INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want recommendations for new laptop.

+6
Jreboll
MexicoPete
mattoleriver
NoVaDamer
CanuckBob
Problem Child
10 posters

Go down

Want recommendations for new laptop. Empty Want recommendations for new laptop.

Post by Problem Child Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:11 am

I have had my ASUS for several years and have had it tuned up, virus swept and W-10 reinstalled twice. Despite this, it still is slow (doesn't seem due to Telmex) and I figure time for a new one.

I'm ready to get a new computer, but I don't want to overbuy. It's like people who buy a new car that will top out at 160mph. Just want a basic, dependable computer.

Here is the thing: I don't do gaming, number crunching, multiple windows, etc. I surf, watch YouTube, word processing, etc. Nothing terribly demanding.

I don't think I need a double/triple quad whatever or something with all the bells/whistles that don't matter for me.

I read up on Linux OS and I don't have the patience to learn a new system (sorry).

I have an external DVD player since I'm told the new ones don't have them. I know the earphone jack is gone but I can use a USB adapter for my headset/microphone.

And I know I have no choice other than W-10 with all it's bugs.

Any recommendations from your own use?

Thanks.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Want recommendations for new laptop. Empty Re: Want recommendations for new laptop.

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:39 am

Yes whatever you buy just be sure it has a minimum 8GB of RAM. Lack of ram is the what really slows computers down the when using any software.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Want recommendations for new laptop. Empty Re: Want recommendations for new laptop.

Post by Problem Child Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:13 am

CanuckBob wrote:Yes whatever you buy just be sure it has a minimum 8GB of RAM. Lack of ram is the what really slows computers down the when using any software.
Looks like I have a 1T HD and 4 GB RAM.

Can/should I upgrade the RAM and try a fresh install of W-10 after a full virus check, etc. A lot cheaper than a new laptop.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoVaDamer Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Any particular reason you are focused on a laptop, rather than a chromebook? Based on your description of your usage (which is similar to mine), a chromebook might be ideal. I made that transition a few years back, when chromebooks did not have any resident capability, and even back then I was much happier with one. Now they have more resident (offline) capability, and they are so much faster than a laptop.

No worrying about virus protection, amount of storage (in the cloud) and many things I used to need a hard drive for are available online for free.

The downside is Google knows everything I do, but that doesn't bother me.
NoVaDamer
NoVaDamer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Si!

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Problem Child wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Yes whatever you buy just be sure it has a minimum 8GB of RAM. Lack of ram is the what really slows computers down the when using any software.

Can/should I upgrade the RAM and try a fresh install of W-10 after a full virus check, etc. A lot cheaper than a new laptop.

If you upgrade to 8GB ram you will notice a considerable difference. Go all the way to 16GB if you can.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:15 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
Problem Child wrote:

If you upgrade to 8GB ram you will notice a considerable difference. Go all the way to 16GB if you can.

Specks say I can only go to 8.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Then go to 8GB. Mine came with 8GB and I'm almost ready to jack it to 16GB.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Problem Child wrote:
Here is the thing: I don't do gaming, number crunching, multiple windows, etc. I surf, watch YouTube, word processing, etc. Nothing terribly demanding.
A wise CBob on another thread wrote:
Didn't you just say "I use my computer for surfing, d/l jog docs, printing/scanning and really, that's about it."?? Now you need it to perform image re-sizing, website building and powerpoint? I am confused.
How long can it be till he insists that Mexico will pay for his new computer. Dead Horse
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Image resiging, BlueVoda, etc. are small programs and as I'm told, use little space and don't slow anything down.

I ordered 8 gig RAM and will have the computer peaked and tweaked once more. Hopefully that will help, otherwise, I get a new one.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:20 pm

2 years ago, I got a 13.3 inch Dell laptop with 8 gig of Ram and a 256GB SSD for $649 US. And gee is it fast. The secret is the Solid State Drive. That's what makes it so fast.

