INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow season??

+12
brigitte
SunFan
Bubba2shoes
Rosa Venus
ferret
Carry Bean
gringal
Trailrunner
coffeeguy
Gamina
sm1mex
CanuckBob
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Slow season?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Slow season??

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:08 pm

It's inflation (workers pay also rises) and/or falling USD that will increase the rents (as currently calculated against USD) IMO. It is already happening. Mexican minimum wage is going up every year.

I haven't seen a $3000 peso a month place that I would live in yet. I'll have to check your place out TR.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:21 pm

CarryBean...YOU ROCK! And I can only hope that I'm there to witness the deed. At least we'll all be able to recommend a few good Dentists after the fact.
We can only hope that the unprepared ones don't buy so it will easy for them to leave when they come to the realization that this area is not for them.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I haven't seen a $3000 peso a month place that I would live in yet. I'll have to check your place out TR.

Anytime, CB! Mi casa, su casa.

I've been accused of being a NIMBY on this board, but that is not accurate. I'm not against foreigners moving here I'm against entitled, arrogant, dumb foreigners moving here. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Idea: How about one of the Facebook members on here checking out all the things people find lacking or downright objectionable around here and doing a public service by listing them for the people who think they want to move here?
Maybe that would slow 'em down. Or at least some of the ones TR is talking about.
NIMBYISM, to me, is people who found something good and now want to keep everyone else from having it. When a expat says they don't want any more "Gringos" moving here......that kind of says it all.
I'm all in favor of good, caring, open minded people moving into my area, whether they are coming from the U.S., Canada or parts unknown.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:01 pm

While Carry Bean without a doubt wins the prize for best comment I just wanted to say how much I appreciate all of your thoughtful posts on this thread. "Good, caring and open minded" very much describes all of you.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 pm

"Slow Season"? Not this year. We didn't even get a "shoulder season".
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Rosa, who is buying houses? Americans, Canadians, Mexicans. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 pm

People from the U.S. are buying. Mexicans also. Some Canadians.

(At least in our office that's how sales skew...depends on price/location/etc. And if you ask someone else at a diferent office, I'm sure you'll get a different answer.)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Here is a map from Everything Lake Chapala on Facebook showing where everyone who is a member there is from, both newbies and oldies.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2567981

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:04 pm

Bubba had noted the greatly increased traffic along The Carretera in Ajijic even in the so-called "slow season" so, to do our part to alleviate the problem, we took off last week for Chiapas where we live periodically as we do in Ajijic. In Ajijic, we need to motor about town to accomplish our commercially-oriented goals and I had taken to morning runs to the banks and commercial establishments before the traffic backed up in West Ajijic making those runs unpleasant. The nice thing about living in San Cristobal de Las Casa, Chiapas is that, despite often heavy traffic, one can get just about anywhere in Centro walking.or taking one of numerous really cheap taxis ($30 MXN anywhere in town - no meters and no cheating) for distant errands and heavy grocery shopping. We park our car in our garage and never use it in town taking it out for a ride only when we drive to the country or Tuxtla. If there is an influx of expats here, it's Central Americans, Mexicans or Europeans with only a small scattering of U.S. or Canadian expats - mostly seasonal. I'll be posting for the next few weeks from Chiapas on Southern Mexico
fom Oaxaca State to The Yucatan in the Southern Mexico section of this forum and welcome any of you interested in Southern Mexico to join me there. See you fellow Lakesiders in September.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:09 pm

The crappy traffic is certainly a good reason to live in el centro whether it be Ajijic, SAT, Chapala, San Cristibol or whichever burb you prefer. We rarely drive anywhere. The lake views up the hillsides are awesome but driving everywhere can be a biatch......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 am

Hey Bob

It's all relative.

I used to live in Toronto and Vancouver. Who can sweat a 15 minute commute to Paz after that? And good weather and friends to wave at along the way to boot.

Unlax. Chill.

LOL

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:02 am

Tis true. I just hate needing to jump in my car for a quick item or a cold brew. I always lived outside the city center in Vancouver and commuted everywhere however if I ever had to move back I would want to be right downtown now.

Prior to living here in centro we rented several houses that required the car.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am

CanuckBob wrote:The crappy traffic is certainly a good reason to live in el centro whether it be Ajijic, SAT, Chapala, San Cristibol or whichever burb you prefer. We rarely drive anywhere. The lake views up the hillsides are awesome but driving everywhere can be a biatch......

