INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status

+13
MexicoPete
RVGRINGO
brigitte
Smartalex
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
suegarn
gringal
gvprod
Zedinmexico
Trailrunner
shana
CanuckBob
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status Empty Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:23 am

Wow, if this comes to fruition we could see some real improvements to the roads and infrastructure in Ajijic.

http://www.theguadalajarareporter.com/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/48399-ajijic-makes-the-grade-for-magic-spell
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status Empty Re: Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status

Post by shana Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:35 pm

If it should be approved with all the money it would bring, good luck to any money resulting in a very small trickle down to Ajijic. Dream on.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status Empty Re: Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:00 pm

I suppose that is why a "citizen led oversight committee" is required as per the article.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Totally agree vwith Shana.
Depends on who the "citizen led oversight committee" consists of!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:03 am

Well if they are looking for any token gringos I will throw my hat in the ring. I think having this designation and accompanying improvements would be awesome for Ajijic.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:59 am

I would vote for you to be on it.
Problem would be frustration regarding transparency, or the lack of, for any 'oversight' committee. But that would be your frustration, not mine as I wouldn't have a lot of expectation. What would we do with the traffic and influx of tourists?
I recently visited a few Pueblos Magicos and they were all clean and tidy, cute, well-repaired, and boasted some kind of outstanding feature they were known for. What would be Ajijic's?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:02 am

You do lose some control to get the money. I agree with Bob but its not a free lunch. " Oh lord the gbment inspectors are here". Sign management is one that can get wierd. You know kickback will come from the don't change anything folks both foreign and mexican. Seen very nice magic villages and seen bad ones that the nicest thing was the sign going into the village (Lake Balacar near Chetamul).

So what makes a nice Pueblo Magico and what makes a bad one?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:38 pm

As I recall when Hector was the Delegado for Ajijic he wanted to make Ajijic a Pueblo Magico and could not even get a look see when the paper work was submitted. It didn't fit the requirements.
I am getting old so my memory could be off.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:26 pm

@Shana, you are correct. But now Chapala is behind the movement.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I would vote for you to be on it.
Problem would be frustration regarding transparency, or the lack of, for any 'oversight' committee. But that would be your frustration, not mine as I wouldn't have a lot of expectation. What would we do with the traffic and influx of tourists?
I recently visited a few Pueblos Magicos and they were all clean and tidy, cute, well-repaired, and boasted some kind of outstanding feature they were known for. What would be Ajijic's?

Clean, tidy and/or cute it is not. Outstanding feature? Starting at the Walmart intersection, do we see anything whatsoever that's Puebla Magica material? What are they thinking?

Sure, it would be nice to get funds, but comparing it to other Magica towns is a tough call. I'm not holding my breath.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Walmart is in SAT. I think Ajijic has more to offer than Mazamitla. Put in some of those nice flagstone streets, paint the buildings that need painting, tear down the (never to be finished) Tequila Republic, repair all the sidewalks, keep the beach front nice and tidy.......etc, etc.

Ajijic is already a place that is on many people's radar both domestically and NOB. Many of the current PM's are not.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:07 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Walmart is in SAT. I think Ajijic has more to offer than Mazamitla. Put in some of those nice flagstone streets, paint the buildings that need painting, tear down the (never to be finished) Tequila Republic, repair all the sidewalks, keep the beach front nice and tidy.......etc, etc.

Ajijic is already a place that is on many people's radar both domestically and NOB. Many of the current PM's are not.

Paint ALL the buildings that need painting? We don't have enough paint in Ajijic to do that.....lol! But luckily, there are many beautifully painted buildings in Ajijic, so it makes it easier to overlook the shabby ones. And I agree with you about tearing down the old Tequila Republic building....always going to be an eyesore!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:43 pm

suegarn wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Walmart is in SAT. I think Ajijic has more to offer than Mazamitla. Put in some of those nice flagstone streets, paint the buildings that need painting, tear down the (never to be finished) Tequila Republic, repair all the sidewalks, keep the beach front nice and tidy.......etc, etc.

Paint ALL the buildings that need painting?  We don't have enough paint in Ajijic to do that.....lol!  But luckily, there are many beautifully painted buildings in Ajijic, so it makes it easier to overlook the shabby ones.  And I agree with you about tearing down the old Tequila Republic building....always going to be an eyesore!

