INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New crime reporting policy on TOB...

+18
Seventyseven
David
lunateak
Traveller
Flamingo
RoofBob
slainte39
Mainecoons
Pedro
viajero
Playaboy
gringal
DolceVita
espíritu del lago
CheenaGringo
Lady Otter Latté
CanuckBob
addtocart
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New crime reporting policy on TOB... - Page 2 Empty Re: New crime reporting policy on TOB...

Post by Flamingo Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 pm

My one concern is that events such as the recent murder of Nina and Eduardo is trivialized when it can't be discussed, at least a little, on a community Web board. In this sort of situation, there is a need for mutual grieving and sharing.

Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New crime reporting policy on TOB... - Page 2 Empty Re: New crime reporting policy on TOB...

Post by Traveller Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:59 pm

I agree, provided people who are not personally involved can remain mindful of the fact that friends and relatives are also reading the comments.

Lakechapalacrime.com is a resource (a woefully under-used resource!) for reporting crime, but it's not a discussion board. Thanks to Mainecoons and others for directing people to this board. And kudos to CBob and the other moderators for keeping this board up and running!
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 am

Mainecoons wrote:I can't figure out why you all obsess over it so much.  It is what it is and this is what it is.  The people there, including me, have been referring people who want to discuss the banned stuff there to come over here.

I think you should be happy they are doing this, it builds traffic here.

Let it go, folks.

It must be by PM because I hear any mention of us over there is deleted. At least we give them free press over here.........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:00 am

No, it is not. You've heard incorrectly.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 am

In the past I have been banned on TOB for posting a link to this board. I'm happy to see that that no longer applies.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 am

Just the other day one of the mods over there posted a link to this board for people who want to read the crime stuff.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 am

Yes. The policy over there has changed. There was a time when mentioning this board was not allowed. A link to this board would be deleted. I was told it was considered "rude" to "advertise" another board. Things have been loosening up for a while. The latest kerfluffle over the double murders and the subsequent decision to ban all reports of crime on TOB resulted in a full-on endorsement of this board as the place to go to talk crime.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 am

lunateak wrote:In the past I have been banned on TOB for posting a link to this board.  I'm happy to see that that no longer applies.

Good point. This used to happen. But I've been directing people over here and not been stopped. To keep it low keyed, I don't link, just name it so that it is easy to find.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:46 am

Doesn't it feel strange to be a moderator over there and feel the "need" to refer people to this site to get information and discuss current events ?
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 am

Not at all. There is a lot of information there and a lot of current events. There is not crime reporting and not stuff for sale. Those are here.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 am

Richer discourse here too.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:18 am

gringal wrote: There's no "loyalty oath" asked when we join either board.

Some people are the epitome of that observation.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:16 pm

viajero wrote:Just the other day one of the mods over there posted a link to this board for people who want to read the crime stuff.

OK, so just for the fun of it, go post a new topic over there titled "Inside Lakeside is Awesome". Then tell everyone about us assholes over here and post a link. Let's see how long it lasts.

Beer Beer Beer 
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:20 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
viajero wrote:Just the other day one of the mods over there posted a link to this board for people who want to read the crime stuff.

OK, so just for the fun of it, go post a new topic over there titled "Inside Lakeside is Awesome". Then tell everyone about us assholes over here and post a link. Let's see how long it lasts.

Beer Beer Beer 
I would Bob but I think I've already accumulated enough warning points over there to get me banned and I'd rather not waste my last one on this. BTW I don't think there are many assholes over here,just a few.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Playaboy wrote:

I find that most of your posts lack substance on this board, TOB and Mexconnect.  You are very good a criticizing other people post.
When you recently stated on Mexconnect that Mexico was on the verge of revolution and suggested that the Mexican people should be allowed easier access to firearms,I did indeed criticize your posts,is that what you're referring to? Rolling Eyes 

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:48 pm

CanuckBob wrote:

Beer Beer Beer 

Aww, get serious willya?  Hell your ugly avatar is enough to run people away. razberry 
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Actually, though, I think they did something really dumb when they banned the "stuff for sale" posts. But yours is way too far down the page. I'd move it up to right under this section and maybe give it a more grabby title.

