INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farmed Salmon vs. Wild

+15
borderreiver
RoofBob
brigitte
hockables
SkipInAjijic
Jim W
slainte39
DonPito
Pedro
CheenaGringo
Trailrunner
espíritu del lago
ComputerGuy
gringal
David
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Farmed Salmon vs. Wild - Page 2 Empty Re: Farmed Salmon vs. Wild

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Why is it that someone who drew "the short straw" from the gene pool has to make up so many stories and attempt to assert their supreme knowledge about something they know nothing of?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:08 pm

lolololol omg
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:08 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Why is it that someone who drew "the short straw" from the gene pool has to make up so many stories and attempt to assert their supreme knowledge about something they know nothing of?

Boy!! Pedro must have done something pretty awful to you, to get the sharp stick, as many times as he does, on your replies to his posts.
"to assert their supreme knowledge about something they know nothing of", is fairly common occurrence around here, if in fact that is the case. scratch ...hardly worth getting upset over.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Folks from SFO to Alaska know wild salmon. There is NO wild salmon in season at this time of year. So, anyone here saying they got the fish fresh is lying. When salmon is in season a fish market or good supermarket on the west coast will have from 3 to 5 varieties on ice. The difference between King, Silver, and Sockeye is substantial and made even more so by the source (e.g. ocean or specific river). I wouldn't expect anyone who has not lived on the west coast and had the pleasure of consuming all the varieties of salmon to have even a hint of what we're talking about. Having not had that experience I can understand how they'd be skeptical. An important thing to remember is this: If you haven't had the experience please don't try to negate the opinions of those who have. Now, if you've been there and done that and can't tell the difference or don't care about it OK, that simply your palate.'
BTW, if you can import atlantic lobster then you could certainly import all the varieties of Canadian and Alaska salmon. However, knowing the flavor of lobster will not help you discern the range of flavors the different varieties of salmon provide.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:32 pm

slainte39:

Just an FYI, it will be a cold day in hell when I allow myself to be sucked in again by the BS spouted by the fool!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:slainte39:

Just an FYI, it will be a cold day in hell when I allow myself to be sucked in again by the BS spouted by the fool!

I think I get the picture...kind of. There is a lot more to the story and a little war of innuendo.
Maybe you should take him to the octagon for a proper thrashing. LOL
Thanks for the answer.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 pm

slainte39 wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:slainte39:

I think I get the picture...kind of. There is a lot more to the story and a little war of innuendo.
Maybe you should take him to the octagon for a proper thrashing. LOL
Thanks for the answer.

Won't work Slainte, he is into whips n things....loves pain LOL
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:58 pm

David wrote:Folks from SFO to Alaska know wild salmon. There is NO wild salmon in season at this time of year. So, anyone here saying they got the fish fresh is lying. When salmon is in season a fish market or good supermarket on the west coast will have from 3 to 5 varieties on ice. The difference between King, Silver, and Sockeye is substantial and made even more so by the source (e.g. ocean or specific river). I wouldn't expect anyone who has not lived on the west coast and had the pleasure of consuming all the varieties of salmon to have even a hint of what we're talking about. Having not had that experience I can understand how they'd be skeptical. An important thing to remember is this: If you haven't had the experience please don't try to negate the opinions of those who have. Now, if you've been there and done that and can't tell the difference or don't care about it OK, that simply your palate.'
BTW, if you can import atlantic lobster then you could certainly import all the varieties of Canadian and Alaska salmon. However, knowing the flavor of lobster will not help you discern the range of flavors the different varieties of salmon provide.
here's a guy that knows his salmon!
yes we could buy the fresh, in season in alberta, including atlantic. before i left ontario,some of the great lakes were stocked with coho and chinook but they couldn't reproduce so it is an ongoing stocking programme. never fished them myself but friends did,including on manitoulin island.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SkipInAjijic Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 am

go to google and type in Vegan, You no longer will worry about fish.

SkipInAjijic

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:52 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Run your farm raised salmon under cold water and watch the red dye wash out of the fillet or steak.
Not in my world. I always rinse my filets under cold running water before cooking/smoking, and have not witnessed that phenomenon. And except for the purchase from Esteban a couple of weeks ago, I always buy it at Pacifico. So they must all be wild, right? As well, I've never purchased any "fresh" salmon around here; it's always been frozen.

After checking out DonPito's link, a little more research showed a lot of sushi being sprayed with carbon monoxide, in particular tuna and tilapia. Further, these articles pretty much make it clear that if the fish isn't from your neck of the woods, it's been frozen to get it to you.

I'm gonna add that the flakiness often depends on the cook.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:01 pm

No it's not wild. He's never had wild salmon. The color in farm-raised fish comes from the food they're fed, not applied dye. Farm-raised salmon are generally pink, i.e. not as red like wild fish.
http://seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafoodqa/14.php
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Aiyiyi, HG.

No, Pacifico salmon is not wild it is farm raised. The only place I've seen wild (and I believe it is in fact wild) salmon is occasionally at AMC - when he can get it. It's redder, frozen, and pricier. It tastes better and flakes with a fork when cooked. It is NOT mushy. I'm from the SF Bay Area and am VERY familiar with fresh wild salmon.

