INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going home

+15
slainte39
CanuckBob
gringal
Carry Bean
jrm30655
Canada_Mike
motherofburros
Zedinmexico
Ojalero
Playaboy
Luisa
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
David
hogline
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Going home Empty Going home

Post by hogline Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Do many people feel sad about leaving at this time of year? What if you are not quite ready to go back. Is it time to look for a yearly rental?

hogline

Back to top Go down

Going home Empty Re: Going home

Post by David Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:54 am

Those us that live here are glad to see you all come visit and happy to see you head home. YMMV
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 am

lolol David! You're so funny. And, truer words have NEVER been spoken.

Hogline, your question begs to be ripped to shreds. Just amble on back and all will be well. We'll leave the light on for 'ya.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:03 am

I have several friends who spend four, five or six months here. They are always sad as their time winds down. But they also are looking forward to seeing family, old friends and rejoining their NOB activities. None of them appear ready to pull the plug on either of their two lives.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am

We see that too with our snowbird friends both from Canada and the USA. Wishing safe travels to all!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:00 am

Just as snowbirds have mixed feelings about the season ending, so too do many of us full timers. As the season winds down and we say goodbye to people we so joyfully greeted a few months ago, there is some sadness. On the other hand there is a feeling of relief heading into low season. Things will settle into a less busy time of year. I had dinner the other night with a departing snow bird who said we here are always so busy. She had no idea that a significant portion of our busyness is the visitors who fill out the social calendar for up to half the year. I am looking forward to being less busy.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:09 am

I love many of my snowbird friends, but I prefer my life here when the vacationer population drops and we're left with the people who choose to live here fulltime.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:35 am

Their departure also heralds my least and most favorite times of year; the hot, dusty time followed by the glorious, green, dust-free rainy season!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 am

David wrote:Their departure also heralds my least and most favorite times of year;  the hot, dusty time followed by the glorious, green, dust-free rainy season!

I'm with you and both your posts.  There is a saying about buying a boat:  "Your second happiest day is the one when you bought it".  This applies to high season, too.

Now, if they could just finally fix that dang leak in our skylight before the glorious rainy season. This would be the sixth attempt.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:31 pm

I hope all those snowbirds spent enough money for the local business and residents to survive until next season.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Playaboy wrote:I hope all those snowbirds spent enough money for the local business and residents to survive until next season.  

Considering the gridlock, they supported the Pemex stations handsomely. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 pm

Going home Otherwise-youre-part-of-the-problem
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:23 am

We love them when they show up in the fall and we love them more when they leave in the spring. It is so nice to cross the highway without a five minute wait but I will miss them soon enough.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:11 am

Ojalero wrote:Going home Otherwise-youre-part-of-the-problem

Wow, that is deep!

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofburros Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 am

The short answer to this question is "no". If I wanted to live in Mexico full time, we would. We have the house. We have the income and I have the immigration status (permanente). People in this 'hood seem to love to patronize those of us who choose to return "home" after the winter season. So be it. For me, I love my home in Mexico, but not more than my home elsewhere. I choose my own lifestyle, as I expect do most of you. What's so hard to understand about that?

motherofburros

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:15 am

motherofburros wrote:The short answer to this question is "no".  If I wanted to live in Mexico full time, we would. We have the house. We have the income and I have the immigration status (permanente). People in this 'hood seem to love to patronize those of us who choose to return "home" after the winter season. So be it. For me, I love my home in Mexico, but not more than my home elsewhere. I choose my own lifestyle, as I expect do most of you. What's so hard to understand about that?

I think you're a lucky one. If we could afford to have a home on the Monterey Bay in CA and a home here in Mexico...and the means to support both along with the travel, we'd do it in a heartbeat! Being here in the winter months, and outta here from May through October........Perfect! Enjoy.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 am

Agreed. If we could afford to maintain a place in Vancouver, a place here and go back and forth we would do the same thing. However we can't so we chose to just be here and go back for short visits every year or so. We are fortunate that all our friends and family love to come down and visit every opportunity they get.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Mother, I did not read any of the posts as being patronizing about the dual life style and no one seemed unable to understand it. I am sorry you viewed them that way.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:39 pm

I think it is probably more about some of the FT people not liking the hit the infrastructure takes when the ex-pat population doubles for a few months every year.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think it is probably more about some of the FT people not liking the hit the infrastructure takes when the ex-pat population doubles for a few months every year.

The trouble is.....it's just too nice here in the winter! Rolling Eyes

I think Bob's right....all of a sudden, we year-rounders are inundated with traffic.  The carreterra, in an ideal world, would have at least 3 lanes and the stoplights would always be working.  This infrastructure is not set up to handle the situation, so it is what it is.  We drive at a crawl, and we are annoyed.  However, the most annoying thing of all is when some idjit in a long line that's going nowhere starts honking the horn! Twisted Evil

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Wow! You full-timers have been away too long. I know I'm asking to be smacked upside the head, but the longest it's ever taken me to get from Aquilles Serdan to Revolucion was less than 8 minutes, and that includes Semana Santa and tianguis day. And except for Adelita's Rib Night, I've been able to get into every resto I wanted to. If it's crowds you don't like, then the Tapatios on the weekend are much more a force than the snow birds (of which I am one,) though personally I love the malecon when families fill it up. I want to stay here one year all year, and hope it will happen, but grand kids, OHIP and other other obligations conspire to prevent it. Why not just enjoy the seasons?

And don't smack me too hard. I cry easy.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:01 pm

We do enjoy all the seasons, Mike. We just enjoy some parts of them less. If you have been here only during high season you don't know the things we are missing -- less traffic is one of them.
We do get spoiled though. I moved here from Southern California and sometimes have to laugh at myself complaining about "traffic," "too far to drive" and "crowded" restaurants. It's all about what you become accustomed to.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:09 pm

I actually like both seasons down here. I've already noticed that the activity has dropped off some.

In a few months, we can start the "First Snowbird Watch" again (Shorts, black socks, sandals).

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:17 pm

I wouldn't care to have a home anywhere else at all. I came from the Virgin Islands & the traffic there can be awful, especially on the day that 11 cruise ships came.

Nobody said anything nasty & some of us CAN afford two homes but choose not to. We're all not poor & stuck here because we can't afford to go elsewhere, motherofburros. So don't you patronize US.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:46 pm

We enjoy all 4 seasons here. No need to go NOB with all its craziness. It's all good here, some is better.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next