INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar Power SOB

+8
CHILLIN
Zedinmexico
CanuckBob
Intercasa
zenwoodle
Jim W
David
CheenaGringo
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Solar Power SOB - Page 2 Empty Re: Solar Power SOB

Post by David Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Payback period is meaningless.  Look at ROI.  You can put your $ in a CD in the US and get what, 1.5%?  In Mexico maybe 4%.  Put it on your roof and get 15% or more!

David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:37 pm

David wrote:Payback period is meaningless.  Look at ROI.  You can put your $ in a CD in the US and get what, 1.5%?  In Mexico maybe 4%.  Put it on your roof and get 15% or more!
Very Happy  Beer Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:38 pm

chinagringo you get off DAC when the rolling year is less than 3000kw it took us 6 months to get off DAC after we installed the system and then CFE did not read the meter properly so they overbilled us and after that we did not pay electricity for a year now we are now paying 100 pesos or so a month as you are billed monthly when you go solar.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:08 am

I've had my system now, more than 5 years. Sure, the panels etc were more expensive then, but it was about the best investment I have made in years. I sold my stocks in late 1007 and early 2008 for the solar equipment. Were I to have held the stocks that I sold for the investment, within a year they would have crashed to less than half of what they were worth when I sold them.

My last electric bill was $150 pesos.  I've done a lot better investing with www.esunenergy.com than I did in stocks and bonds
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:06 am

In configuring the number of panels needed, keep in mind their efficiency deteriorates slightly over time. Course you could always add another panel later if you have the inverter capacity.

After almost two years I'm really happy with my 18 panel unit.

SunFan

P.S. My meter and CFE bill show only kwh sent to the grid and received from the grid. How do you determine actual usage???
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:24 am

Of course the reality is that Mexico will be slow to adopt solar or alternative power until they can reform C.F.E. It is a widespread practice for high consumption users to have their meters 'altered' by a CFE insider to anything the customer wants - as long as it is believable. They put a new gear in and a new security tag. Apparently the new digital meters have also been 'cracked' - this is one reason CFE is not insisting on their installation.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:49 am

Many parts of Mexico are adopting solar power at a rapid rate; Lakeside, Guadalajara, PV, Mazatlan and other resort areas.  Big companies in Guad are installing huge solar arrays, e.g. HP is installing 5,000 panels at their facility.  The economics are compelling.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Intercasa wrote:What does a solar system cost in the Chapala area?  My bills are getting high although I do use AC and heat alot.  Bills are 2,000 pesos so perhaps something that generates 500khw every 2 month period?  

Spencer, PM or email me and we'll get you a great deal on a top quality system sized to meet your needs.    Your CFE bills change to monthly, FYI, once on solar with the new meter.    

We also have (to the other posts on lighting) LED bulbs of 7 watts / 650 lumens in warm white, pure white, and cool white for 175 pesos each, 50,000 hour life, getting great feedback on them.   Available at Chopsticks eatery in Plaza Bugambilias, Wed to Sat, 11 to 5.

We'll be at the Chili Cookoff and are again sponsoring the Northern Lights Music Festival; there will be a nice package to bid on to help support the musicians that will get someone a very good deal on any system of their choice.    Details coming up in the NLMF insert in an upcoming OJO.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Punography

http://www.solartechnology.com.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:43 pm

SunFan wrote:In configuring the number of panels needed, keep in mind their efficiency deteriorates slightly over time. Course you could always add another panel later if you have the inverter capacity.

After almost two years I'm really happy with my 18 panel unit.

SunFan

P.S. My meter and CFE bill show only kwh sent to the grid and received from the grid. How do you determine actual usage???

Read your inverter's kWh production from the display on the front panel.    Take the total solar production for the time period you are interested in, subtract your "sent to CFE" and add your "used from CFE" amounts from your CFE meter for the same time period.

The result is your total use for that time period.    

For the folks who have the great i-energy micro inverters we distribute nationally in MX, they can get the same info via the internet, from anywhere, using the monitoring module, as the micros don't have screens to read.    They also have many other benefits including 25 year warranty and are very reliable and cost effective for small and medium size systems.

Large ones too - we installed a 30 panel system in PV with them in December where partial shadowing was an issue. As each panel / micro unit is independent of all the others, there is much higher efficiency as you don't lose a whole string to a shadow, like with a single large central inverter.

http://www.i-energyinc.com/en/products/i-micro-inverter.html
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Great information Go Solar. Definitely things to consider when sourcing a solar system.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Each system type has it's features and benefits.  It pays to shop around and hear each company's proposal.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Energy Trend review & writeup:

http://pv.energytrend.com/research/iEnergy_20111114.html
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Interesting fluff PR piece from over 2 years old.  In the technology biz 2 years is a lifetime.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Solar Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Care for a drink?   Saucer of milk?   Rolling Eyes 

In the inverter arena, apart from TL technology in central inverter lines such as Kaco and Fronius (which we also have and use, by the way) not that much new has happened in the past few years, apart from the rise of micros from Enphase and i-Energy.

Even most of the pricing action has happened on panels as opposed to inverters; that could soon change as mentioned in the article.
Go Solar
Go Solar
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Another reason for solar, not sure if anybody has mentioned it but the CFE is changing their old meters out and forcing people to use cards that read their own meters monthly and then bring the card to the CFE or authorized location to then find out how much the bill is.  Then you bring the card back and the meter scans it to register the payment made and so that your electricity is not automatically shut off.  HUGE pain and no more bills, kind of funny in a land where everybody wants a copy of your utility bill.  I was told about the new system last week and today in Providencia the CFE guys were going house to house issuing the new cards.  They will layoff workers and burden the people more, I don't see any good coming out of it, another reason to go solar.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:34 pm

Weird deal on meter reading SOB, they charge approx. $4.00 USD  NOB and read it on line....new meters do not require a physical reading. Solar Power SOB - Page 2 477249 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:46 am

Jim W wrote:Weird deal on meter reading SOB, they charge approx. $4.00  USD  NOB and read it on line....new meters do not require a physical reading. Solar Power SOB - Page 2 477249 

Many meters are radio equipped these days.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2