INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP

+3
Jreboll
MexECO Tours
Clueless
7 posters

Go down

Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP Empty Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP

Post by Clueless Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP Empty Re: Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP

Post by Guest Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Are you sure the computer will be able to run Windows 7? Do you know the specs, if not how many years old is the computer?

Back to top Go down

Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP Empty Re: Looking for copy of Windows 7 to replace XP

Post by Clueless Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:00 am

It's an Optiplex Dell - Model 745 and it's got several years on it. I bought it fully refurbished and figure I have nada to lose by trying to put W7 on it. I can add some DDR2 memory if needed.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexECO Tours Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am

If you don't know how to use torrents then I would suggest one of the guys in Plaza de Tecnologia in GDL or probably one of the tianguis who sells dvds. A lot of them have software too. I have seen whole stalls of computer software in the Baratillo.

I have a copy of 7 but am in Melaque otherwise I would happily give you a copy.
MexECO Tours
MexECO Tours

http://www.mex-ecotours.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Sometimes the guys who fix computers will have copies and will upload it for a fee.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RicoSuave Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Paying a "fee" to a pirate? Try legal here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7&N=-1&isNodeId=1
RicoSuave
RicoSuave

Humor : Cerebral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:17 pm

The reason why I ask is because of the minimum requirements for Win 7 to run but moreover run well. (ie take less time to start than drink a cup of coffee) here are the specs needed minimum....
Windows 7 system requirements:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Most XP machines I've worked on has at most 256 or 512 Megs of Ram. If you have less Ram WIN 7 will not install.
If your not computer savvy here is a link to a free program to look at your specs.  http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Install and run it (it takes only a few minutes) then you can look to see if the machine can run WIN 7.

Back to top Go down

Post by papa chango Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:51 pm

I tried to install Windows 7 a few times. My problem was that I had enough RAM but the drivers were unavailable for Windows 7. No graphics driver which means I could not use HDMI. No sound driver so I couldn't hear anything. So I'm back on XP. The only reason I use my Vaio laptop is that I use it to view movies on my flat screen TV via HDMI.

papa chango
papa chango
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wit and sarcasm Cheech and Chong

http://lakechapalaexpat.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:35 pm

[quote="papa chango"]I tried to install Windows 7 a few times. My problem was that I had enough RAM but the drivers were unavailable for Windows 7.  No graphics driver which means I could not use HDMI. No sound driver so I couldn't hear anything. So I'm back on XP.  The only reason I use my Vaio laptop is that I use it to view movies on my  flat screen TV via HDMI.

[/quote]

You make a very good point! :-) Many drivers will not be compatible.

Back to top Go down

Post by sir Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Tech section?

sir

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:19 pm

If an XP machine still works well enough after SP3, that's

probably as good as it is going to get...XP was not secure

with only SP2 on the internet.

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:52 am

Can I get SP2 or more for XP? I just want it to be a backup'; surfing/email. open pdf,, etc. Don't need anything for gaming; multiple widows, streaming video, etc. Maybe watching youtube.

So maybe I'm better upping the RAM and calling it even.

That's it.

Thanks
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:37 am

[quote="Clueless"]Can I get SP2 or more for XP? I just want it to be a backup'; surfing/email. open pdf,, etc. Don't need anything for gaming; multiple widows, streaming video, etc. Maybe watching youtube.

So maybe I'm better upping the RAM and calling it even.

That's it.

Thanks[/quote]
Microsoft stopped updating XP over a year ago so i don't think you can get it from them. Most other download sites that have XP right now are ify in the trust department.
XP is a good OS for what it is. :-) If the only reason you wish to upgrade is for performance going to Win 7 (if was possible) would only slow down your computer.

One of the VERY BEST upgrades you can do to a computer is RAM it will speed you up a lot. If you run the Belarc (link I gave) you should be able to tell the max ram you can have installed. I bet it would cost you no more than 35 to 45 dollars to go to the max RAM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down