INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's grow a garden

3 posters

Go down

Let's grow a garden Empty Let's grow a garden

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:28 am

January:tomorrow I'll break ground!!
 The very first things I'm planting is onions ,  sweet ones, red ones, and white ones. Also I'm planting shallots and garlic! 
Where I am now I've had horrible luck between the deer, armadillo grrr.

can't plant more til March\ February.  Then okra that I know will grow.  Fences are useless around here. Also getting new baby chickens!  Redoing the roof on the henhouse. 

So what are you growing?  Later I'll add more. Let's share tips and techniques! !
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Let's grow a garden Empty Re: Let's grow a garden

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am

Definitely grow japs, cayenne, pequins.  Gonna plant sunflowers too.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 am

V... lol..  Very Happy
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 am

Yesterday I got the tilling done, yesterday is was downright hot! Today and next few days its supposed to sleet and or snow. Then this Saturday back to hot. I'll make mounds and plant onions.

Anybody know any natural weedkillers besides of hoeing and pulling?

espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am

The best and easiest way to garden is raised beds, planted as "lasagna garden". No weeding, no tilling. Google it. I bought a whole mess of seeds from http://seedman.com/category/misc-seeds.htm . All sub-tropicals and exotics. He has a lot of interesting things. Had no problem shipping into Mexico using a broker/shipper out of Laredo.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm

CHILLIN wrote:The best and easiest way to garden is raised beds, planted as "lasagna garden". No weeding, no tilling. Google it. I bought a whole mess of seeds from http://seedman.com/category/misc-seeds.htm . All sub-tropicals and exotics. He has a lot of interesting things. Had no problem shipping into Mexico using a broker/shipper out of Laredo.

Could you please share the broker's info. I have been wanting to have some heirloom tomato seeds sent.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Certainly Jeff - it was iShop across from WalMart. They give you the Laredo mailbox address and then their broker clears and they ship to the address. I have heard that Mexico customs only clears seeds from company's they recognize, but I also get the impression that it is utter chaos there.

I always heard that tomatoes are hard to grow Lakeside. I think the problem is trying to grow plants from a zone 4 climate, when we are at least 9 to 11. I am growing (have seeds for) a Florida hybrid which can take over 90F in heat. You might have to have shade cloth over heirlooms.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:00 pm

I checked out the website and it very distinctively says that "semillas" are prohibited.

http://www.ishopnmail.com/prohibidos.aspx

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:57 am

I got mine, over $120 worth. The confusion here is their carrier, Estafeta, who will not ship live plants, but will ship seeds. The broker does get a certificate, for about 80 pesos. They check the names against a list - the problem is that Seedman shows the latin names on his website, but the invoice only has the 'common' name - so it probably slows things down. Try a small order - you will see. I know of two other gardeners who order seeds from the U.S.A. with no problems. The only problem I have heard of, from Sunfan on this board, is that they back ordered an item, and then shipped it - he had to pay shipping/handling etc which cost more than the seeds. iShop only charges $2 U.S. for pickup service. Live plants need a phyto certificate and no soil on the roots - much more difficult to find a courier as well.

This gardener from Chapala Garden Club buys seeds from Thompson and Morgan http://www.lakechapalagardenclub.org/what_grows_when.html

There is a new garden club which meets the second Wednesday of the month, they are starting a seed exchange.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:07 pm

Just to be double sure, I tried contacting the iShop representative in the US that is listed on the website. The phone number was unable to answer and the email message was returned as undeliverable. I think I'll hold off on using their services.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:31 pm

I would be surprised if they had a bricks and mortar office in Texas. I used to call Estafeta U.S.A. and talk to their staff custom clearance rep. I think her name is Laura. Estafeta U.S.A. will let you ship to their office and then quarterback it to Estafeta Mexico. You must let them know in advance, and your name clearly on the box. I thought they might consolidate shipments, but they will not. In general couriers like to deliver to businesses, in business hours. This is why they like Mail Boxes Etc, Handymail or iShop.

There is a large gardening store right in the middle of Guadalajara. It is quite famous. I think it was originally called "Der Zeppelin" - but that had to be changed during the world wars. A multi-generational family of gardeners. There is also a Belgium gardener near Puerto Vallarta who has an amazing collection of tropical fruit, nut, spices and exotic plants for sale. He does not sell seeds and unable to ship live plants. Plants are a lot more expensive than seeds.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/news/news/featured-news/42131-sisters-run-83-year-old-agricultural-business-from-downtown-guadalajara
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm

CHILLIN wrote:I would be surprised if they had a bricks and mortar office in Texas. I used to call Estafeta U.S.A. and talk to their staff custom clearance rep. I think her name is Laura. Estafeta U.S.A. will let you ship to their office and then quarterback it to Estafeta Mexico. You must let them know in advance, and your name clearly on the box. I thought they might consolidate shipments, but they will not. In general couriers like to deliver to businesses, in business hours. This is why they like Mail Boxes Etc, Handymail or iShop.

There is a large gardening store right in the middle of Guadalajara. It is quite famous. I think it was originally called "Der Zeppelin" - but that had to be changed during the world wars. A multi-generational family of gardeners. There is also a Belgium gardener near Puerto Vallarta who has an amazing collection of tropical fruit, nut, spices and exotic plants for sale. He does not sell seeds and unable to ship live plants. Plants are a lot more expensive than seeds.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/news/news/featured-news/42131-sisters-run-83-year-old-agricultural-business-from-downtown-guadalajara

Estafeta has their own freight forwarder called Merkalink. They give you a customer number when you register. They are pretty strict about following the rules and regulations. I had something they refused to ship, it was a raw wood product and they told me all wood products need a special permit. Their site also lists seeds as prohibited.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

The Estafeta mx site says "Plantas y animales (vivos o muertos)." plants or animals - live or dead. They do not mean seeds. But most countries, and many states, wisely prohibit certain 'invasive' species. That's the list that is checked - the seed companies know the rules very well. I also import India spice seeds and medicinal herbs - no problem with them as well. I can see with the wood - all wood pallets and packaging have to be checked/fumigated - whatever.

The service a lot of Mexican people use in business on Mercadolibre is Redpack. They are much cheaper for freight charges, but a box in Laredo will cost $20 U.S. per year. I have not tried them yet.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:45 pm

If its just tomatoes you want, order on mercadolibre.com.mx You can pay at an Oxxo store.
]http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/semillas-tomates#D[A:semillas-tomates,B:1]
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:29 pm

This is the service I mentioned.  http://merkalink.com/importacion.asp#prohibidos. This is an Estafeta owned company. Again, their website lists "semillas" as prohibited so I did call them up (in the US) and they said they would not forward anything on their list of prohibited items into the country. They can be fined and the merchandise confiscated.

So, thank you for your help, but I will forgo for the moment the importation of "semillas".

BTW, the address in Laredo,Tx for Merkalink and Estafeta are one and the same.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Right around 200 onions planted. Sweet, white,  and red.  50 garlic planted. Best of all the rain moves in tonight.  cheers  The downside is my back hurts!!! Good day!
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down