

E-raq wrote:
Parker wrote:O.K. this may be new to some of you but we attended a party several weeks ago and a board game was played. Everyone donated so many pesos and whoever won got the pesos. The host won and seemed very happy, well where I was raised I would have been horrified if I won because as host you are there to make your guest feel great and it’s not about you, it’s about your guest. Your turn will come when you go to their house. Some input, please. scratch

Whaaaaaat, the party was so boring you had to play scrabble? WTF is the matter with these people. Parties are for drinking (lotsa drinking) and eating and the chisme de hoy.

I my opinion you’re absolutely right but what I needed to know is this appropriate behavior? By the way they have asked us to join their monthly get-together, we declined. hahaha!!!

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Well...if it was advertised as a game party, guests knew the score. But if it was 'just' a party, pulling out the Parcheesi game would have set us running to the car. I'm in E-Raq's camp with eating and drinking....and after x glasses of vino, I'm really at a severe disadvantage for a game of Scrabble!

If it WAS advertised as a 'board game' night AND the host won, the money should have been designated for a charity and the winnings handed over to a guest to make sure the donation was in fact, done.

But really, how embarrassing it is that anyone's having 'board game' parties?? Is this Mexico or is this Boca?
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I love pot lucks. I always make a turkey, two kinds of home made bread a big fruit salad and a dessert.
Whatever people bring just adds to the fun. You get a chance to try everyone's special dish and you don't go crazy trying to make something to please everyone. Fortunately my friends can cook too Very Happy Being a musician..my parties usually end in a jam session...but different strokes. I can't remember having anyone get obnoxious. Knock on wood.... Beer
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:22 am

binky wrote:Well...if it was advertised as a game party, guests knew the score. But if it was 'just' a party, pulling out the Parcheesi game would have set us running to the car. I'm in E-Raq's camp with eating and drinking....and after x glasses of vino, I'm really at a severe disadvantage for a game of Scrabble!

If it WAS advertised as a 'board game' night AND the host won, the money should have been designated for a charity and the winnings handed over to a guest to make sure the donation was in fact, done.

But really, how embarrassing it is that anyone's having 'board game' parties?? Is this Mexico or is this Boca?

Yes, we knew that a board game was going to be the center of the entertainment but if I’d been hosting the get together I certainly would have made sure not to win.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 am

kipissippi wrote:I love pot lucks. I always make a turkey, two kinds of home made bread a big fruit salad and a dessert.
Whatever people bring just adds to the fun. You get a chance to try everyone's special dish and you don't go crazy trying to make something to please everyone. Fortunately my friends can cook too Very Happy Being a musician..my parties usually end in a jam session...but different strokes. I can't remember having anyone get obnoxious. Knock on wood.... Beer

I enjoy pot lucks too especially when it’s “Finger Food”. Little bits of this and that and the avoidance of casseroles, which is obvious not my favorite food, I’ll leave that for others.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 am

I really don't like pot lucks, for the following reasons.

1. Some people might not be very good cooks.
2. Everyone arriving with dishes of this and that, asking for refrigerator and oven space. Have you got a better platter, I'm going to need a sharp knife etc. This almost takes more time than doing it yourself.
3. My idea of a party at someone else's house is not having to do anything. Most of our friends do not allow anyone in their kitchen either before or after the party.
4. Nobody, other than a few special friends are allowed in our kitchen. They know the kitchen well and bring everything all ready to put on the table. Maybe three people are allowed to do this. The only reason for this is that they make super incredible stuff and won't share their recipes. That's because they want to do it, not because they have to.
5. Nobody cleans up the mess at our house until after everyone had left.
6. Too confusing with dishes, plastic bins of this and that.
7. In order to enforce this rule, my husband had french doors put on the kitchen entrance, the one into the living area. He likes them CLOSED when he's cooking after people arrive.
Furthermore, nobody like to see a messy kitchen when they're eating.

Having said that many people just love them. To each his own.

Board games, hmmm, we've done it, not as a party but when vacationing at cottages. Now scrabble, is another matter. Two couples only. However nobody wants to play with us, so that's out.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by binky Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:29 am

And some people bring the same crap to every event, and often it's an uninteresting, cheap dish.
binky
binky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 am

binky wrote:And some people bring the same crap to every event, and often it's an uninteresting, cheap dish.