Yes, there is no "fresh" salmon to be had here and if they tell you it is "fresh" run for the hills. They are lying it was frozen and has been defrosted and probably farm raised. Just think of the logistics! How COULD it be fresh? What, it was caught off of Alaska/Oregon/Washington this morning and flown down express packed in ice and your neighbor pescaderia guy has it for sale??? I don't think soooooo

Again, sushi is rice wrapped in seaweed with different things rolled into it such as: avocado, cucumbers, a piece of fish or chicken, eel, etc etc etc. Do not confuse sushi with fish. They are not synonymous. Perhaps tuna and tilapia have been sprayed with carbon monoxide but they are fish, not sushi.

Up here in the highlands, we want our fish to have been frozen! Otherwise we'd have to depend on a very undependable and dubious distribution system of fish transport from the coast - which at the closest is at least 4 hours away. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Last fall AMC was getting some fresh (coho or sockeye) salmon from BC. I bought some on the day it arrived. He'd sell it fresh only on arrival days, then froze it. That's what he's selling now.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks, David, that's good to know! I trust Bernardo.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:29 pm

AMC also has a frozen fish cart at the Tuesday Farmers' market. Not a huge selection, but they did have some frozen wild salmon filets. I'm planning to cook it tonight and will report on the result. The salmon steaks we bought before were
delicious, but dem bones are a PITA. Pick, pick, pick.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Thanks, David, that's good to know! I trust Bernardo.
Me too. I hope he can get spring and summer run fish too.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 pm

David:

My least favorite grocery chain, SMITH'S a division of Kroger, indicates in their pricing/content tag that their farm raised Atlantic salmon has color added. When we first moved here from the PNW, we weren't familiar with the seafood proceedures in a landlocked State. After some experimenting, we learned very quickly that we didn't care for farm raised Atlantic salmon - red dye added or not. In much the same educational process, seafood, beef or pork is only purchased at Costco and Smith's or Albertson's are not even a consideration!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 pm

About 9 years ago Oregon did something similar.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Beer Pffft.... Farmed / Wild... U say Tomato.... I say Tomato.....

hmmm.... that works better when U hear it

My mind is still Reeling from that Mock Duck!! Shocked
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am

Report on wild frozen salmon filets:
Last night: Marinated 'em, cooked 'em, ...........taste bud bliss.
Never got that from the pale pink, farm raised ones. I rest my case........yours is up to you.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Pls describe your marinade.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:50 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Aiyiyi, HG.

No, Pacifico salmon is not wild it is farm raised. The only place I've seen wild (and I believe it is in fact wild) salmon is occasionally at AMC - when he can get it. It's redder, frozen, and pricier. It tastes better and flakes with a fork when cooked. It is NOT mushy. I'm from the SF Bay Area and am VERY familiar with fresh wild salmon.

Yes, there is no "fresh" salmon to be had here and if they tell you it is "fresh" run for the hills. They are lying it was frozen and has been defrosted and probably farm raised. Just think of the logistics! How COULD it be fresh? What, it was caught off of Alaska/Oregon/Washington this morning and flown down express packed in ice and your neighbor pescaderia guy has it for sale??? I don't think soooooo

Again, sushi is rice wrapped in seaweed with different things rolled into it such as: avocado, cucumbers, a piece of fish or chicken, eel, etc etc etc. Do not confuse sushi with fish. They are not synonymous. Perhaps tuna and tilapia have been sprayed with carbon monoxide but they are fish, not sushi.

Up here in the highlands, we want our fish to have been frozen! Otherwise we'd have to depend on a very undependable and dubious distribution system of fish transport from the coast - which at the closest is at least 4 hours away. . .
OMG. Come on, guys, my comment was facetious when I said "So they must all be wild, right?" in reference to "washing the colour off". Jeepers.

Okay, look, the only place I haven't bought frozen salmon is WalMart. The prices at Pacifico are just so much better. And when I cook my salmon, it is always fork-flakey. Never mushy or slimey. In fact, when pan-frying, when it's about half-done from the skin-down side, I lift it, peel off the skin (yes, there are them's what like crispy skin, too, but not me today), and finish cooking. This gives it a natural pool of extra juices to finish cooking in and burns off the extra fat, so there is no slime at all.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Anyone who's eaten my salmon (and tried my smoked salmon) tells me it is absolutely to die for. So here is my marinade for David (how you cook it is each-to-hizzown):

Ingredients
• 1 1/2 pounds salmon filets
• lemon pepper to taste
• garlic powder to taste
• salt to taste
• 1/3 cup soy sauce
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup water
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Directions
1. Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
2. In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:06 pm

My marinade involved fresh limes, olive oil, fresh rosemary and chives from the garden, chopped garlic and salt later, after it's cooked. About two hours in the fridge in the resealable baggie. No particular measurements. Pure guesswork.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Gringal's appeals to me. Have to try it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:43 pm

You'll be very sad not to have tried both.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next