INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telecable Internet

3 posters

Go down

Telecable Internet Empty Telecable Internet

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:26 pm

This has happened before and it is happening right now. I can connect to the Internet in my house on my ipad and iPhone but not with either of our other 2 computers, an acer laptop and a Toshiba . Now why is that? I think I need a new box thing ( router) , lots of trouble lately but it is so hard to get them to come out. I am seriously considering dumping telecable .

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Telecable Internet Empty Re: Telecable Internet

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 pm

I unfortunately at the moment do not have Telecable. And without it, I don't have any way of getting inside their hardware to find out what the heck they do. I DO know they have a very weird system of WEP/WAP wireless codes.

If your iPod and Phone are still receiving wirelessly (assuming they are hooked up to either your Telecable wireless device or a third-party device hooked into your modem), then the modem is still broadcasting perfectly. It would seem the laptops need to be checked, using their wireless icon (lower right corner of the computer screen) to find out if they are connected or need to be reset. There is no quick answer.

You can try unplugging and replugging the Telecable modem. This resets it, and there is a slim chance this might work for you.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm

My laptops say they are connected but there is no signal, I use them wirelessly . I have tried resetting and all that...nope. I don't think I have a third party thing.

If I click on " repair" I get a message telling me to " registrar con DNS" and contact my web administrator. I get this all the time, usually it works itself out but we are talking 3-4 times a week now.

Telecable customer service is terrible, but then so is Telmex's...we have Prodigy Telmex in our office and it is much more reliable

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I think we all have problems with TelMex occasionally, but in my experience only two major problems in several years. The other service interruptions were very short.

Your message means it's not finding the servers out there... so let me add a bit of explanation:
You can be connected wirelessly, and NOT have any Internet. The wireless connection is only a replacement for an ethernet cable being plugged in. If there is not Internet getting through the modem, all your devices can be connected "wirelessly" but of course will not get any Internet.

Are you sure your i-devices are actually getting Internet service from this modem? Is the light on the modem where it says "Internet"?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Gotcha! I finally understand how I can be connected but not have Internet, people have tried to explain this to me before but I didn't get it.

My iPad is connected to my telecable Internet connection, I checked.

I have 2 boxes. One is the router , the other I guess is the modem .they are both from telecable . The send and receive lights are not on and blinking on the modem as they should be. I don't have a light that says Internet...there is one that says PC and it is on.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Hard to say how your iPad is actually getting content when your other devices are not, especially if the boxes are not blinking properly.

Unplug the power from both. Then plug in the Telecable modem (black box). When the lights are flashing properly, plug in the "router" which is what they provide to you for the 50 pesos extra a month; this will give you the wireless signal when it finally kicks in.

Then check your laptops for Internet. If that doesn't work, they need to come out and check. I cannot really check, for reasons stated earlier...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm

The "PC Activity" light functions when there is an Internet signal to a computer. The Receive and Send lights indicate Internet signal talking to your devices. I believe it is the Online light that would be the Internet light on TelMex, and it should be green and even flashing when it is connected.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok I tried unplugging like you said to do it and it didn't change anything. I think I am going to dump telecable.

Another interesting mystery...there is this thing that happens over and over, imy connection that has a name and password just disappears and my new connection is open, no password. When this happens they have to come out and the guy talks to someone on the phone, I get a new password and then it disappears again . I have had an open connection for weeks. Not a big deal because there is a music school next door and the musicians enjoy having the connection, but I have to do anything requiring security in our office.

Those send and receive lights are not on at all, and those are the only lights on the modem besides PC and power.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to talk to me about this, I really appreciate it!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Happy to try and help. Perhaps there is a reset pinhole on the back of the modem? Holding that in with a pen or paper clip restores order to it all. See the hole at the top of the righthand image.... ?

Sounds like, with your note about them coming over, this is not a computer or connection problem but a TeleCable problem. Perhaps the modem itself is pffft. Or close to pffft. Telecable Internet 1304951802_198181555_1-Fotos-de--Modem-Motorla-SB5101-NUEVO-Listo-para-usarse
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Tried the reset...no good.
I have had several modems and routers . They change them every time they come out. At first they refused to come out because they said I had a computer problem, I didn't have an ipad then, .
But then I had a come to Jesus meeting with the manager and now they get out here pretty quick. This modem is maybe 6 months old.
I am over telecable.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Sorry, but I think it is safe to say that there is nothing to be done on your end. In other words, you did nothing wrong... they are responsible.

To get a TelMex account, you must go into the TelMex office and take a number.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:46 am

Again, I don't know how the local hardware is setup (perhaps someone can give more specific info) but you should be able to see a HTML in your router. This will allow you to tell if you are connected with WiFi or not. Typically in your URL bar you will type 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1). If it works on one device and not another than I would suspect the non working device/s is the trouble. If you get any kind of webpage than you are connected to the router (lan). Depending on the results of this test and you're hardware setup, you can isolate between your lan (you're responsibility) or wan (providers responsibility) and trouble shoot accordingly....

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:04 am

P.s. having two devices makes the trouble isolation a little more difficult and you may want to seek other help (as it sounds like you have).

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

Interesting. Everything is working today. My ipad will not open any page with those #s , my laptops do open the page.

So does this mean that my ipad does not use the router and my lap tops do?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Sorry, can you clarify "any page with those #s ". Do you mean the wireless security numbers, or webpages with https?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

tictoc wrote:Again, I don't know how the local hardware is setup (perhaps someone can give more specific info) but you should be able to see a HTML in your router. This will allow you to tell if you are connected with WiFi or not. Typically in your URL bar you will type 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1). If it works on one device and not another than I would suspect the non working device/s is the trouble. If you get any kind of webpage than you are connected to the router (lan). Depending on the results of this test and you're hardware setup, you can isolate between your lan (you're responsibility) or wan (providers responsibility) and trouble shoot accordingly....

Sorry... 192.168.1.1 opened the page for the router...I guess I should have said URL

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:43 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Sorry, can you clarify "any page with those #s ". Do you mean the wireless security numbers, or webpages with https?
+1

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:42 pm

tictoc wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:Sorry, can you clarify "any page with those #s ". Do you mean the wireless security numbers, or webpages with https?
+1
Ah. Tx. Short term memory. Modem address.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 am

OK so if you can get to 192.168.1.1 than your lan is working. I infer that the page you get is for your WiFi router. You can use the router's page to try and isolate your trouble or you can just call your provider. Also, don't forget that there is another device on the other side of the WiFi router (DSL modem) but my understanding is that should be covered by your provider. If you wanted to, you could see if you are able to talk to it as well ( although you may have to plug directly into it). If your lan is working, your DSL modem will probably give you the best indication of what the trouble is.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down