INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flying dogs

4 posters

Go down

Flying dogs Empty Flying dogs

Post by Canada_Mike Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:58 pm

No, this is not a post about dogs with wings. I'm looking for advice on how to bring two dogs down to Guadalajara or Mexico City by air. One is small, shih tzu size, the other large, Bernese size.

Thx,

Canada Mike
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Flying dogs Empty Re: Flying dogs

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Mike, Check with your airline.  Some have limitations on the number of animals allowed on a flight.  Also, Your shih tzu might qualify for in cabin carry on.   Contrary to some posts about the dangers in shipping your pets outside the cabin it is safe.

We shipped our Moluccan Cockatoo from Portland Oregon to GDL...in a modified dog kennel...without incident in the cargo section.   Since she was a protected species, we had to get Mexican and USA approval, accompanied by CETES approval, for transport, she was the 1st off the plane.  

I think the best advise I would give anyone shipping pets, disregard what you read on a web board........contact your airline of choice so you have proper info....seems as though the rules change weekly, they will advise what documents are required.

Have a safe trip, Jim W Beer Beer

WELCOME TO THE BEST BOARD @ LAKESIDE!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Jim W wrote:I think the best advise I would give anyone shipping pets, disregard what you read on a web board........contact your airline of choice so you have proper info....

And that, in almost seven years of living here, is the best advice I've ever read on this topic.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Absolutely! I just wondered if anyone had luck flying with large dogs.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Mike, A friend of mine brought 2 Lab ra doodles Large dogs from Toronto direct to Mexico City, cleared customs, flew into GDL. Flight becomes domestic so you avoid the international entry to GDL.

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:
Jim W wrote:I think the best advise I would give anyone shipping pets, disregard what you read on a web board........contact your airline of choice so you have proper info....

And that, in almost seven years of living here, is the best advice I've ever read on this topic.

Thank You Rosa.   We all love our pets, and I for one am amazed at the posts on the subject.   When we brought our Moluccan Cockatoo down, we worked with Vern and Lori @ the Wildlife group, after talking to Jeffery.  He said no way, that I would be better off driving and smuggle a protected species into Mexico.   After meeting with Vern and Lori, we met with Semarnat, and got all the required papers to complete, then submitted to the USA Cetes and Mexican Semarnat.   We brought her in without incident.....with all proper documentation.

Once we had all approvals, paid for her ticket in cargo, Deb decided to make a dry run, without C2(Cockatoo)  Deb decided to make a dry run, went to the airport, and Mexicana advised her "BIRDS" were not approved for travel......the fight was on......Deb prevailed.....I'd been thrown in jail, LOL.   Finally all set and she shows up @ PDX on a Sunday night for a direct flight.   Customs/fish/game shows up and inspects the modified dog kennel, approves and charges her $100.00 USD for the service to cover there pay plus overtime as it was Sunday.   Gotta luv USG, LMAO.

Thankfully we did proper research, and were totally prepared.......side note, I helped a lady get her Amazon into Mexico.....her pet of 30 plus years. She took web board advice and got the bird to GDL without CETES documents.........fortunately Mexican customs allowed her to keep her pet.....however, they were on the next flight NOB. Beer Beer Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

thanks, all. Jim, our problem is not paper, it's the size of one our dogs. Soo the info about labradoodles is useful.

M
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Milena Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:17 pm

I highly recommend the site, dryfur.com as a very useful resource for planning a trip for pets. In particular, be very particular about the make and design of crate you use for air transport as some are notorious for falling apart mid-travel, especially with the added weight of a large breed dog that puts more stress on the frame and connections. The kind with plastic clamp-style latches can and will come open and the ones using cheap plastic threaded pins to hold the top & bottom together can also self-destruct, resulting in a pet on the loose, which sadly seldom has a happy ending. Better safe than sorry.

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks for that - makes sense.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down