INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lakeside Crime link not working

+6
Carry Bean
Zedinmexico
albertrv
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
simpsca
10 posters

Go down

Lakeside Crime link not working Empty Lakeside Crime link not working

Post by simpsca Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Does anyone know why the link (upper right of this page) to the Lakeside Crime site is not working?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Lakeside Crime link not working Empty Re: Lakeside Crime link not working

Post by CanuckBob Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:45 am

They either have server problems, have shut down or have changed their web address again......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 am

Someone posted on the other board that it is shut down.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:10 am

We heard it was a private server crash and replacement was in the works.

What I find shocking is that in this day and age someone would have their own server at home. Purchasing wholesale server space is way to cheap to risk customer data on a home based system. The servers we use have a 99.99% up time which is great. But more important is that they have the ability to transfer a site to a new server if need be, using their own backups. There is no reason to be down for more than an hour or so.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.lagunachapala.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:41 am

Try it again. It should be fixed.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 am

I sure liked the previous format better than this one. Too much clicking around. The previous owners made it very simple to find all the info. I'm still glad there is a site for this though.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 am

noticed today that they are asking 16,000 pesos donations (see below) - Huh? Cost for one year to host on godaddy is 900 pesos for a recent domain to include all needed software. Don't know how you get from 900 pesos to 16,000 unless you are including the cost of a really nice new computer...........

>>>>>>>>>>>>Sorry about the inconvenience folks, our server crashed during the high winds and storm on August 2nd. We have been scrambling since then to attain funds for a new web server. We were finally able to borrow the funds; however, now we have to start repaying them. In total we have spent $16,000 pesos to get back on-line. Any donation, no matter how big or small will be appreciated to help payback the cost of the new server. To make a donation, click the donate button to the right to get to the secure PayPal page for donations.
(You do not have to have a PayPal account to use it) >>>>>>>>>>
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 am

As a non-profit website we had offered them free web hosting, which they turned down. Their only cost would have been the domain at just under 10 bucks a year. Even if they paid full pop for hosting with us that would only be 4.95/mo based on a 12 month period. (sorry, i didn't feel like converting to pesos. Not enough caffeine yet.)

The 16,000 they are looking for sounds more like a fancy personal computer. A full blown server is going to cost a lot more than that. A Local server is going to need a lot of bandwidth, such as a T-1 or higher incoming line. If I was to have a server setup it sure wouldn't be for one non-profit website therefore I have to presume they have other paying customers. Who should be footing the bill. Another thought is that a wind storm should not take a server out if its set up property. Obviously there was no battery backup and shutdown software in place. Sure if the power stay out for a long period of time the site would be down, but only for that period after which it could be booted.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:26 pm

albertrv wrote:As a non-profit website we had offered them free web hosting, which they turned down. Their only cost would have been the domain at just under 10 bucks a year. Even if they paid full pop for hosting with us that would only be 4.95/mo based on a 12 month period. (sorry, i didn't feel like converting to pesos. Not enough caffeine yet.)

The 16,000 they are looking for sounds more like a fancy personal computer. A full blown server is going to cost a lot more than that. A Local server is going to need a lot of bandwidth, such as a T-1 or higher incoming line. If I was to have a server setup it sure wouldn't be for one non-profit website therefore I have to presume they have other paying customers. Who should be footing the bill. Another thought is that a wind storm should not take a server out if its set up property. Obviously there was no battery backup and shutdown software in place. Sure if the power stay out for a long period of time the site would be down, but only for that period after which it could be booted.
the new lakesidecrimetracker site denies that you made this offer to them - said you made it to the previous lakesidecrime.com - can you clarify......
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:55 pm

First you are correct that free hosting was made to the old website, more than once if my memory still works.

But on July 12th and email was sent to the the new crime site. This was a request asking permission to be allowed to embed lakeside crime tracker in our website to to help drive traffic their way. In addition to this we set up a free business listing in our directory and offered them free advertising as well. This email was never responded to which I did find a bit rude, but what the heck. The offer still stands. Below you will find a cut and paste of our email showing date and who it went to.

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:27 PM
To: 'info@lakesidecrimetracker.com'
Subject: About your website!

Hello... I am the Admin for Lagunachapala.com (The LCDC Network), and we have had lakesidecrimewatch.com site on ours via permission with the owners/operators of the site. I have noticed that the site was down, and I believe that this is the NEW site of the site mentioned, and we have updated our links. If this is fine with you, we will continue as before... Let us know of any issues.

Also, we have updated our business listing (it's free!) of your site with the new site URL and email of info@lakesidecrimetracker.com.

We notice that google search brings our business listing of your site a lot on the first page, and we get several hits a day via that google search with any or all of the keywords "Lakeside Chapala Crime Watch". We also have a Charity/Non-Profit movement where we offer local organizations of Non-profit a FREE "text-style" advertisement on Lagunachapala.com... Let us know.. we can set it up for you! It would allow you to change the ad at any time, so you could be updating announcements and drive fresh traffic to your site.

