INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr!

+13
WillieRae
Canada_Mike
MexicoPete
Zea
cypress
David
gobluejohn
DaveP
Trailrunner
gringal
Cincy
slainte39
suegarn
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr! Empty Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr!

Post by suegarn Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm

As of 8:30 this evening, the temperature was 11 degrees Celsius. It's supposed to go down to 6 overnight! Brrrrrrr!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr! Empty Re: Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr!

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Better than -20 though.........and the brighter side is we know it won't last long.

Beer

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr! Empty Re: Temperatures in Ajijic going way down tonight.....brrrrr!

Post by slainte39 Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Just think about those 30+ days in May.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:04 am

I'm actually enjoying this cooler weather! For the first time in 18 months, since we moved down here, I'm thinking of wearing a sweater. What a novelty! But first I have to find my sweaters - they have never been unpacked!

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am

slainte39 wrote:Just think about those 30+ days in May.

I have been, Slainte. This morning I tugged up leggings under my flannel nightgown and put trousers over that. Then put on a thermal long-sleeved undershirt and heavy-weight hooded sweatshirt and fleece slippers just to go downstairs. I thought, “I can’t wait to be complaining about the heat in May!” flag waver
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am

Oh those 35 degree days in May that just sap your energy and make you toss and turn all night trying to sleep.  lol!

At least now, you can pull the covers up to your chin and not dare move  for fear of exposing some part of your anatomy to the elements.

The older you get, the less the range of tolerance for temperatures until the pine box. (happy thought)... Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Do we have cooling temps coming here?
Here is what's happening to me on a simple minded level:  We moved to Ajijic from San Miguel in late February of 2008.  We bought a very old casa with a working wood fireplace and no other heat source.  In 2009, we didn't need a fire until sometime after Christmas, and we used a half cord of wood.  The next year, we needed a fire earlier.

Fast forward to the winter of 2016, when we burned 6 and a half cords of wood, starting even earlier. This year, we used up the half cord already and just called Saul to bring another load.  I had to buy an electric heater to keep a small office room habitable during the day now. Tomorrow, I'm having a plumber install a gas heater in the central 'all purpose' room with the higher ceiling where I normally spend most of the day.  It used to be the central courtyard but was covered over sometime along the years.  The other ceilings are around 8 feet.

Go figure about what's happening.  Global cooling in some places with warming in others??  Or just a normal weather cycle.  I understand that Europe was freezing cold during the Middle Ages.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm

The longer you live in a warm climate the thinner your blood becomes so when it gets cold for a couple of weeks you really feel it. I have some friends here currently from the great white north traipsing around in shorts and t-shirts......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 pm

CanuckBob wrote:The longer you live in a warm climate the thinner your blood becomes so when it gets cold for a couple of weeks you really feel it. I have some friends here currently from the great white north traipsing around in shorts and t-shirts......

Granted about blood thinning, but you'd think that after all my years here it would have bottomed out. My jaws drop when I see those Canucks and their scanty outfits. Oy!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:24 pm

I wore shorts all winter for the first couple of years here too. Not any longer though.......

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 pm

And for some reason, you do feel the cold more when you get older.
Went to brunch a couple of Sundays ago with visiting friends. She had on a sleeveless cotton dress and bare feet in sandals... I had on corduroy pants, fuzzy socks with my sneakers, a t-shirt and a big fuzzy sweater over it. Made me colder just to look at her.
Yet I remember us, the first couple of winters in San Miguel, wearing shorts and sandals too and wondering why everyone local was all bundled up.
I think my personal thermometer is busted.
I'm putting in solar in January so I can have an electric heat producing wall fireplace. Those 20 pound propane tanks for the portable heater are getting heavier every year. I just filled one and it cost 180 pesos. Last January it was 135 pesos. If the sun can't warm me itself then I'm going to use it another way.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm sitting here with a long sleeve t-shirt and leggings, then sweatpants and a hoodie over top, along with socks and slippers. And I'm still cold!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Me too.
My phone says it's gonna be 45 tonight. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 am

Trailrunner wrote:Me too.

I see your phone is hooked up to mother nature . Can you give me her URL?
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by gobluejohn Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 am

my parents were snow birds 40 years ago, and when they visited me in the fall one year when I was still NOB, they said we gotta go it is cold. It was only 55 degrees, we grew up in near Detroit, in Michigan how could you be cold I asked, now I know after 8 years down here, we are freezing, except for the two propane heaters, now I know what they were talking about
gobluejohn
gobluejohn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 am

DaveP wrote:
Trailrunner wrote:Me too.

I see your phone is hooked up to mother nature . Can you give me her URL?

To reach Mother Nature: www.helpyouarekillingme.org  Or: #stopkillingme
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 am

This is what I did last night and it made an enormous difference... not sure it will work in really high ceiling houses though. Mine are 10 feet high and no bovedas.
I turned the switch on the fan in the kitchen and in the bedroom to reverse the blade rotation. That will kick the warm air off the ceiling (remember that hot air rises) and circulate the warm air. I had the portable propane heater going in the bedroom (before going to bed) and all four burners going on the stove. My house is pretty much open concept except for the bedroom and bathroom. We got amazingly warm very quickly compared with the last few nights. The bonus was that it was still reasonably warm in the house this morning (with no fans and no heaters/burners going overnight) and we're doing fine with just two burners on the stove going and the small kitchen fan going.

edited to add: After changing blade rotation, the fan should be on a lazy low speed.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 am

Great suggestion! I always turn our overhead fans on when our fireplaces are lit.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:00 pm

It has been cold. 10 or 11° near my house but 5° at the bottom of my property. It usually is colder in January. I have been using my space heater and oven.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zea Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm a big fan of filling socks with rice, then tying them off. Microwave them for a minute and you have the most wonderful handwarmers (or feet, or wherever). I keep meaning to sew nicer covers, but really, the socks work well.

Zea

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:31 am

Gosh Cypress. I live up high on the hill in Ajijic and it only went below 10 once, and then it only got down to 9 C. Right now, it its 14 outdoors and 20 indoors and I didn't use the fireplace last night. Oh its is 8:30 in the morning and last night, it might have been as low as 11 or 12 C last night

I hope that it gets warmer where you are. I know that I have been looking for cold air leaks into the house and blocking them. But I will never be 100% successful.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Las t week it was -12 in Toronto. you don't get no sympathy.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm

It's all relative.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:Las t week it was -12 in Toronto. you don't get no sympathy.

But Mike, it wasn't -12 C. INSIDE the houses in Toronto. No insulation and single paned leaky windows in most houses here make for a heating challenge. The plus side for us was that there wasn't any SNOW here. razberry
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 pm

True enough. When the inside temperature is in the mid teens it is a bit chilly. Even a few candles burning warms things up a bit in a small room.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next