Bingo, three bean salad, or the ubiquitous green bean casserole for Thanksgiving.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:37 am

gringal wrote:Oh, WOW. That's tricky.
IMO, and others may vary: The fool hasn't toked since college and doesn't know his limits? The host's problem; if they feel like ending the party and spending the rest of the evening with the man at the local ER. Sounds like he was stabilized and in no danger. Wife was with him, and the hosts had probably spent considerable time and expense getting ready for the event.

I'd say.....same deal for a drunk.

As for etiquette here: I think people should imbibe in whatever, while keeping their brains in gear. A party is no time to show your dumbest side or your overindulgent side. You are going to be running into your fellow guests after you and they are sober.
'

If he were on certain blood pressure medicine adding the pot which also lowers your blood pressure
can make you pass out. You are not alone. I had to call 911 for the same reason in the states at a
party.
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 am

Scrabble is best played with a computer. That way, no dumb arguments about words being okay or not. It's a good way to keep your brain from turning to mush.
Party scrabble or games? Naah. The word "Party" does not conjure up images of concentration on a board game. "To party" expresses it better.

Potlucks? Depends. You never know what conditions a dish was prepared under, but an afternoon gathering works okay for most things. It's a mess with a lot of people: I'd rather be in charge of what's offered to the guests.
Best of all, have it catered and be done with it.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am

How bout some house guest etiquette guidelines? If your vehicle leaks oil please don't park in the driveway and leave your over zealous 100 lb dog at the kennel. Oh and if you are a picky eater don't expect us to go overboard buying what you want. We have a garden and sometimes use pesticides. Shop and bring your own specialties. Don't preach to us about different lifestyles! Flush the toilet!!!!
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 am

gringal wrote:Scrabble is best played with a computer. That way, no dumb arguments about words being okay or not. It's a good way to keep your brain from turning to mush.
Party scrabble or games? Naah. The word "Party" does not conjure up images of concentration on a board game. "To party" expresses it better.

Potlucks? Depends. You never know what conditions a dish was prepared under, but an afternoon gathering works okay for most things. It's a mess with a lot of people: I'd rather be in charge of what's offered to the guests.
Best of all, have it catered and be done with it.

My attitude exactly.
Scrabble really is best played on a computer, however since I usually win, I'd miss the look of dissapointment on my opponents face. Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 pm

binky wrote:And some people bring the same crap to every event, and often it's an uninteresting, cheap dish.

When we do pot luck it’s pretty much like Kississippi however it’s preferably “Finger Food”, anything you can pick up with your fingers or a toothpick. For approximately 16 guests we normally provide a large platter of peeled shrimp & cocktail sauce; 2 kilos, meatballs in some kind of sauce; about 75 bite size (Just tried “Big Daddy’s Italian meatballs and will try subtitling his to save time and very good flavor.) plus a vegetable, cheese, and fruit platter and whatever anyone else brings is just icing on the cake.

In my book finger food means you take your contribution strait to the table and you grab your dish as you leave. Use of small 5” plates, so people will circulate and need to return more than once to the food source. Perhaps in this local we should call it a “Tapas” (sp?) party.

We provide drinks (alcohol and non), wine, juice and beer plus we set up a desert table and normally provide some kind of cake someone else baked.

It’s easy; everyone feels they contributed so you don’t have people bringing a bottle of wine that you didn’t want anyway. We’ve always found them fun. To each their own.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

I started doing potlucks after watching my older sister's meltdowns every year. She was THE hostess. House was perfect, she started baking a month ahead. She always had to do it all...she really was a fantastic cook and everyone always had a great time. Except her. She'd be completely worn out. I'm just a more casual kinda gal. She was always letter perfect from head to toe..Me? Not so much. If I'm covered in sweat and dirt from training a horse or ripping out or putting in a new flower bed...don't expect me to fly to the house to make myself presentable because you show up unannounced...of course I'm not talking about "a party day".

Everyone has always seemed to enjoy my parties, just kick back and have a good time. When I do something more elaborate...I limit it to six. That's handable without freaking out Beer And I usually don't want help in the kitchen...but anyone who wants to gab while I'm at it...works for me. Like I said.. different strokes.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Just had another experience I feel should be commented on. Invited to an open house, so knowing very well this is no way formal (remember never show up empty-handed). However after arriving it turns out that the host had hired a band and then had someone circulate to collect for the cost (TIPS). I do believe it put more than a few in an awkward position. First of all, I go to this type of get-togethers to learn about different individuals, not about blaring music, that’s just not my desire. Had I known up-front, I doubt that I would have attended

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4