INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes?

+13
Jim W
Parker
CHILLIN
seisdedos
viajero
gringal
Trailrunner
MyHomeSweetHome
CanuckBob
Dr. Sam Thelin
brigitte
Pedro
Talosian
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes? Empty Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes?

Post by Talosian Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 am

Valuable papers, photos, etc. Stuff that could be lost in a fire, etc.

They probably have them in Guadalajara, but that would be my very last choice.

Thanks.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes? Empty Re: Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes?

Post by Pedro Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 am

have you thought about a portable fire proof strong box?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes? Empty Re: Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes?

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

yes a portable fire proof strong box is the way to go this way when someone wants to take it they do not hav to destroy the wall. Beer

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 am

brigitte wrote:yes a portable fire proof strong box is the way to go this way when someone wants to take it they do not hav to destroy the wall. Beer

Recall that the last "American" Gringo (Canada and Mexico are both part of North America) killed had his safe taken/broken.

A secure service would be a target. I do not know of one.

If you really have something of that much value, get a safe. Then hold it in place with both aluminum and stainless steel (or hardened carbon steel bars) bars set into formed congrete (not bolted). The steel will take a long time to cut mechanically, and the aluminum will not be cuttable with a torch (if the bars are large enough, aluminum will radiate the heat away from itself faster than any regular cutting torch can produce).

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 am

Not aluminum. That is one of the softest and easily melted metals around. I can cut it with a butter knife. Perhaps you mean titanium?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 am

Dr Sam I was making fun of the idea, I would never have a safe, it makes you a target.
Someone sells you the safe, someone installs it and the maid finds it eventually, that is way too many people inon the "secret".

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am

the bank

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 am

Noooo. Banks don't have them. Guess why? See post above by Brigitte.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 am

CanuckBob wrote:Not aluminum. That is one of the softest and easily melted metals around. I can cut it with a butter knife. Perhaps you mean titanium?

Actually, no. It is a weaker metal, but not easily melted, even though it has a very low melting temperature. It conducts heat too well. A small piece will melt easily, but if you have a larger bar, the surface area of the unheated area will be over 10:1 of what the heated area will be, and it will radiate all the incoming heat from one area to the unheated part and get rid of the heat faster than you can put in the heat.

A 3cm x 30cm bar will take more than half a tank of acetylene to cut through it. I would have thought otherwise, but I know from trying to cut it myself.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am

The local banks don't have them because they don't want to be targeted. That was the reason my bank gave me.

So: Spend all your money now while you still have it; give your jewelry to your heirs so they can get a head start on wearing it and if you have anything else of value, bury it and be sure the maids and gardeners aren't watching when you do it.
Surte

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 am

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:

A 3cm x 30cm bar will take more than half a tank of acetylene to cut through it. I would have thought otherwise, but I know from trying to cut it myself.
Odd dimensions for a bar but a grinder with a metal cutting disk would make quick work of it.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:01 pm

viajero wrote:
Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:

Odd dimensions for a bar but a grinder with a metal cutting disk would make quick work of it.

Yep and a mini grinder transports easier than a cutting torch set up.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 pm

In fact, one of the folks in Ajijic had a thief who carried one and was working on a really good home safe setup when he was scared off before finishing.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Some lawyers have good safes and extra security. One of ours does, one of his clients left a large deposit of cash and it got moldy and made the whole office sick! Or one of those hiding place furniture setups, but get it custom made in iron.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm

I have built hiding places into woodwork for customers. It will take a thief considerable time to locate them.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

I’ve read that the best place to hide something is in a place that is very difficult to get at. Not easy for you, not easy for them. Example might be somewhere on a ceiling fan, not in a drawer.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:50 pm

seisdedos wrote:
viajero wrote:
Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:

Yep and a mini grinder transports easier than a cutting torch set up.

Thus why I first stated to use two types of metal - one cut resistant, and one melt resistant. I did not feel like going into 300 vs. 400 series stainless, or Inconel alloy. However, I am up to a metallurgy debate Thumbs up

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 pm

i have built furniture with secret compartments like that as well but he is looking for something fire proof.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Pedro wrote:i have built furniture with secret compartments like that as well but he is looking for something fire proof.

He's looking for a safe deposit box. That didn't work out so well.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Two years ago we installed a floor safe in the closet of a remodel. We used the template provided with the safe to imbed the heads of 1/2" stainless steel bolts with fender washers into concrete. The threaded ends are inside the safe so there is no access to the nuts with the safe closed.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Talosian Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks to the two people who responded directly to my question.
Talosian
Talosian
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : All over the field.

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm

I do have a fairly unique story to tell about shipping some valuables. Didn’t know the shippers or what to expect so we purchased a small safe and stuck it in with the rest of the stuff and sure enough at the end of the shipment the empty safe was gone but we did get a nice pair of snow skis.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Talosian wrote:Thanks to the two people who responded directly to my question.

Talosian, I know the other posters were trying to offer other solutions, knowing the banks here don't provide safety deposit boxes! It sounds like you are stuck between TOB.....over moderated to say the least, where there is no snipping allowed, threads are shut down on a whim, and a desire to get specific answers to specific questions........Basketballlol! ....ain't gonna happen here! At least you don't have to worry about getting banned for asking the wrong question!bounce sorry if I misinterpreted your post.Anyplace local (Lakeside) have safety deposit boxes? 78971
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm

....And the short answer is, there are no safety deposit boxes around here so you have to come up with your own solution.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Hope is eternal. Talaosian has been around for a long time and knew the answer.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next