INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why? The Faulty Rationalizing

5 posters

Go down

Why?  The Faulty Rationalizing Empty Why? The Faulty Rationalizing

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:58 pm

There seems to be a tendency each time the crime rate topic arises for the foreign community in Mexico to start the rationalization process by comparing to some other city in the US, Canada or some other city in another part of the world. A simple way to show how faulty and totally rediculous this is, only one question is required: "when living elsewhere, did you compare the crime rate with a city or town or village somewhere in Mexico?"

For example, I will admit that Albuquerque has its share of questionable neighborhoods where the crime rate exceeds other areas in the city. But we don't compare the crime rates in those areas with say Juarez, Mexico and why would we? The public forms their own expectations as to what they expect from their community law enforcement and I certainly don't see them comparing to the situation elsewhere.

I continue to be disappointed by the foreign community's apparent lack of concern when it comes to Mexicans being victims of kidnapping, violent crime or even death. How often have we seen comments like:
1) it is a Mexican problem
2) they had to be involved in drugs
3) they deserved it because they were flaunting their wealth
4) and so on
Very simple to write these problems off because you didn't know them or it wasn't affecting the foreign community!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Why?  The Faulty Rationalizing Empty Re: Why? The Faulty Rationalizing

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Denial, CG, denial.
That, and there is really nothing anyone can do about it. The bad people of this country, and those that enable them out of fear or desire for wealth, are in charge. Us old foreign residents have a hard time dealing with it and processing it all and just hope to live out the rest of our lives pretty much as we've been doing.
Tell me, CG, what would YOU do?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 pm

I can only say what our attitude is when traveling the Country of Mexico and have no right to say how I would handle it if we lived there since that would be pure speculation. While the levels of corruption or crime doesn't fit into any neat sort of package, it is what it is in any given location. When making decisions on whether or not to visit a given area, I am never inclined to compare it to somewhere NOB but rather try to keep it on a Mexican perspective. There is no way that I would claim to have the infamous "Gringo invisble shield" that protects us from any type of harm. We continue to be amazed by the number of people of Hispanic heritage that we come into contact with here in Albuquerque who think we are totally crazy for going to Mexico but you will never hear me trying to rationalize with them by using the crime rate in Albuquerque.

As one person quite familiar with the Lakeside area wrote me in an email: "As long as the violence is not aimed at the local expats, nobody will care." Maybe a bit harsh but there is a great deal of truth in the statement.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:05 pm

I completely agree with your first paragraph.
Second paragraph is true too, I think it was Brigitte who spelled it out well. Those of us who are committed to living here, that would be me, will have to endure whatever happens in whatever way they have to to live out their lives here. I rent, so I can pack up my tent and move on anytime I want to. I choose to keep informed so I can better protect myself and stay as safe as possible. Perhaps at some time, maybe if they do start targeting foreigners, I'll have to move and that would probably be to southern Mexico.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, the nastyness seems to be bad in many areas. In Chiapas we have plenty going on as well, mostly amongst indigenous, migrants and so on but it is far from perfect. The curandero of the church in El Cerrillo was taken to a baptism in Chamula on Dec 15 and never reappeared,The family has been looking for him ever since, His daughter and wife sell the chickets on the plaza in front of the church, you may have met them.
Maybe Yucatan is quieter I do not know but there is plenty of crime here too...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Chamula has it's own rules and superstitions, a very interesting place, to say the least.

We went there with our 3 kids for the "running of the bulls", our 11 year old was as big as the "Monkey Men".

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Chamuligans, as they are known.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Just because they have different customs or religions it does not make them less human. The curandero was also Tsotsil so same religion same believes. There is a tendency to dismiss crime among indigenous, they do not get reported therefore do not exist but they also have mouths to feed wifes and daughters and the people left behing hurt just as much as anyone else.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by confused Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am

There are people who do not want to know, because it upsets them. They want to live in a bubble and they want to believe they are safe. They almost cover their ears and reapeat la la la la so as not to hear any conversations about crime. It is not because they do not care about the Mexican victims. It is because they are unable to cope with the reality so they make their own.

I want to know what is going on, but I don't expect the forums to keep me informed. Thats up to me, to develop my own network of info. Friends help friends when times get tough.

confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am

Good post, confused. Welcome.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content