A few years back SSDs were quite expensive, but not any more. There are so many great options at low prices out there, if your primary reason for that computer is surfing the net, emails etc.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm

I have a Dell laptop and a couple of years ago my son gave me an IPad.
Now that’s all I use.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Me too. Tablet and phone. Perfect.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Problem Child Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:30 pm

I have two tablets, too bulky to just carry. And I don't use Skype that much.

I do need a good laptop though.

Problem Child
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:15 am

A laptop is good for travel if you do word processing, number crunching, etc. Also if you use Powerpoint to display slides. But if you do a lot of typing, it is useless for home work because of the crappy keyboard. An author touch-typing a book on a keyboard is wasting 50% of his/her time correcting.

4 Gigs on a small-screen laptop if more than sufficient, because the operating system actually needs very little to run the computer. Extra RAM only helps in two ways: One, if you are doing heavy-duty work like PhotoShop calculations; and two, once Windows begins to slow down (as it always does after three or four years), the extra RAM keeps you from noticing much of that slowness.

Skype and other programs that access the Internet don't care how much or how little RAM your laptop has; they are basically dependent on Internet speed.

Running more than two memory-consuming programs at the same time also requires more RAM. Resizing photos is one of those jobs that will use all the RAM you can give it. I have 32 Gigs in my tower specifically because of PhotoShop, and the difference is very noticeable.

A larger-screen laptop (say, 17") is that much more difficult to travel with, but if you are still using it at home, then the extra RAM you install is going to help with the speed because the video chip inside is utilizing that RAM. Gaming machines comes with extra video RAM, but that of course adds considerably to the price of the laptop.

One of the major problems with laptops today is that the slimmer models use SSD drives, which take up considerably less space and boot super-fast, but many models only stick in a 128 Gig or 256 Gig SSD, and that is not enough for anybody doing much more than surfing and basic solitaire playing. People who like to install applications will find their useable space rapidly depleting, and when there is 10 or 15% of space left, Windows is now out of space to run properly, and it slows down to a grind.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

HelperGuy wrote:
4 Gigs on a small-screen laptop if more than sufficient....
About 99% of my computer use is web surfing, email and Sudoku. I have a small-screen laptop which I attach to a full-sized keyboard and 23" monitor for the summer months. Am I working my small-screen laptop any harder when it is plugged into a full-sized keyboard and monitor than when it is used with the attached keyboard and monitor? Can it cause any harm to the laptop?
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:08 pm

No, it won't hurt your laptop at all. Most laptops will have an icon in the lower right corner, or accessible through the video display settings, to use multiple monitors. You can even automatically switch off the laptop monitor when the big monitor comes on.

In terms of power, the large screen is probably going to use more electricity, but you shouldn't notice any delays or stutters. I have never found any complaints or opinions about that kind of setup. In fact, a laptop monitor may even use more juice than a second external monitor.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave W. Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:24 pm

As others have mentioned, if you upgraded your hard drive to an ssd, then there's a very good chance that your existing laptop will run much faster... and go to your max of 8 gb of ram. Ssd's are well under $100 nowadays. You can save your 1tb hard drive and use it as an external drive if you need more storage. Just take your laptop to a friend or shop and get them to clone the mechanical drive to the new ssd.
I had an old netbook and did the upgrade, but the cpu is so slow that it made no difference to performance.

Dave W.

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Note that it is almost impossible to clone a large hard drive to a smaller hard drive. Better anyway to have a fresh install of Windows rather than copying over existing problems. And I must reiterate that you should seriously consider how much hard drive space you might need before sticking in a fast, but insufficient, SSD.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 pm

I see they now have hybrid solid state drives up to 2TB.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 pm

mattoleriver wrote:
HelperGuy wrote:
4 Gigs on a small-screen laptop if more than sufficient....
About 99% of my computer use is web surfing, email and Sudoku. I have a small-screen laptop which I attach to a full-sized keyboard and 23" monitor for the summer months. Am I working my small-screen laptop any harder when it is plugged into a full-sized keyboard and monitor than when it is used with the attached keyboard and monitor? Can it cause any harm to the laptop?

One possible problem maybe is extra heat, specially at the laptop's connectors. You will need to keep an eye on it and may have to consider a cooling pad.

Tiny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down