INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Travel Advice

5 posters

Go down

Need Travel Advice Empty Need Travel Advice

Post by Walter Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 pm

I have been spending time Lakeside for the last six years or so. Have driven a few times and flown a few times. This time I would like to bring my bus, towing an old army jeep.

I am considering a campground on Allen W. Lloyd Way, just across from El Parque. I have never seen anyone other than the owner parked there. The lot itself doesn't look overly secure. I have been burgled twice in Mexico. Just a bit edgy!

There is a lot south of the Carraterra, possibly on Independicia. On Google Earth it looks a bit shaky too.

Now, one big issue that I have is getting there. I will be travelling from Livingstone, TX (Just north of Houston), sometime in December. I have yet to make the trip without getting lost. Just my nature. Backing up is not an option. The rig is 37' plus toad. Guadalajara creates a problem every time, except the first time that I did it. This will be my first trip with GPS for Mexico. I have problems staying on the Cuota. Maybe GPS would help. It Is a free app on my cell, Navmii. Does anyone use it?

The posts about highwaymen don't really put me at ease either!

Well......input please.
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Need Travel Advice Empty Re: Need Travel Advice

Post by hockables Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:16 pm

I want ya ta know Itch.... if anything happens to you... I'll look after the dog.... Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:33 pm

That's very generous of you Hocks. *tear*

Oh wow Walter, I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving you advice, if something happened to you, I'd feel just terrible. It's a 50/50% chance...maybe if you crossed on Christmas or Easter, a holiday that surely all bad guys respect because they're home with their mother's?

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:02 pm

That puts my mind at ease Hocks. He is so scared of Mexico that he decided to stay in NB with Sweetpea. It's his job to keep the cat (17 lbs.) from bullying her. And they get along well. Also he is very racist.

CG, you are sure putting my mind at ease. I am by nature a bit paranoid to start with! I was thinking I would travel on a wknd.
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:10 pm

There is a very nice place to put your bus in San Antonio Tlayapacan. Grass, trees, septic and power all behind a fence with a locked gate and a covered BBQ area for all renters. Everybody's dogs run loose and get along. My housekeeper is getting the phone number now. I will PM you with it in a few minutes.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Gamina, what's the location?
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:16 pm

In San Antonio 1.5 blocks from the carretera. Down the road, Valesquez, beside Sunrise Restaurant.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Walter, you are a brave man. It is no small effort to move a rig like yours through Mexico. I pulled a 24 ft travel trailer from the border (all by my freaking self) to Chapala, then to Michoacan and then to barra de Navidad where it will hopefully rest for all eternity because I would rather do just about anything than move it again.
I screwed up so much on that Laredo to Guadalajara run, I don't know how I made it. It's really hard to watch the signs and the fools on the road with you at the same time.
I spent one night between the border and Guadalajara in a Pemex lot with a bunch of truckers. I felt very safe and the truckers were a hoot.

If you get into the Chapala area late and want to wait for daylight to park wherever you are going to park you can stop at Los Burritos de Moyahaua, there is a lot of space there and truckers park there overnight.
Good luck on your trip.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Tks. Gamina. Ms. You are thinking of someone else, I are a chicken shit. Driving it is no problem, I just point where I want to be, and everything else either follows or gets out of the way! Don't relish the idea of doing one of those other than quota roads again. It was hairy enough in a Land Rover!
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:58 pm

I just sent you a PM with info on the RV park.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm

With a Garmin with up-to-date files, you will have no problem with getting lost. It's all cuota with sort of decent signage. The tolls, with all those axles is going to be expensive so be prepared.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks Gamina. I found that park on Google Earth. It looks a whole lot more secure than the one by El Parque. I would be comfortable there. Now to get there from the border!
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 am

You might want to call Maria Elena right away to make reservations for a spot rather than wait til you get here.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down