INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits???

+11
jrm30655
Ojalero
zenwoodle
Gamina
gringal
Trailrunner
Lady Otter Latté
viajero
Playaboy
CanuckBob
Zedinmexico
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits??? Empty Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits???

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Posted same on the other board

So lets have an serious conversation on Zika and the other problems that are in our local day dwelling mosquitos.

Fact: Our local day dwelling skeeter does have Dengue and probably will have Zika at some point unless something changes.

Fact: Lets talk about it now rather than later. Screens, Bug Zappers, Deet Whatever

The following is what I am thinking and what I have experienced and lets go and try to be civil please or I will never try this again.

The Zika pictures and information scare me. Seen the pictures of rash no less the babies in Brazil?? So I have very severe screens in house and don't worry as I live high on the hilll which has much less skeeters than lower Ajijic in my opinion. But I have no idea whether to bath myself in Deet (controversial insect repellant but effective???) when I go out. Should I get rid of my croc hunter shorts?? We were just in Jamaca and many of us got bit to death. Luckily I didn't. So why didn't I get bit but my wife had 30 bites and yes Zika is in Jamaca also on one of the major beaches. We had planned to go to that beach but cancelled. Think about what that means to the locals when we did not go and than the issue of who are exposed?? Not a pleasant topic for me as we avoided that beach on a planned trip feeling sorry but not guilty for running away.

I don't claim to be educated but I have read up on things. Yes I know we don't have a problem now but think for the purpose of the discussion that we do have Zika please. I really want to be prepared.

What do folks think???

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits??? Empty Re: Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits???

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 16, 2016 2:49 pm

I thought Zika was already here. Is it more prevelant and/or easier to contract than Dengue?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits??? Empty Re: Isn't it time to talk about Zika before it hits???

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Two cases in jalisco. Same skeeter as Dengue. Over 200 cases of Zika in south Mexico. I don't think they know but I don't know the answer to your question for sure.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Mon May 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Deet is your friend.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon May 16, 2016 3:41 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:Two cases in jalisco. 
Hmm,I don't think I'll get too worked up over this...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon May 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Really. I will take the same mosquito precautions as I always have. I just have so many s***s to give.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 pm

No, me either. Just my normal skeeter prevention.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Really. I will take the same mosquito precautions as I always have. I just have so many s***s to give.

HAHAHA Priorities.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon May 16, 2016 4:04 pm

For those who don't like to use DEET, there's "Fly-Out" which is Deet-free.
Available at Soriana; maybe others. It's effective on mosquitos.
Fans are good; interrupt flight pattern.

I am running out of sh-s to give, too.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon May 16, 2016 4:26 pm

I have been using Fly-Out since moving here 8 years ago. It works for me.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm not going to worry about it any more than I worry about getting Dengue........which isn't a whole lot. In certain parts of Canada there is a bit of an epidemic with Lyme disease from deer ticks. I didn't worry too much about that either.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm

I care not about Zika as it's symptoms are so mild and in my mid-60's not likely to get pregnant. I am concerned more about hemorrhagic Dengue, but not much more.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Mon May 16, 2016 7:38 pm

I'm more worried about Donald Trump. Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Ojalero Mon May 16, 2016 8:01 pm

zenwoodle wrote:I'm more worried about Donald Trump. Beer Beer

Oh no! I didn't know that he was at risk of infection.
Ojalero
Ojalero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Paraprosdokian

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 16, 2016 8:20 pm

I think he IS the infection!!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I think you're right!  Beer
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Wed May 18, 2016 7:49 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I'm not going to worry about it any more than I worry about getting Dengue........which isn't a whole lot. In certain parts of Canada there is a bit of an epidemic with Lyme disease from deer ticks. I didn't worry too much about that either.

Everything I do seems to kill me. Everything I eat is bad for me and if I go to a doctor, medical mistakes are third after heart disease and cancer.

I'm just amazed I've managed to live so long.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Unless you are pregnant the Zika is not as bad as dengue or chikungunya. We have the 3 of them in Chiapas and most people I know got dengue and or chikungunya recently There is a lot of warnings about zika for pregnant women but I do not know anyone yet who got it.. It seems that right now amongst my friends chickungunya is the most prevalent, at least here.. statistic may not agree but that is what I hear from my friends.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by indijones Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 pm

A specific amount of garlic in your diet will keep mosquitos from bitting you.

Many years ago i decided i would not travel to brazil, i had learned that everyone in brazil had a virus in their blood stream that came from animal feces. I believe it was around 2005 when i was informed if this issue.

indijones

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed May 18, 2016 10:48 pm

I eat a huge amount of garlic and it has zero effect on the mosquitoes..they still bite me.maybe less that if I did not eat garlic bit I sure would not trust garlic to protect me from mosquitoes..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu May 19, 2016 12:39 pm

It is not ourselves we should worry about as Zika approaches, but the next generation of helpless microcephalic children and the huge burden they will have upon not just the families, but upon society and the economy.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sciman Tue May 24, 2016 7:10 pm

An interesting article in Mexico Daily News that you all might have seen or be interested in. See the link below. Towns in Guerrero with bad dengue infestations last year got together in the face of the zika threat and did something. They posted a successful "gofundme.com" campaign to pay for bikes, computers, supplies for two guys to make and maintain (weekly cleaning) 400 mosquito traps made or rubber tires. The bait and design come from a Canadian prof and are said to be 7x more effective than traditional ones.

http://bit.ly/1XSXNVK
sciman
sciman

Humor : great humor;-)

http://www.steveiman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue May 24, 2016 7:53 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:It is not ourselves we should worry about as Zika approaches, but the next generation of helpless microcephalic children and the huge burden they will have upon not just the families, but upon society and the economy.

And, when you say we "should worry about" this what do you mean? How should we worry about it? And what priority should we give it in the list of all the other things we should worry about? If we each spend all day worrying about these things will that help one little bit? I want to know because if worrying about things helps solve the world's problems I am going to begin worrying right now.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 pm

RV I think a lot of us have reach an age where we cannot worry too much about the future. Plagues have come and gone over the centuries and this too will pass.
I am more worried about the dengue or the chikugunya that can make me pretty sick and is pretty painful from wha I have seen and heard from friends.
We can use deet if we are afraid and hope for the best.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Wed May 25, 2016 10:53 am

My point is: Do everything you can to reduce the mosquito population wherever you can. A drop of oil in standing water breeding locations will kill the larvae. Eliminating all standing water on your own property is a start. Is your tinaco mosquito-proof? Do you allow water to stand in trays under flower pots? DO you empty your rain gauge?
Those are just a few thoughts of things to do. Worry is unproductive if it does not result in action; even at our age.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next