Does anyone know what the status of the proposed new Tequila Republic building is now? I'd love to see it disappear.
Ajijic is one of those places that looks better when you get off the main road, which is something of an eyesore. From the Plaza on to the lake, it's nicer.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:57 pm

gvprod wrote:@Shana, you are correct. But now Chapala is behind the movement.
That does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Shana, you are not the only one not feeling all warm and fuzzy.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 pm

"Walmart is in SAT".
......as well the two malls just north of it on the Libramiento and the half dozen or so residential developments along same.
New hotel (if happens), also SAT.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:50 am

Here's the rule book for Pueblos Magicos.

http://www.elfuertepueblomagico.com/turismo/reglas_operacionpueblomagico.pdf

I don't see how Ajijic qualifies. However, you Ajijicatecos are welcome to it. I'm relieved that the local powers are not going to present Chapala for Pueblo Magico status. We got plenty of tourists already...don't need any more.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:52 am

I do not see how they qualify either but frankly what we think is irrelevant , it is an organization to promote tourism so I am sure rules are bent all the time.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 am

" Starting at the Walmart intersection, do we see anything whatsoever that's Puebla Magica material? What are they thinking? "

Just to nitpick a bit, doesn't Ajijic begin with La Floresta, just past that intersection?
If not, where does the Ajijic line lie?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:36 am

I think Ajijic lies between San Antonio Tlayacapan and La Canacita, as it has always done. If it were to become a Pueblo Magico, it might only do so because of the unique appearance of those on the streets and in the restaurants with particularly pale old skin, sandals and Bermuda shorts, all speaking a uniquely strange language for the area and being rather helpless in the local language or customs, to the point of being perpetually angry at all the normal people and their ways. It is the magic of the local weather that brought them here, but they forget that fact as they negotiate those mountainous cobbles obstructing their way and stuff their ears against the joyful sounds of others living a happy life and politely ignoring them.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:04 am

I'm assuming that was meant to be a humor piece, not a mean spirited put-down? Hard to tell. Suspect

Anyone who actually lives there knows that there are many (possibly the majority) expat residents of Ajijic who dress appropriately, behave themselves and interact politely with their Mexican neighbors. Some even speak the local alien tongue.

The question was simply:  where is the line between SAT and Ajijic?  Doesn't show on my map.  I am fairly sure that Walmart and the Laguna Mall are in SAT.

Last edited by gringal on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:05 am

gringal wrote:" Starting at the Walmart intersection, do we see anything whatsoever that's Puebla Magica material? What are they thinking? "

Just to nitpick a bit, doesn't Ajijic begin with La Floresta, just past that intersection?

I think you are correct for east boundary but going west, since there aren't any more delegations west of Ajijic to the Jocotepec line, that all that area would come under the purview of the Ajijic delegado.  The rules and restrictions of a Pueblo Magico  might only apply to a specified area of "El Centro".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:11 am

slainte39 wrote:
gringal wrote:" Starting at the Walmart intersection, do we see anything whatsoever that's Puebla Magica material? What are they thinking? "

I think you are correct for east boundary but going west, since there aren't any more delegations west of Ajijic to the Jocotepec line, that all that area would come under the purview of the Ajijic delegado.  The rules and restrictions of a Pueblo Magico  might only apply to a specified area of "El Centro".

I recollect about 7 years ago, a woman I knew was sold a house in one of those smaller developments west of Ajijic that the realtor presented as being part of Ajijic. Shortly after she moved there, she discovered a big Jocotepec sign over the highwy considerably East of her place. She also discovered that Realtors sometimes lie and the water source for their small development was a well on another parcel of land.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 am

lol What!?! Realtors lie? Noooo. hahahaha

My first house here was in Los Charales. No one could figure out if that was Ajijic or Joco, and that includes Telmex, CFE, or the gas guys. Most agreed it was the western boundary of Ajijic or the Muni of Chapala. Shortly after I moved from that house, they erected the Jocotepec Municipality sign which was a skosh east of Los Charales. End of argument.

I would bet the Librameinto is the eastern boundary of Ajijic.

PS: Funny post, RVG!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Ajijic vying for Pueblo Magico status Empty pueblo magico

Post by gvprod Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:36 pm

I wonder what the average everyday person thinks about this?
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next