That's right, and the best thing is Ocampo/La Floresta/Ramon Corona can be used when traveling from eastern Riberas by Mom's all the way to the Ajijic Panteon without ever having to go up to the carretera. I use that way a lot!

And, of course, Sun Fan put it in perspective.

Additionally, I've been chatting with the woman who is afraid she won't find her favorite false eyelashes (a new complaint for me) here before moving here. She is sweet. She wants to move here because her husband in Mexican and they live in northern Michigan where the days are cold and short. Also she wants to move here because of the cost of living. She HAS been to Mexico in the past with her husband visiting family around Michoacan, and other inland areas. Those are her reasons for moving here. Did not mention the country, people, culture, history, food. . . It's interesting to talk to her. She is a retired cosmetologist and hopes she can find all her favorite cosmetics here. She's like a little window into this demographic of people moving here now. It's apparently all about cost of living and climate. I think half of these newbies won't make the five year mark.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:27 am

It is normal for people who have not lived in foreign countries to look for what they like or are used to, eventually she will find good eyelashes or order the ones ones she likes if they are not here ..It is a strange thing to look for when moving to Ajiic. but I am sure she will find plenty of false eyelashes in Guadaljara so all is not lost..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 am

Until her housekeeper beats them to death 'cuz she thinks they're spiders.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:32 am

Not driving is wonderful.. In San Cristobal I never drive..walk to where I am going and take cab .. it is a luxury unfortunately in Ajjic you have to drive to many places and cabs are just available easily.. I think that people living in SA are the ones with the best location if you do not want to drive..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gobluejohn Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:44 am

does anyone remember driving in LA, Boston, Philly, Denver, etc at rush hour, I do and this traffic is childs play IMHO
gobluejohn
gobluejohn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:45 am

ferret wrote:Until her housekeeper beats them to death 'cuz she thinks they're spiders.

That's quite a visual! Very Happy I'm the odd one out. I hate to walk anywhere. God made Henry Ford for a reason.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 am

Jajaja.......and that's why there are neighborhoods that suit everyone here.

The beautiful señoritas I see around here love to get dolled up so finding false eyelashes shouldn't be a problem at all. Even locally.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 am

Loved the "spiders"!

I've lived in the center of large cities as well as way the hell out of town, so when I started thinking about what kind of situation would be best for a person in their older years when walking 8 or 10 miles would probably not be an option.........I finally decided that right in the middle of a smallish town would be good. At that time, I was thinking about coastal towns in CA..........but life can bring surprises. It's getting a bit too busy lately, but the towns around Lake Chapala are just about right. Luckily, at least three good restaurants are an easy walk.

Driving around here isn't much of a pleasure, considering the state of traffic and the condition of the streets, but nothing's perfect.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:13 am

Gringal and CBob are in a great location for ease of downtown. That said, downtown Ajijic always feels kinda claustrophobic to me. Everybody's different.
I like West Ajijic but HATED the traffic since everything needed was east of me. Where I am now in Riberas is perfect. More elbow room and I fill my car up with 500 pesos worth of gas every six weeks.
There's a place for everyone... whatever turns your crank.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 am

Yeah, Ferret but keep those wild parties kinda quiet after midnight now that you're in my neighborhood. Beer

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

ferret wrote:Gringal and CBob are in a great location for ease of downtown. That said, downtown Ajijic always feels kinda claustrophobic to me. Everybody's different.
I like West Ajijic but HATED the traffic since everything needed was east of me. Where I am now in Riberas is perfect. More elbow room and I fill my car up with 500 pesos worth of gas every six weeks.
There's a place for everyone... whatever turns your crank.

I like my location, but very seldom go to downtown Ajijic itself. Too crowded, especially on weekends, so my perambulations are usually southward to the lake. I do like weekday lunches at the Jardin Plaza......people watching is always fun. Like almost everyone else, grocery and other shopping entails a jaunt in the car.
If you get out early enough, traffic isn't bad, but by noon........it's just awful these days.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:28 am

If I have to go to Walmart I go right when it opens at 8:00am or later at night around 8:00pm.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 am

Yes driving around Lakeside is childplay if you compare it to Guadalajara or any large city but it is not a large city..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next