INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly

+10
viajero
CanuckBob
smint
slainte39
CheenaGringo
Lady Otter Latté
gringomojado
jrm30655
lunateak
espíritu del lago
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly Empty Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Dr Enrique C. Morales Villegas, director of the Cardiometabolic Research Centre in Aguascalientes, Mexico, made the extraordinary statement overnight that his national cuisine is more dangerous than the sludge served up by fast food chains.

Read More
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/leading-cardiologist-says-mexican-food-is-the-worlds-most-deadly/story-fneuz8wn-1226766810291

Do you agree or disagree with the proposed testing?
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly Empty Re: Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly

Post by lunateak Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:22 pm

The higher rate of diabetes is most alarming. Early treatment is critical. Yes, I support testing and monitoring the population.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly Empty Re: Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly

Post by jrm30655 Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I have found that no matter what you eat, eventually, you die.

The wife was always on her husband about their diet and she must have been right because they were both 95 and in good health when the bus ran the light and ... SPLAT!!!

They end up in heaven and St Pete starts showing them around. "Just pick a house you like and move in".

The old lady is just estatic. The old man says "What does this cost?"

St Pete "This is heaven it is all free"

They move in and discover that there is no kitchen. When they get hungry, they find St Pete.

St Pete "No one cooks here in heaven. There is a cafeteria on every block" and he shows them the closest one.

The cafeteria has everything for the world. The old man looks around and says "What does this cost?"

St Pete "This is heaven, everything is free"

The old man looks around for a bit and asks "Where's the low cal bar?"

St Pete says "No low cal bar here. You can eat anything you want with no ill effects"

The old man thinks about that a minute, then turns and knocks the old lady on her butt"

St Pete "Why did you do that?"

Old man "If it wasn't for her, I'd have been here 30 years ago!!!"

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Carnitas?
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 pm

No one will convince me that carnitas is worse for you than McRibs or "chicken" nuggets.

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 pm

You probably won't get an argument from the residents of Quiroga where "carnitas" are king.  On the main drag of Quiroga, there is probably a world record concentration of carnitas stands.  The photo which follows rpobably represents 20% of the stands that are open daily:
Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly <a href=Leading cardiologist says Mexican food is the world's most deadly Dscn4310" />

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:21 pm

Heaven! flag waver 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 pm

A most economical place to eat.
Years ago when I lived in Zamora, we used to go to Quiroga and start at one end and get a sample at each, all the way down.
Guess what?....by the end of sampling, you were too full to go back and buy. On to the cerveza, to wash it down.  Very Happy 
Why?...young, hungry, and not much money.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Ah, you have the gift for telling a story, Slainte. Beer 
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by smint Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:06 am

The traditional Mexican foods have been around since way before the country has had an obesity problem. To me it is more the influx of non-traditional junk food that is at the root of the problem.

smint

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 am

Probably Coca Cola being the number one source.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:35 am

I agree smint and CBob.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Probably Coca Cola being the number one source.
But the "cocas" in MX are made with cane sugar, not HFCS!
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by smint Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm

gringomojado wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Probably Coca Cola being the number one source.
But the "cocas" in MX are made with  cane sugar, not HFCS!
gm
Urban legend. Some yes, others, no.

smint

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:07 pm

“But when Francisco Garza Egloff, chief executive of Arca Continental (AC*:MM), Coca-Cola’s Mexican bottler, let slip in an earnings call two weeks ago that the company is considering using more corn syrup to cut costs (the government would soon approve a tax on junk food), America’s small but vocal Cult of Mexicoke freaked out. It was enough to prompt a reversal of sorts from Arca, which subsequently vowed to continue using only cane sugar in the Coke it exports to the U.S. Call it a New Coke moment in reverse for the maker of Mexican Coke. The uproar also revealed that much of the Coke sold south of the border already contains high-fructose corn syrup. Arca’s corn-to-sugar mix for the soda it sells at home is around 50/50.”

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-11-11/the-mexican-coca-cola-myth-its-almost-american
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:20 am

smint wrote:The traditional Mexican foods have been around since way before the country has had an obesity problem. To me it is more the influx of non-traditional junk food that is at the root of the problem.
I agree, along with a more sedentary lifestyle, caused by the influx of automotive vehicles, tv, and dvd's.
The walking or bike riding kilometros per capita has probably been halved over the last 25 years.
Don't know what part it plays, but Coca has been around a long time, and Coca Light has only been popular in the last 10 years or so.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 am

We may be taking the easy excuse when blamming the problem on Coca-Cola and fast foods? As Slainte suggested, sedimentary lifestyle may have a great influence? I might also suggest the economy negatively impacting the diets by forcing higher usage of fillers such as beans?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:35 am

CheenaGringo wrote:  I might also suggest the economy negatively impacting the diets by forcing higher usage of fillers such as beans?
Come on Neil,beans have been a staple here forever,my wife made (frijoles de la olla) yesterday,delicious,nobody had to force me to eat them,heck even rich Mexicans eat beans.
If you want an economic filler try a (torta de tamal).

Last edited by viajero on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by smint Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:38 am

CheenaGringo wrote:We may be taking the easy excuse when blamming the problem on Coca-Cola and fast foods?  As Slainte suggested, sedimentary lifestyle may have a great influence?  I might also suggest the economy negatively impacting the diets by forcing higher usage of fillers such as beans?
Where did you get the idea that beans are fillers? They are one of the most beneficial ingredients in the traditional Mexican diet.

Beans are comparable to meat when it comes to calories, says Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, a registered dietitian at Northwestern Memorial Hospital's Wellness Institute in Chicago and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. But they really shine in terms of fiber and water content, two ingredients that make you feel fuller, faster. Adding beans to your diet helps cut calories without feeling deprived.

smint

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:41 am

slainte39 wrote:
smint wrote:The traditional Mexican foods have been around since way before the country has had an obesity problem. To me it is more the influx of non-traditional junk food that is at the root of the problem.
I agree, along with a more sedentary lifestyle, caused by the influx of automotive vehicles, tv, and dvd's.
The walking or bike riding kilometros per capita has probably been halved over the last 25 years.
Don't know what part it plays, but Coca has been around a long time, and Coca Light has only been popular in the last 10 years or so.
What portion of the Mexican population could afford Coca Cola twenty+ years ago? I remember the days in México when it seemed the mix was worth more than the liquor. The junk foods, while convenient, are also usually expensive (relatively speaking). The growing middle class who can now afford these things are probably the ones primarily pushing these stats up?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:43 am

Neil...what the heck is a sedimentary life style?
Lack of physical activity is one thing, settling to the bottom of the ocean is another...when it comes to obesity.scratch lol!
(maybe obese people sink faster)

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:49 am

The Mexican diet is seriously lacking in green vegetables. The Mexican idea of a green vegetable serving is to add a little cilantro and serrano chili to your salsa.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 am

Slainte: You got me with that one! It popped up on word suggest and without paying close attention, I went with it. Mea culpa.

I think I understand about beans? I am thinking about restaurants who cut back on other ingredients that may be more expensive in a burrito but keep the price and size the same by adding more beans. Granted I am ignorant about beans since they are one of my least favorite ingredients in Mexican food and may be left on the plate.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:55 am

But that probably hasn't changed in hundreds of years. I think the point is that something has changed recently (say the last 15+ years). No?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 am

Processed foods are THE major addition to the diet causing a rise in obesity and other related health problems here and elsewhere.  IMO.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next