INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reliability of internet

+8
Trailrunner
MexicoPete
Zedinmexico
eagles100
hickton
Lady Otter Latté
slainte39
RoamingPanda
12 posters

Go down

Reliability of internet Empty Reliability of internet

Post by RoamingPanda Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:48 pm

My wife and I are considering spending a few months in the Lake Chapala area. We both work online (as a writing instructor and speech therapist) and need relatively fast, reliable internet for our jobs. I see many posts here about problems with the internet. Is fast, reliable internet available in the area? How fast are the best download and upload speeds? Are there particular internet providers we should be looking for? Any insight would be appreciated.

RoamingPanda

Back to top Go down

Reliability of internet Empty Re: Reliability of internet

Post by slainte39 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Probably all four or them to get what you want   Very Happy ...but I'll let the experts answer your questions,

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 pm

When I had Telecable the speed was great but it frequently went down and sometimes for the whole day or several days. I now have TelMex and it is very reliable--but the speed sucks. It is slow at best and painfully so too often. People I know who NEED reliable service and speed have both. They use Telecable and depend on TelMex for backup when it is down.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:39 pm

depends where you are going to live will determine this. some areas are ok others not so.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 am

Since internet will be an important issue for you, I'd base that on my search for areas to live that have better internet. We live in Riberas and "live" on the internet but for fun, research, etc. We have Telmex (middle package) and Telecable. Generally, both aren't out at the same time. Telecable is fairly reliable; Telmex can be spotty for us but seems to have a longer range.
Good luck in your search; living here is great.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:18 am

I have both. I have decent speed Telecable 8.5 down and Telmex .8 down. Frankly no doubt Telecable is less reliable than Telmex. I could get faster Telmex 2.0 down but I want the service to work in the rain as a backup and I am so far from the Telmex switch
that I don't want to touch it as it works well slow but well. Telmex goes down once in a while but seems to come back faster. Have both if you can afford it. As eagles said they don't both seem to be out at the same time unless it is a big pipe problem than both
are down. I live north of Sky Gym in Ajijic.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 am

I live one Km from Telemex, pay $599 for my internet and phone service and almost never have any downtime. I get the speed I pay for. It almost always a few % points of what I just got

Reliability of internet 3378906770
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:08 am

I recently experienced a major slowdown on my TelMex internet for no apparent reason. I have the minimum package, which has always been adequate, but gradually had dropped to speeds like yours, Zed, .8 down and thereabouts.

I went through the channels, called 800 # multiple times and got 2 work orders "guaranteed" to be fixed in 72 hours. Didn't happen. Finally went to TM to talk to the guy that has saved me in the past and told him my story. He said, let me see if I can fix it from here, give it a couple of hours and it should be fixed by this afternoon. By the time I got home I was back up to 2 or 1.91 or so down again.

This guy has been a very good problem solver for me in the past and he did it again! He's the first guy at the desks, the man with the curly hair, sorry I don't know his name. He even called me to see if it worked.

So, Zed, it's possible he can bump up your TelMex to 2 down like you should be getting. Point 8 is like dialup.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by elehne1 Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 am

We have lived in Jocotepec since January 2011 and had Telmex originally, however, switched to Telecable after our six month commitment. Telecable has improved their network over the past few years in our area and we now have 10 down and 1.5 up and they are much more reliable for us than Telmex. They have a 15 down available as well, however, 10 is fine for us.

elehne1
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:46 am

I just tested my telmex and got 5.15 down and 0.61 up.
This is great, as I only pay for 3.0.
I live in Los Sabinos.  Beer 
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I recently experienced a major slowdown on my TelMex internet for no apparent reason.  I have the minimum package, which has always been adequate, but gradually had dropped to speeds like yours, Zed, .8 down and thereabouts.

I went through the channels, called 800 # multiple times and got 2 work orders "guaranteed" to be fixed in 72 hours.  Didn't happen.  Finally went to TM to talk to the guy that has saved me in the past and told him my story.  He said, let me see if I can fix it from here, give it a couple of hours and it should be fixed by this afternoon.  By the time I got home I was back up to 2 or 1.91 or so down again.

This guy has been a very good problem solver for me in the past and he did it again!  He's the first guy at the desks, the man with the curly hair, sorry I don't know his name.  He even called me to see if it worked.  

So, Zed, it's possible he can bump up your TelMex to 2 down like you should be getting.  Point 8 is like dialup.  

Yes that's how I know I can have two but for a backup line reliability is more important than speed. If you run your line to the max it tends to
be more likely to not work in rain. There is a reason you always see the Telmex boxes open after a rain cause its wet in there. FYI .8 is gobs
faster than old modems. We are spoiled today.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Zed, I think we are  "SPOILED" if we receive more than we pay for.  In most cases Telmex has failed to keep their outside plant updated and properly maintained to an industry standard...... scratch Assuming there is one in Jalisco.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:18 pm

RoamingPanda wrote:My wife and I are considering spending a few months in the Lake Chapala area. We both work online (as a writing instructor and speech therapist) and need relatively fast, reliable internet for our jobs. I see many posts here about problems with the internet. Is fast, reliable internet available in the area? How fast are the best download and upload speeds? Are there particular internet providers we should be looking for? Any insight would be appreciated.

How many gigs' do you use/need per month?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Telmex DSL Internet 3, 5, 10 Speeds  Three basic bundles. Hardwired Local phone, Internet,
 Phone plan. Can Add Mexican Sat. Dish service for additional fees.

Telecable  Cable Internet 5, 8, 10, 15 speeds (?? not sure on middle)Virtual Local phone
through cable, Basic Cable Analog TV, Internet. Can Add Digital Cable TV with Box lease
and additional service fees.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Jim W wrote:Zed, I think we are  "SPOILED" if we receive more than we pay for.  In most cases Telmex has failed to keep their outside plant updated and properly maintained to an industry standard...... scratch  Assuming there is one in Jalisco.

Yep but it is getting better. Two of the big cable companies are merging and I bet we get upgraded at some point as they are putting some
large cables around town. Guad. has some higher speed areas running now.  I am hopeful for the future. They want our money and someone will blink and upgrade eventually. I think it will be cable unless they make the DSL lines run faster farther away from the switch which is my
problem. I am not that far from downtown. Lots of folks in same boat in Ajijic.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down