INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs

+18
Zedinmexico
viajero
bennie#2
seisdedos
jrm30655
georgeorwell2013
Rosa Venus
Uncle Jack
gringal
espíritu del lago
CanuckBob
Texmexco
hound dog
joec
CheenaGringo
E-raq
Trailrunner
ferret
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs Empty Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs

Post by ferret Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 am

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1288748--no-more-twinkies-hostess-going-out-of-business

Get your twinkies now and stash 'em...you should be able to sell them on E-Bay in 20 years as antiques.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs Empty Re: Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs

Post by Trailrunner Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 am

And they'll still be good!!!
Well, as in edible. Good. . .I dunno, they never were good for my taste. lol

The US collective BMI just dropped 5 points.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am

Great, well maybe not for the Dawg, however those calorie laden treats loaded with nasty preservatives and Lawd knows what else were a true menace to humanity.

One crime against humanity solved.

The apocalypse has arrived, and only a tad early.

BTW Apocalypse means the revealing of lies and deceit according to many scholars.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

Sounds like they may not be gone for long:
"In addition to dozens of baking and distribution facilities around the country, Hostess Brands will sell its popular brands, including Hostess®, Drakes® and Dolly Madison®, which make iconic cake products such as Twinkies®, CupCakes, Ding Dongs®, Ho Ho’s®, Sno Balls® and Donettes®. Bread brands to be sold include Wonder®, Nature’s Pride ®, Merita®, Home Pride®, Butternut®, and Beefsteak®, among others.
http://www.hostessbrands.com/Closing.aspx

Maybe another opportunity for Bimbo Bakeries USA?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am

ferret wrote:http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1288748--no-more-twinkies-hostess-going-out-of-business

Get your twinkies now and stash 'em...you should be able to sell them on E-Bay in 20 years as antiques.

More junk food the US doesn't need.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:05 am

ferret wrote:http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1288748--no-more-twinkies-hostess-going-out-of-business

Yep, and they'll definitely still be edible. Ever seen that repugnant youtube video about McDonalds hamburgers?

Sorry Dawg to burst any cherished bubbles.

Probably ditto for Booger King.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am

Twinkies are BARELY a food - Bon Appetit:

The Twinkie: Ingredients Revealed
By: Kate Thorp (View Profile)
Five ingredients come from rocks.

This got my attention. However, it only got worse when I discovered that the ingredients come from phosphate mines in Idaho, gypsum mines in Oklahoma, and oil fields in China. Okay, so now I was wondering if I was watching a real news story—come to find out, I was.

The Twinkie, which was created during the Depression, contains thirty-nine ingredients. One of those ingredients is a preservative, sorbic acid. Sorbic acid is an ingredient I see on many packages, and I have never thought twice about it. But author Steve Ettlinger did. He found that sorbic acid is actually derived from natural gas.

If that isn’t shocking enough, he goes on to talk about other ingredients like cellulose gum, Polysorbate 60, and calcium sulfate. Apparently, these ingredients are also used in sheet rock, shampoo, and rocket fuel. No wonder Twinkies make kids run around like crazy and have even been used as a defense for murder!

Mr Ettlinger also found that the vitamins, artificial colors, and flavorings in Twinkies come from petroleum.

I started to wonder how this tasty treat made from gas and rocks can be so light and airy. In comes Mr. Ettlinger again. Apparently, it’s limestone that makes Twinkies light. And that tasty cream center—it’s got to be milk, right? No. It’s made of shortening; there is absolutely no cream in the cream.

I have to say I was curious to know what Hostess, the makers of the Twinkie, thought about Mr. Ettlinger’s claims. Well, here’s the quote that ran in my newscast:

Deconstructing the Twinkie is like trying to deconstruct the universe. We think the millions of people … would agree that Twinkies just taste great.—David Leavitt, Vice President Snack Marketing at Hostess.

The news story was inspired by Steve Ettlinger’s new book, Twinkie Deconstructed. Ettlinger uses the Twinkie to demonstrate where our processed food ingredients come from. Since the Twinkie is the product leader—yes, it’s a product and apparently, barely a food—it served as the perfect tool to show consumers what goes into our food.