Traffic really dropped over there when they stopped letting people post sale stuff. But it needs to be more visible here. I notice that when they moved the animal section up, the traffic jumped on it. Don't ask me why, but position in the thread list seems to have quite an impact.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Mainecoons wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:

Beer Beer Beer 

Aww, get serious willya?   Hell your ugly avatar is enough to run people away.  razberry 

Well you and Viajero implied that TOB has changed and no longer has a problem with something as innocent as a discussion about another web board. I figured at least one of you would back it up.......jajajaja. Seems not eh???
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:57 pm

You want verification? You got it.  There is an entire thread called TOB.
Here is one quote, courtesy of cut and paste:

"
   Members
   PipPipPip
   867 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yep Mainecoon said most of it but understand if you were on before that the rules have changed. Basically  no personal abuse is allowed anymore even on the anything goes forum.  In other words its not an anything goes forum anymore!  Watch for a while before you post and you will get what is expected for behavior.  Yes insideguide is more loose than Chapala.com but don't think for  a second that it will tolerate your personal abusive comment as it won't.  This is a recent change and is enforced by moderators. And Yes even the moderators get there stuff deleted if they violate the new defined rules.

By the way Insidelakeside  sponsors a soccer team for the kids in Ajijic.  Please feel free to join us for the games and help support Kids soccer in Lakeside or get together and sponsor your own team.  (sorry for the commercial moderator but hope you allow it)."

Thanks for listening.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm speculating but I think the admin at TOB decided it was better to encourage folks to come over here and publish the stuff he wouldn't allow so he decided to allow a reasonable amount of referrals.  I've been doing it for some time.  I used to add a caveat about the "rough stuff" here but since this board has stopped that, I can recommend it without reservation.

Nice work C-Bob! Please consider my suggestion about for sale posts, you're not getting near the volume of those that TOB had before they were banned. I really like that feature, both for selling and buying.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Has anyone ever switched boards in the postion of moderator??? Very Happy   ....before???

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seventyseven Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 pm

They have a right not to discuss crime. They did publish a comment yesterday that stated "There is no crime wave.....except drug related..." The gentleman conveniently forgot there were 8 expats mudered in the last 2 1/2 years. I am not counting the one in Joco. I am focusing on home invasions, and the Kahr murder. I should include violent assaults, they count as well. I suppose that member does not read LakeChapalaCrime.com. Someone responded to him, then the thread was locked. I would delete the topic which has the headline "Slaughter" (warning graphic). Then again, it happend far from here. Still it does look creepy for new comers.

Seventyseven
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Maybe Mainecoons would like to start his own Lake Chapala "For Sale Forum" instead of trying to tell CB where his Wanted/For Sale/For Rent segment should be? Seems to me that it is clearly identified and has been getting its fair share of activity. Hell TOB had to succumb to pressure to move "Let's Talk About our Furry and Feathered Friends" in an attempt to keep people happy. Their choice since they have the most successful Lake Chapala forum?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Do you understand the difference between "telling" someone and offering a suggestion?

Why don't you knock off the thinly veiled hostility. It gets boring. And let C-Bob complain if he doesn't like my suggestion. He's really quite capable of doing so without your help.

Thanks.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by TTT Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't understand why it matters that there is another forum. If your forum is better, people will come here for discussion. We are former business owners and know that the way to beat your competition is to provide the best service to your customers. BTW, who is your customer? The posters? The advertisers?

Maybe TOB is trying to control the trolls that inevitably gather at these forums and insert their nasty selves into every discussion until everyone leaves in disgust. I can understand that if your objective is to sell real estate you don't want posters who will argue with or insult your customers.  

TOB never states that their objective is to do something other than sell real estate. It is pretty obvious that theirs' is an informational forum. A newcomer's guide to Lake Chapala.

If this forum is for information and discussion among locals, why does it matter if TOB does something different - unless you are in a battle for advertisers?

TTT

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:27 pm

TTT wrote:I don't understand why it matters that there is another forum. If your forum is better, people will come here for discussion. We are former business owners and know that the way to beat your competition is to provide the best service to your customers. BTW, who is your customer? The posters? The advertisers?

Maybe TOB is trying to control the trolls that inevitably gather at these forums and insert their nasty selves into every discussion until everyone leaves in disgust. I can understand that if your objective is to sell real estate you don't want posters who will argue with or insult your customers.  

TOB never states that their objective is to do something other than sell real estate. It is pretty obvious that theirs' is an informational forum. A newcomer's guide to Lake Chapala.

If this forum is for information and discussion among locals, why does it matter if TOB does something different - unless you are in a battle for advertisers?

EXACTLY. These two boards are very complementary to each other now. We're lucky to have both.

Very well put, thank you. And your third sentence is the spirit in which I offered my suggestion to C-Bob about the for sale section. Before TOB stopped these postings, they really generated a lot of traffic. I don't see that here yet and simply passed along several observations that might boost traffic.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next