INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chili Powder

+4
hueco_negro
ferret
Trailrunner
ditzy55
8 posters

Go down

Chili Powder Empty Chili Powder

Post by ditzy55 Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am

Where can I buy chili powder?

ditzy55

Back to top Go down

Chili Powder Empty Re: Chili Powder

Post by Trailrunner Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 am

Expensively at SL, and cheaply by bulk at Super Laura on the plaza in SAT. Your choice.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ditzy55 Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am

Trailrunner wrote:Expensively at SL, and cheaply by bulk at Super Laura on the plaza in SAT. Your choice.

Thanks, Trailrunner!

I have looked in SL in their spice section but I guess they were out of stock. Will try Super Laura.

ditzy55

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Trailrunner...is that Chili Powder that we're used to in Canada and the U.S.?
NOB is a mix of chili and other spices (will have to google the "other spices". The taste is very different and I'm still having ours muled down.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hueco_negro Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Go to El Granero across from Ajijic clinic and buy some "polvo de chile arbol" (sorry I couldn't put in the correct accent marks), that will knock your johnson in the dirt. Other chili powder's are available there too, so talk to the owner, she is very helpful and speaks pretty good english. I also like the chili con sal y limon if you use salt.
hueco_negro
hueco_negro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ditzy55 Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 pm

hueco_negro wrote:Go to El Granero across from Ajijic clinic and buy some "polvo de chile arbol" (sorry I couldn't put in the correct accent marks), that will knock your johnson in the dirt. Other chili powder's are available there too, so talk to the owner, she is very helpful and speaks pretty good english. I also like the chili con sal y limon if you use salt.

Thanks, hueco negro! The "polvo de chile arbol" sounds good.

ditzy55

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Ferret, I think so, it tastes the same to me. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:07 pm

Once in a while Chili Powder could be found at El Torito or Walmart, though I haven't had any success lately. Since I just refuse to pay Pancho's price for it, I've been experimenting with Chile Chipotle Molido and a mix of other ingredients. I really like what it does to a giant vat of Chili con Carne y Frijoles, which I just made a couple of weeks ago during the "cold" spell. Gives it a spicier, and certainly "smokier" flavor, but I like it. I even had the nerve to serve it to a certain famous food blogger known locally who exclaimed, "WAY MORE than just okay!!!"

Isn't Chile de Arbol EXTREMELY picante? Knock your Johnson off, indeed.

Everything is on the internet any more. Just google "Chili Powder Recipe" and let the chemistry experiment begin!

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm

OK, this is where my confusion lies. I've tried some of the local Chili powders and have found them picante but bland.
Didn't google but did rustle around in the pantry and found the last unopened package that I have of Chili Powder bought in Canada. It contains chili pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, oregano, dehydrated garlic and cloves.
I like it and sure which I knew what the proportions were...on the other hand, friends are coming down November 28th so I can restock what my taste buds are used to.
YMMV.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm

ferret wrote:
Didn't google but did rustle around in the pantry and found the last unopened package that I have of Chili Powder bought in Canada. It contains chili pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, oregano, dehydrated garlic and cloves.
YMMV.

If you have mules, let them bring it if it makes you happy. Food is way too personal to slice and dice on the internet. But that's close to the "recipe" I start with, though I don't throw in any cloves.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:03 am

Agree with Rosa, can't guarantee the chili powder I buy has those ingredients so you should have your friends bring you some.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:27 am

You can find lots of good chile in polvo at the local grain/spice stores. I'm partial to the one on the carretera in Ajijic, lake side, between Colon and Juarez but Super Laura and many other places carry it as well. You may have a choice of how picante it is, and you need to make sure to speciify that you want it "sin límon y sal" so you don't get the Tajin mix for fruit (wonderful as that is on fruit, jicama, etc.).

None of this has anything to do with Tex-Mex chile powder, for which you'll need to either pay up, have it muled or make your own.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:48 am

Why, on earth, would anyone buy the dreaded "chili powder"? Make your own:

Dawg´s Chili Powder
To Taste:
Ground Cumin
Ground Chile Arbol
Oregano
Mashed Garlic
Allspice
Perhaps some salt if you wish
One Bottle of Herradura Blanco Tequila
Dawg''s Homemade Sangrita

Drink the bottle of tequila with the sangrita chaser, pass out and wake up later to wonder what you had planned to do with those spices you spilled on the carpet.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 am

Have you got any measurements to go with those spices? I'd like to know how big a mess I have to clean up from the carpet when I wake up...like, will I need to buy a vacuum cleaner?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 am

ferret wrote:Have you got any measurements to go with those spices? I'd like to know how big a mess I have to clean up from the carpet when I wake up...like, will I need to buy a vacuum cleaner?

Lots of this and a little bit of that. The key is the bottle of tequila. Do not skimp on that. Oh, I forgot:

DAWG´S HOMEMADE SANGRITA
Freshly squeezed orange juice (Not too much)
Canned tiomato juice (a whole lot)
Lime juice to taste
Diced Habanero chiles including seeds to taste
Lots of mashed fresh garlic
Oregano (optional)

One swig of tequila to be followed by one swig of sangrita until you find you can communicate with your long dead mama with whom you may once again be keeping comany soon enough
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:38 am

So Dawg, do you use the same "side formula" (Tequila & Sangrita) when making up a batch of curry powder?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:45 am

CheenaGringo wrote:So Dawg, do you use the same "side formula" (Tequila & Sangrita) when making up a batch of curry powder?

Now, now, Neil. That was "chili powder" not "curry powder" which requires the inclusion of ground coriander seed as I am sure you know. You are just picking on the Dawg.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm

The lady at El Granero in Ajijic has a large jar of Chili Powder right now. It's even labeled with the "American" spelling, so it might be close to what people are looking for. I was buying something else and not paying close attention, but the price seemed extremely reasonable compared to other local sources.

That store is great.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down