INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too young to retire!

+29
Guiness
RoofBob
Luisa
brigitte
slainte39
Rosa Venus
lotusflower
MyHomeSweetHome
Lady Otter Latté
hkrause
Nosnow
lunateak
saege007
sambrit10
jrm30655
Jim W
hockables
Ms.Thang
Viajero-Tiempo
Traveller
CanuckBob
Intercasa
viajero
zenwoodle
sundown
Pedro
halcon
Zedinmexico
A/C Gypsies
33 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

2 young to retire - Too young to retire! - Page 7 Empty Re: Too young to retire!

Post by A/C Gypsies Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:58 am

Mean people suck! And just for the record, we don't want a f$%*ing thing from any of you persiminous, nosy, got-nothing-better-to-do busy bodies. Enjoy your ignorance.

A/C Gypsies

Back to top Go down

2 young to retire - Too young to retire! - Page 7 Empty Re: Too young to retire!

Post by Jim W Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 pm

A/C Gypsies wrote:Mean people suck!  And just for the record, we don't want a f$%*ing thing from any of you persiminous, nosy, got-nothing-better-to-do busy bodies.  Enjoy your ignorance.

If you didn't want anything A/C, why did you start this thread? Basta 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:04 pm

A/C Gypsies wrote:Mean people suck!  And just for the record, we don't want a f$%*ing thing from any of you persiminous, nosy, got-nothing-better-to-do busy bodies.  Enjoy your ignorance.

are ya pissed off because we figgered ya out purdy quick? what colour is yer carpet bag by the way?-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:12 pm

While I must admit this thread has been interesting to read, I do think that some people on this forum must be in extra-good shape for all the exercise they get in jumping to conclusions.

Gypsies, if your intentions are truly innocent and friendly (not something I'm in a position to judge one way or another), don't judge the whole expat community by the conspiracy theorists on this board.

Some of them have reasons (personal experience) to be suspicious. Others, I can't account for.

I'm in my mid-fifties and while I have encountered some people here I will avoid when I can, the vast majority have been friendly, inclusive, and interesting. It is a small community, though. Word gets around and reputations matter, so it's best to be up-front from the beginning. I never did get a clear picture of exactly what you're looking for in terms of opportunities to earn money, and that may be what some people are reacting to. And when you shared your background it just made things muddier, at least for me.

Sometimes forums like these give me a headache as people seem to act so differently than they would face-to-face, and not for the better. On the other hand you can meet some nice folks and get some great information.

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 pm

snick. Used for those who don't even deserve a SNORK. Thumbs down 

BTW did you mean parsimonious? I'm not sure what persiminous means (like a persimmon?) scratch 

As for ignorance how is it that you feel capable of offering financial advice when you have already mentioned that you did not plan successfully for yourselves? 2 young to retire - Too young to retire! - Page 7 477249 
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Just take the good advice and forget the rest...............Beer 
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 pm

A/C Gypsies wrote:

So many of you wanted to know our skillset in order to be more helpful, so here it is.  I have been actively involved in flipping real estate, condos, houses, vacant land, etc.  My grandfather was the founder of 3 large banks in Detroit.  My father was a professor of international business and economics.  
I am a Certified Residential Real Estate Appraiser and have been in the business since 1997.  My husband and I ran our own appraisal business for the past 9 years specializing in complex, high end waterfront properties.

And now you're professional house/pet sitters in Mexico?
Thanks for the chuckles,a/c.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Gypsies and others following this thread: please listen to Sambrit, s/he offers excellent advice and exhibits clear thinking.
Sambrit, just for the record: I did not jump to any conclusions. I read this thread with interest. Early on, I even sent the Gypsies a PM of encouragement. However, I was taught critical thinking skills at the schools I attended. The picture created by the pieces of this puzzle when they finally fell into place is clear to me.
Those of you who think some of us are being unfair to the Gypsies: contact them as the Mrs. suggested and listen to their pitch. If you still think we have been unfair, follow the financial advice of a couple who (by their own admission) did not have enough money to be retired down here but came to Mexico anyway and for whom (by their own admission) returning to the U.S. is not an option.
Further, I would have acted exactly the same had I met the Gypsies in person. I would have listened politely to what they were saying, been pleasant and courteous, applied my critical thinking skills and life experience, and then I would have said the same things to them face-to-face.
I remain fascinated by a person (or persons) who went from sweet, broke, slightly bewildered expat looking for help to savvy financial planner/real estate investor to snarling harridan on one thread. I still would not consider seeking financial advice from that entity. But, that is just me.

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by A/C Gypsies Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:08 pm

What people don't seem to understand is that we saved every penny we could for eight years, denying ourselves any luxury, so that we would be able to start a NEW LIFE in Mexico. I made it quite clear that we came here to reinvent ourselves, not to keep doing the same thing as NOB. For those who seem so lofty, I would point out that we are not broke and never will be. We just need an occupation that will generate some income so that we don't have to spend our savings. Honestly, people, can you just stop scrutinizing our lives for us and just offer some helpful advice on opportunities for a young couple?

BTW, when my wife poured her heart out yesterday she was trying to explain why NOB is not an option. It was never her intention to offer financial planning advice, but to issue a gentle warning about the state of things to come in the US.

A/C Gypsies

Humor : Willing to laugh, if you're funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

If Mrs. Gypsy was not offering financial advice, she needs to know that she sounded as though she was. When someone says "I know that these are not pleasant things to contemplate, however, I would be happy to help any of you that read this post and want more information. This is your hard earned money and you need to protect it by getting your assets outside of the large institutions. If I can help just one person, then this diatribe was worth the effort!" then I think they are offering to give me financial advice. Again, that is just me.
And, now, I will leave this thread to the Gypsies and those still interested in a back-and forth with them. Adios!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:33 pm

All I am saying, is..........
The transition from posts about house sitting to Warren Buffet-esque posts on financial advice in a few months is a big leap.
An evolution that would even have Darwin's head spinning.   Very Happy
...or like changing from a quarter horse into a distance running thorougbred.  scratch

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Kinda like ... goin from Flipp'n Houses to Flipp'n Burgers  Beer 

Lakeside needs a Burger Joint... maybe Sausages In A Bun...............
Maybe a Mobile Choke N Puke ... delivering lunches to workers on site!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Bender Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I have never understood the fascination many people down here have with the expression "reinvent ourselves". Isn't that something someone on the run would do? Or maybe a trans-sexual? I mean, is moving to another town or country or changing jobs or becoming a self published writer reinventing yourself? Seems to me you're the same person but with a different occupation or geographical location.

Bob Bender
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:58 pm

Bob Bender wrote:I have never understood the fascination many people down here have with the expression "reinvent ourselves" .... ..... Seems to me you're the same person but with a different occupation or geographical location.

As my dear old grandmother used to say, "No matter where you go .... there you are."
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by halcon Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:38 pm

no, it's like a modernized "changed my style" or"wearing a different hat" or adopting a new position . it has "trickled down" from performers like
Maddona. and has a positive connotation, it can be both thrilling and
relieving . as with a new outlook,new perspective or attitude. great for those suffering a broken heart, burnout or
being bored to death.
halcon
halcon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : if it's funny,i laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:52 pm

" Broken Hearts Are For Assholes "
.......................................... Frank Zappa
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 am

Hocks, you are such a romantic. Very Happy 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7