INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lakeside Crime

+7
Lehrer
Demonio
bimini6
David
johninajijic
Carry Bean
simpsca
11 posters

Go down

Lakeside Crime Empty Lakeside Crime

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:57 pm

I set my burglar alarm when I went out today and my gardener was still working in the yard. As I left I told him "don't forget to clean the leaves off the roof". When I got home I noticed the roof alarm had been set off - DUH! I know not to set it when he is working there but was nervous and forgot. I apologized and told him I knew someone who had been robbed and murdered and another couple - one in a wheel chair robbed at gunpoint and that because I was nervous I had set the alarm. He said he read about the murder in the newspaper and he understood.

He told me "we are all frightened". He said he is afraid to walk on the carraterra. Then he told me that two Oxxo stores had been robbed on the carraterra in the past week I believe.

Nervous Nelly Dead Horse
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Lakeside Crime Empty Re: Lakeside Crime

Post by Carry Bean Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 pm

The only burglar alarm I have is my dogs and so far they get set off if my neighbor dares to go on her mirador. Very Happy

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 pm

simpsca - Two OXXO's robbed??? That's how rumors get started. Until you read it in the newspaper, it's not true. Your gardener afraid to walk the Carretera? It's safer than in the US.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:01 am

If you don't see it in the paper that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's better to read the Mexican press, there's more info there.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:50 am

johninajijic wrote:simpsca - Two OXXO's robbed??? That's how rumors get started. Until you read it in the newspaper, it's not true. Your gardener afraid to walk the Carretera? It's safer than in the US.

I am telling you what my Mexican gardener told me. I think they often have more information than we do. All information we receive is probably somewhat distorted and not completely accurate. But I feel the more information we have the better. Inaccuracies can be corrected. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time cannot.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am

Well said Simpsca. Better to be informed and aware of your surroundings. Very Happy

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:53 am

Wonder how long it'll take a certain poster (the one with his head buried six feet under) to throw a hissy fit like he did on Mecconnect the other day when he was exposed on a similar topic?
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Edited by Dawg in the interest of civility. Replaced by later comment.

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Bubba, whats a sycophant?????
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 pm

I am glad I read John's post before it was nuked...And I just thought pixels were forever.... lol! I guess he didn't get the memo...So just for John....

These are the board rules
by Admin on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm

1) No personal attacks (other than in the Octagon). Even then try to keep it above the belt. If you have something nasty to say send a PM to the person as the rest of us probably don't want to see it. Topics that turn nasty or offensive outside the Octagon will be deleted, edited or moved to the Octagon.

2) Please keep the swearing to a minimum outside the Octagon.

3) Lets avoid politics or religion outside the Octagon.

4) Be nice to the newbies. They are the lifeblood of our forum.

5) Try to stay on topic. If you have something to add that isn't relative to the topic then start a new one. If you want to just chat with the poster then send them a PM.

6) Be Warned - Unless you have a thick skin I suggest avoiding arguments within the Octagon. It gets very nasty in there.

That's it. Enjoy

Re: These are the board rules
by CanuckBob on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 am

Hello all, as many perfectly good posts are getting ruined by swearing or personal attacks we are going to start enforcing the rules as set out above. I hope you understand.

Bob

New Rules...
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Thank you Bob. It was getting difficult to read what should be just regular posts. And I was concerned that some of the new members were being scared off.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 am

I would like to make a comment on the notion, as stated by another poster on this thread that, "...Until you read it in the newspaper, its not true...." regarding crime in Mexico. I comment, not to criticise the poster who made this remark but to give another perspective from one who has lived both here and in Chiapas for some ten years and four years respectively. We learn a great deal more about criminal and other activities in both Ajijic and San Cristóbal from Mexican acquaintances attuned to the communities than we ever learn from newspapers either in Jalisco or Chiapas. Time and experience has taught us who and what to believe and we always take street scuttlebutt with a grain of salt as is appropriate. In San Cristóbal, most community news is broadcast on local radio in Spanish or in one of a number of indigenous languages and crimes in the community rarely make the local newspaper at all and never the national press. As a consequence, one would hardly imagine just how violent Chiapas is, especially in rural indigenous areas all over the state but, seemingly even more so in regions adjacent to the border with Guatemala. In both communities , we are more attuned to what we call the community "tom toms" and we hear of much crime that takes place in thiese communities that is rarely mentioned in newspapers. Please don´t believe the canard that if it ain´t in the newspaper it never happened. That is a perilous notion and could lead to undue complacency.

Dead Horse

Last edited by hound dog on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:46 am

I agree with hound dog. The community "tom-toms" are very important to listen to. Think about life in the U.S. In the U.S. city and suburban neighborhoods, there are many crimes that happen that are never in the paper, including violent crimes, child kidnapping attempts, robberies, & burglaries. In Mexico, it is a beautiful thing that expats and Mexicanos have a tom-tom system to communicate about what's happening.

QUESTION FOR SIMSCA: Did your gardener say why he is afraid to walk the carratera? I would be interested in more details as to why.
Thanks.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am

No he did not say why he is afraid to walk on the carraterra but right after he said that he told me about the two robberies at Oxxo "On the carraterra".

But there is another reason to be afraid here in San Juan Cosala. A few weeks ago a NOB was riding his bicycle on the Carr. in this area. He stopped on the side of the road to talk to someone and a truck passed another truck on the right and hit him (standing on the side of the carr.). Augustine, owner of Viva Mexico got to him first and got help - don't know all the details, but I met the man in Augustine's restaurant yesterday. He had just had heart surgery before being hit by the truck, so amazing he survived. Wife said blood was everywhere, but no broken bones.

So I don't know why my gardener is afraid - being shot? or being hit by a truck? We did discuss pistolas.

Last edited by simpsca on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:46 pm

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I will ask him next week (if I can remember:)
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down