On another note, LCDC is affiliated with Monarch Hosting Services (a locally-owned hosting company) that offers FREE website HOSTING for charity and non-profit organizations of the area.

Get back to us and let us help!
Thank you!
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:03 pm

oh!

and you can copy/paste any of my previous post to whomever is claiming that we have not offered any of our charitable services to lakesidecrimeTRACKER.com... (as you can see by the to: line)
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:07 pm

albertrv wrote:First you are correct that free hosting was made to the old website, more than once if my memory still works.

But on July 12th and email was sent to the the new crime site. This was a request asking permission to be allowed to embed lakeside crime tracker in our website to to help drive traffic their way. In addition to this we set up a free business listing in our directory and offered them free advertising as well. This email was never responded to which I did find a bit rude, but what the heck. The offer still stands. Below you will find a cut and paste of our email showing date and who it went to.

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:27 PM
To: 'info@lakesidecrimetracker.com'
Subject: About your website!

Hello... I am the Admin for Lagunachapala.com (The LCDC Network), and we have had lakesidecrimewatch.com site on ours via permission with the owners/operators of the site. I have noticed that the site was down, and I believe that this is the NEW site of the site mentioned, and we have updated our links. If this is fine with you, we will continue as before... Let us know of any issues.

Also, we have updated our business listing (it's free!) of your site with the new site URL and email of info@lakesidecrimetracker.com.

We notice that google search brings our business listing of your site a lot on the first page, and we get several hits a day via that google search with any or all of the keywords "Lakeside Chapala Crime Watch". We also have a Charity/Non-Profit movement where we offer local organizations of Non-profit a FREE "text-style" advertisement on Lagunachapala.com... Let us know.. we can set it up for you! It would allow you to change the ad at any time, so you could be updating announcements and drive fresh traffic to your site.

On another note, LCDC is affiliated with Monarch Hosting Services (a locally-owned hosting company) that offers FREE website HOSTING for charity and non-profit organizations of the area.

Get back to us and let us help!
Thank you!
thanks for the update - yes - I heard that you did make that offer - the difference is - I don't think the original lakeside crime ever asked for donations - and the new guy is asking for 16,000 pesos to keep the site going (when the actual cost could be 900 pesos or less) = be interesting to see how this plays out. And yes, at least one other commented on a lack of reply to an email so don't take it personally.
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Albert, you are one of the good guys. Thanks for all of your great work. Even if you live on the other side of the lake. Only kidding. It's beautiful over there and in some places you get much more rain than us in Ajijic.

Changing the subject, I remember your struggles trying to get internet years ago when you contacted Lagunanet amoung others (I used to give tech support there).

What are you using for internet these days on your side of the lake in your general area?
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:30 pm

You are 100% right that the old site never has asked for money from anyone. When my email was sent the new site had not asked for any money either. Your point got me thinking and I guess if they are asking for money it becomes a fine line as their server has commercial interests. You make a good point and I would have to look closely should they ask for free hosting.
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by albertrv Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks Pete. We have always tried to be a part of the community... All of it including the south shore.

We are using the Iusacell 4G modem and its working out great for us. Great, but we were lucky as it doesn't always work for everyone. It is receiving from the towers on the north shore and what seems be happening is sites that are too close to lake level seem to have problems. I'm thinking skip or something. For us we seem to get about 3 Gb down and 1 GB up at mimimum. It's not perfect but way better than our previous choice which was Hughesnet. Our only problem is that we have to watch our usage as our plan is 10GB/month and Iusacell counts both down and up load usage.

One day we want to have a weather station over on this side of the lake so we can prove to you guys that you get more rain on that side. Very Happy One day when funds allow it I guess. I guess this isn't a good time to ask for donations, is it.... lol!
albertrv
albertrv
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 pm

It would seem to me that this new site is looking to raise funds to pay for a new computer. Those that want this service should buck up otherwise not bitch if they shut it down. Personally I get all the information I need off this (and other) local forums.......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:27 am

Given this latest development, I have to wonder just how a certain forum member feels about their decision to back this particular party in obtaining the site versus the other interested party. Starting to appear like the wrong candidate was chosen because of politics and meddling?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:04 pm

I guess this is where we start to excoriate the volunteers who have taken on the thankless and possibly dangerous task of tracking crime here. YOU could have done it better! THEY could have selected a better way to host it! THEY should have done it your way!

SURE, armchair quarterbacks, YOU might have done it better, but you didn't. THEY are the ones who stepped up to the plate and for that they are to be commended. Just click the damn "DONATE" button and be thankful that somebody is doing this: http://www.rtkenterprise.com/LakesideCrimeTracker/Donate.asp

Merry

p.s. I made a donation but the donation tracker did not tick up that amount. So hopefully they have received more to date than what it says on that page.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down