Another newsworthy note—since so many of the ingredients come from overseas, there are hardly any regulations placed on them. We are all familiar with the recent paint issues from China. As for the Twinkie, many of the vitamins listed on its label come from China and are not regulated. There were a few other ingredients Ettlinger sourced, but he was unable to communicate with the agricultural or chemical manufacturer of those ingredients. They simply do not need to make themselves available.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am

Oooop's Trailrunner Dawg is going to be most upset about this shocking revelation.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 am

I'm waiting for the Dawg to post on this but, hey, just think! Maybe those ingredients are what has "fueled" the Dawg all these years. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 am

Take one Twinkie, one bottle of Havana Club Seven Year Old Fine Reserve Dark Rum. Cover the Twinky in the rum to taste. Make yourself a fine rum custard. Deep fry the twinkies. Dip the Twinkies in the custrard. Get loaded and try to remember that it was not your fault that you popped out of the womb on the Frozen Tundra rather than sublime South Alabama but the fault of your mom and dad who lacked the common sense to leave hell before saddling you with their stupidity.

You´ll feel better for a while.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 am

ferret wrote:I'm waiting for the Dawg to post on this but, hey, just think! Maybe those ingredients are what has "fueled" the Dawg all these years. :)

That's truly frightening ferret, like some twisted Stephen King novel. Here's DAWG!!!!! Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 am

Sweetie Pie, I was BORN in England...my parents CHOSE Canada 'cuz that's where my Dad, as an Electrical Engineer, could find work. End story...but I don't think a twinkie would have made an iota of difference in their decision.
ALABAMA????...wash yo' mouf out wit soap!!! :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Texmexco Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 am

Take heart, ferret, tho they are not as good, Mexico has its own brand of Twinkie called Tuinkie, with a "u" instead of a "w" but pronounced the same. They have also played off the sneaker brands Reebok and Nike by putting out Rebob and Mike. Have seen 'em. LMAO!!!!

Texmexco
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Yep, every second stall at the Mercado Libertad is selling them.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Cg, we have Bimbo in Texas. Fiesta and Tapitios sell it. Gansitos? No problem.So far there is not much I can't find from Mexico that Texas doesn't have.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm

If you look at the link which follows, you will see a number of brands that Bimbo USA owns:
http://www.bimbobakeriesusa.com/our_brands/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:26 pm

ferret wrote:I'm waiting for the Dawg to post on this but, hey, just think! Maybe those ingredients are what has "fueled" the Dawg all these years. :)

Just to add a bit of fuel: I was once involved in the business of expanding a volcanic rock which fluffed up in a furnace like popcorn and served as a soil amendment, a lightweight concrete mix and a number of other things, including a bulking agent for animal food and .....TA DA....CAKE MIX. Probably including Twinkie like treats. It's supposedly harmless to people and critters, but since you could buy a 40 lb. sack (about like the largest trash bags) of the stuff in its fluffy state, you could save a considerable amount on things like.....uh.......flour, by using it.
Personally, I'm not fond of rocks as a food supplement.

It was during that period of my life that I began carrying a pocket magnifying glass and reading labels.
razberry

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Jack Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Bye bye Twinkies and Ding Dongs 184901_10151231867649931_1561554688_n
Uncle Jack
Uncle Jack
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twisted and Bizarre

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Twinkies are all over Ebay and prices are all over the map. Probably the best deal I saw had a minimum price of $2,500,000 and yes, that is USD:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twinkies-/181026896923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a260b3c1b

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:41 pm

If this is just a Hostess bankruptcy thing, you guys are being way premature announcing the death of the Twinkie. (What's the quote: "The Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." - Mark Twain, I think?)

Along with any other viable assests, Hostess would just sell off the "brand" before settling the books. And yeah, Grupo Bimbo makes perfect sense, potentially.

Twinkies never die. They just get un-old in the cupboard. They are forever.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by georgeorwell2013 Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 pm

bye bye 18,000 jobs, forget about the frickin' twinkies!!!! one more notch in the colapse, now what for those familys? and ALL you can think about is losing sweet shit? hello???

georgeorwell2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 pm

George:

GED?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by georgeorwell2013 Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:41 pm

sorry CheenaGringo, GED? don't get it?

georgeorwell2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 am

george.........:

"General Educational Development[1][2][3][4] (GED) tests are a group of five subject tests which, when passed, certify that the taker has American or Canadian high school-level academic skills. The initials GED have also been used on diplomas to mean General Education Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma[5][6][7][8] or Graduate Equivalency Degree."

I believe that there is a limit of one(1) forum membership for the educationally challenged? This spot has long been claimed by a female who cannot seem to be satisfied with a single member name.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:06 am

[quote="ferret"]Sweetie Pie, I was BORN in England...my parents CHOSE Canada 'cuz that's where my Dad, as an Electrical Engineer, could find work. End story...but I don't think a twinkie would have made an iota of difference in their decision.
ALABAMA????...wash yo' mouf out wit soap!!! :)[/quote]

Dawg´´s ancestors moved from Scotland to Alabama and Dawg moved from Alabama to California and then Mexico so we continue to head in the right direction. Watch out Bogota.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next