INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!

4 posters

Go down

Help! Empty Help!

Post by Trailrunner Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm being glutened and I'm 99.9% sure it's coming from my WalMart Propanolol 20 mg. It's very difficult to find out what the contents or what kind of a binder the pharm companies use.

Is there anyone else here with Celiac/gluten sensitivity that can advise on brand names of gluten free meds that they take?

TIA
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Help! Empty Re: Help!

Post by ferret Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 pm

http://xpil.medicines.org.uk/ViewPil.aspx?DocID=18141

6 Further information
Excerpt:
What Propranolol tablets contain
•the active substance (the ingredient that makes the tablets work) is propranolol hydrochloride. Each tablet contains either 10mg, 40mg, 80mg or 160mg of the active substance.
the other ingredients are lactose, magnesium stearate, maize starch, stearic acid, hypromellose (E464).•the coating contains polysorbate, carmoisine (E122), titanium dioxide (E171), iron oxide red (E172), hypromellose (E464).
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am

Wow, Ferret, I just found this. I really felt crappy yesterday, a bit better today but still dizzy - one of my glutening symptoms.

THANK YOU FOR THIS LINK! So interesting and I think will be a good resource for me. How did you find this? I did medicine ingredient searches yesterday and never saw this link.

Today I did an elimination process and I am now quite certain it was not the WalMart Propranolol but the "Gluten Free" Rice Chex that did it to me. I consumed the exact same things this morning (but not the Rice Chex) and I am fine. No reaction. Am now burning up emails with General Mills Corporate Customer Service. hahaha Which will no doubt be a complete waste of time.

Thanks again, Ferret, muy amable. Happy to have this link for the future too.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am

You can always ask at the pharmacy for the excipient. They don't have to tell you, but it should be in the PDR. If not, they can phone the supplier and get the information for you. Quick and easy, because a lot of the drugs here are listed under a different trade name.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Feel better soon Trailrunner! It's a bitch when you react to something that you eat and it happens very frequently. Way too little truth in labelling these days.
I've learned to check all the ingredients in medicines too. My hubby recently broke out in a blister rash on his hands. It was caused, of all things, by RED DYE in Clamato Juice. WTF? Why do they have to put red dye in a tomato based product?
Be afraid...be verrrry afraid.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks, Ferret!

It's really hard to check ingredients in medicines. Asking a clerk at any pharmacy will result in that blank stare I know so well. I fear being hospitalized and not having control over what goes into my body. I asked Dr. Garcia about gluten-free meds and he said he'd check and get back on it. I'll share, if he finds something out. Bet the pharmacy people in the hospitals are more knowledgeable. . .

You are so right. American corporations and food processors are all about making money and nothing about labeling, health, or truth in advertising - or anything else that might decrease their bottom line by even one sale. I decided yesterday to make my own cereal from now on and it was yummy this morning.

Red dye in Clamato juice is beyond insane. Guess tomatoes just aren't red enough.
Make your own food. Not only is it healthier and less risky it tastes SO much better.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 am

Trailrunner wrote:Thanks, Ferret!

It's really hard to check ingredients in medicines. Asking a clerk at any pharmacy will result in that blank stare I know so well. I fear being hospitalized and not having control over what goes into my body. I asked Dr. Garcia about gluten-free meds and he said he'd check and get back on it. I'll share, if he finds something out. Bet the pharmacy people in the hospitals are more knowledgeable. . .

You are so right. American corporations and food processors are all about making money and nothing about labeling, health, or truth in advertising - or anything else that might decrease their bottom line by even one sale. I decided yesterday to make my own cereal from now on and it was yummy this morning.

Red dye in Clamato juice is beyond insane. Guess tomatoes just aren't red enough.
Make your own food. Not only is it healthier and less risky it tastes SO much better.

Yep, it's truly disgusting. Check with the pharmacist. As for food, the more natural, the better.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:36 pm

In Mexico they use the PLM, and inactive components are not listed.

E-raq wrote:You can always ask at the pharmacy for the excipient. They don't have to tell you, but it should be in the PDR. If not, they can phone the supplier and get the information for you. Quick and easy, because a lot of the drugs here are listed under a different trade name.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Hmm. Is that why "natural" root beer is better than artificial root beer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safrole
E-raq wrote:... As for food, the more natural, the better.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:59 am

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:Hmm. Is that why "natural" root beer is better than artificial root beer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safrole
E-raq wrote:... As for food, the more natural, the better.

Wouldn't know, I don't drink any kind of carbonated drinks flavored with HFCS. Who ever came up with root beer anyhow, a more revolting drink IMHO can not be found.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 am

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:In Mexico they use the PLM, and inactive components are not listed.

E-raq wrote:You can always ask at the pharmacy for the excipient. They don't have to tell you, but it should be in the PDR. If not, they can phone the supplier and get the information for you. Quick and easy, because a lot of the drugs here are listed under a different trade name.

As I said, ask the pharmacist, they'll call the supplier, who may then have to call the manufacturer, however you will eventually find out.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum