INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puerto Rico Crisis

+13
martygraw
Trailrunner
sampati
ferret
MexicoPete
Lucky Girl
RVGRINGO
Jreboll
Chapalagringa
slainte39
Bubba2shoes
kiko
Flamingo
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Puerto Rico Crisis  Empty Puerto Rico Crisis

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 pm

I've been following David Begnaud on Facebook but for those without Facebook connection to the world try twitter

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/status/913088574983168000

3,000 shipping containers at the Puerto Rico port since Saturday!!  More coming and no trucks or drivers to get it out to the people!!!  In the states, trucks and drivers poured in from other states during Harvey and Irma, impossible on an island.  They're going to have to come from somewhere!

David Begnaud has been doing a great job getting answers.

https://www.facebook.com/David-Begnaud-108679513654/
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Puerto Rico Crisis  Empty Re: Puerto Rico Crisis

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

FEMA administrator, "not a Jones Act issue." What is happening in Puerto Rico is being directed by the governor of Puerto Rico. They have the fuel, the governor is the one limiting it.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5590526997001/?#sp=show-clips
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:13 pm

You guys are speaking nonsense. This boy grew up in hurricane country along the Alabama coast. Hurricanes destroy the infrastructure needed to get from where supplies are needed to ports of entry. Thr poor of Puerto Rico as in Alabama subsequent to a hurricane, cannot get to supply lines that simply exist iif at all and the.poorer and more remote they are the more difficulu it becomes. Does it occur to you folks that desperately poor hill folks in Puerto Rico cannot simply drive down the hill to San Juan like you might head for Safeway for an afternoons' shopping?

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Hopeful update on my friends, that the coastguard will rescue them in the morning.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 pm

In which sea are they stranded? Good luck to them.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 am

Chapalagringa wrote:FEMA administrator, "not a Jones Act issue."  What is happening in Puerto Rico is being directed by the governor of Puerto Rico.  They have the fuel, the governor is the one limiting it.

Darlin" Faux News is never an accurate source of news and information. Period. End of sentence.

As Bubba pointed out, there is no infrastructure. This is why we have an Army, Navy and Coast Guard. All we need now is someone at the top with enough concern to do something. Piling stuff on a dock isn't working, so go to Plan B. and Plan C.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:38 am

Flamingo wrote:
Chapalagringa wrote:FEMA administrator, "not a Jones Act issue."  What is happening in Puerto Rico is being directed by the governor of Puerto Rico.  They have the fuel, the governor is the one limiting it.

Darlin" Faux News is never an accurate source of news and information. Period. End of sentence.

As Bubba pointed out, there is no infrastructure. This is why we have an Army, Navy and Coast Guard. All we need now is someone at the top with enough concern to do something. Piling stuff on a dock isn't working, so go to Plan B. and Plan C.

Right on, Flamingo!!

Trouble is, he doesn't want to. Wants to abandon PR.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 am

Finally! Trump gets around to lifting the Jones Act at the specific request of the Governor of Puerto Rico. Better late than never I guess.
http://us.cnn.com/2017/09/28/politics/puerto-rico-governor-white-house-jones-act-waiver/index.html

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:26 am

I'm still reading the docks are full, no way to move goods inland to the people.

Maybe boots on the ground US military to distribute. Helicopter drops.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 am

Definitely helicopter drops or lowers are needed to get the goods where they need to go.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

The port at San Juan is almost full to capacity with containers of food, medicine and other supplies.
There are no available trucks with fuel and drivers to move them out of the port, which will soon be unable to accept more shiploads of supplies.
People cannot get to the port, or get access to the containers, and the containers cannot get to them.  Lack of communication means that many do not even know that the containers are there, and that the port cannot contact workers, etc.    Catch-22 and people are starting to die, according to today‘s news.
A military “invasion“ with heavy equipment, trucks, fuel tankers and troops will be the only hope; but, only if it happens immediately.
Even an evacuation attempt would be hampered by people not knowing that it was an available option.  I do suspect the government‘s motives.
Horrible!  Shamefully inept!  Soon, it will be “Too Little, Too Late!“

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 am

Flamingo wrote:

Now that you interpreted Bubba's message, I agree PR is a mess! We haven't gotten our friends rescued yet either.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:23 am

ferret wrote:Definitely helicopter drops or lowers are needed to get the goods where they need to go.

I couldn't agree more!!

It's incomprehensible that all of those supplies are sitting at the dock with no transportation to the people!!!

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am

This reporter David Begnaud, has gained the confidence of the governor and he has made a humanitarian difference.  

What is happening there on the island is so typical of how our lives are here trying to get things done.  Takes so long!  Too long!  We all will be thrilled to see military vehicles moving supplies.  

https://www.facebook.com/108679513654/videos/10155195779393655/
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:34 pm

In WWII, the US didn't drop supplies at the ports in France after D-Day and expect them to be miraculously transported to the front lines. They developed logistics for inland transportation on the ground.  Now 75 years later and the military can't figure that out???.....and they are not even under enemy fire and on a very small island.  Maybe the Commander-in-Chief should use his power to kick some asses.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Read that some of the hardest hit areas on the island, the mayors haven't even declared emergency.   Government on the island is disorganized.   Which has been my rant from the beginning.  Things should turn around since the governor finally made requests.

I also found this comment from a Puerto Rican interesting

"The local government is SLOWLY RELIEF DOWN because they do not know what they are doing !!!!

Man Trump had too overlook the 72 million dollars they are in debt with because they could not even pay for their half of the relief fund Texas could Florida could go Puerto Rico can't because they are 72 million dollars in debt !!!!"
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:02 pm

The US (Obama/Trump) has no problems gifting Israel (a country with Universal Healthcare for all) 38 Billion Dollars over the next 10 years but yet the US cannot respond rapidly to the humanitarian crisis in Puerto Rico? Foreign aid from the US today seems to be mostly military or law enforcement dollars. Remember Eisenhower said that the biggest threat to America was not communism but the military industrial complex. He hit the nail dead on.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:Read that some of the hardest hit areas on the island, the mayors haven't even declared emergency.   Government on the island is disorganized.   Which has been my rant from the beginning.  Things should turn around since the governor finally made requests.

"The local government is SLOWLY RELIEF DOWN  because they do not know what they are doing !!!!

Man Trump had too overlook the 72 million dollars they are in debt with because they could not even pay for their half of the relief fund Texas could Florida could go Puerto Rico can't because they are 72 million dollars in debt !!!!"

Sweetheart, think BILLION, not million.  If anyone should know the difference between a million and a billion, it would be you.
Comparing what small town Puerto Rican mayors can do without communication and transportation to the power of the US government and President is completely idiotic.  So Trump sat on his ass waiting for someone to shout HELP, loud enough for him to hear it in DC before he acted.  I have grand daughters in primaria that figured out help should have been sent immediately. Puerto Rico doesn't even have federal legislators to further their cause in DC.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:You guys are speaking nonsense.  This boy grew up in hurricane country along the Alabama coast. Hurricanes destroy the infrastructure needed to get from where supplies are needed to ports of entry.  

Very true, I was in Mobile Alabama when Katrina hit and prepared to travel to New Orleans the next day for work as a cat adj. We were held in Mobile for five days because there simply was no gasoline available on I10 from Alabama to Louisiana. After we arrived in New Orleans I did not see any Federal support as in military for two more weeks. Unless you have experienced a Cat 5 hurricane at ground zero you really have no idea at how the infrastructure has been demolished. No food, no gas, no cell phone service, no police, no ambulances, no doctors, the list goes on and on. Only the hum of generators day and night is consistent provided you can find gas to run them. Those in Puerto Rico are in far worse condition than those who have suffered from Hurricane Harvey.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 pm

I remember in the 60s when the federal highway between Mobile and New Orleans through Mississippi was totally destroyed and all of those extraordinary mansions on the Mississippi Gulf Coast were reduced to rubble. People who do not live in hurricane country have no idea what destruction hurricanes bring. I also lived in California formany years and experienced what earthquakes can do to unsettle the ground upon which you depend. I will telll you that, from having ñibed on the Alabama Gulf Coast and along the San Andeas rupture in California, God is in charge anvd you can kiss his ass.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Just got the great news that our friends were rescued by Med-evac! The one with medical emergency was taken directly to the hospital in NC! Husband had to stay back as there wasn't enough room but I believe he'll be able to fly out eventually!! Praise the Lord!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 am

slainte39 wrote:
Chapalagringa wrote:Read that some of the hardest hit areas on the island, the mayors haven't even declared emergency.   Government on the island is disorganized.   Which has been my rant from the beginning.  Things should turn around since the governor finally made requests.

"The local government is SLOWLY RELIEF DOWN  because they do not know what they are doing !!!!

Sweetheart, think BILLION, not million.  If anyone should know the difference between a million and a billion, it would be you.
Comparing what small town Puerto Rican mayors can do without communication and transportation to the power of the US government and President is completely idiotic.  So Trump sat on his ass waiting for someone to shout HELP, loud enough for him to hear it in DC before he acted.  I have grand daughters in primaria that figured out help should have been sent immediately. Puerto Rico doesn't even have federal legislators to further their cause in DC.

I was asking last week what Trump had against PR because I don't get it either.  Then I found out the aid was there, so was this a problem of the PR government?  Yes I think so. Others are entitled to their opinions. Also, no ome ever said he was perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I don't know the answer.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 am

kiko wrote:
Bubba2shoes wrote:You guys are speaking nonsense.  This boy grew up in hurricane country along the Alabama coast. Hurricanes destroy the infrastructure needed to get from where supplies are needed to ports of entry.  

Very true, I was in Mobile Alabama when Katrina hit and prepared to travel to New Orleans the next day for work as a cat adj.  We were held in Mobile for five days because there simply was no gasoline available on I10 from Alabama to Louisiana.  After we arrived in New Orleans I did not see any Federal support as in military for two more weeks.  Unless you have experienced a Cat 5 hurricane at ground zero you really have no idea at how the infrastructure has been demolished.  No food, no gas, no cell phone service, no police, no ambulances, no doctors, the list goes on and on.  Only the hum of generators day and night is consistent provided you can find gas to run them.  Those in Puerto Rico are in far worse condition than those who have suffered from Hurricane Harvey.

I think you're right
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 am

Yep. big problem because of those Puerto Ricans and their culture. They should have known better.  Everyone knows that Puerto Rican culture dictates that aid should not leave the ports.  The government reflects the culture.
Now are you happy?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sampati Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:41 am

What I don't understand is why there are no rescues by helicopter and why all of the correspondents who are reporting on satellite phones cannot get satellite phones delivered to them for distribution to the small communities who cannot communicate with San Juan. It would seem to me that communication with the remote areas that are being shown on national TV need a way to communicate where they are and who needs help, but then Sanjay Gupta says even the hospitals in San Juan have no satellite phones. I am not saying everyone in Puerto Rico needs a satellite phone but even just one in each community would be most helpful for the stranded people to be able to let their families know they are alive. Again, where are the helicopter rescues we saw in Texas? This situation is so heartbreaking.
sampati
sampati
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next