INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

+12
slainte39
Bubba2shoes
brigitte
espíritu del lago
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
windrider17
gringal
kipissippi
Carry Bean
ferret
Plan B
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments Empty Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

Post by Plan B Sat May 25, 2019 12:35 pm

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2JjLmNhL3BvZGNhc3RpbmcvaW5jbHVkZXMvd2hpdGVjb2F0LnhtbA&episode=d2hpdGVjb2F0LWQ2MTJjYjI3LWM3YjYtNDg0Ni1iMzIzLTg1MThhNzU2ZWI4Ng&at=1558805142412
Two doctors in rural Newfoundland are teaching locals what they need to know about switching to a plant based diet. It's a win-win for their patients who ditch cod and salt beef  in favour of tofu and broccoli.  Not only are they losing excess pounds, they are also regaining their health.
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments Empty Re: Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

Post by ferret Sat May 25, 2019 2:04 pm

But they're gonna die from heart failure when they see how much imported tofu and broccoli costs in the winter.
Seriously, cod is not bad for you unless it's deep fried but the salt in the salt beef will most definitely do you in.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments Empty Re: Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

Post by Carry Bean Sat May 25, 2019 2:17 pm

I'd lose weight on that diet for sure. In fact, I'd starve to death.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat May 25, 2019 2:46 pm

We started the Keto diet last week... and I just realized..... haven't needed a Tums in days.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 25, 2019 4:12 pm

I have a more or less "Mediterranean" diet and don't need Tums and its brethren.
Veggie heavy, lean meat; lots of fish, nothing deep fried and careful with the salt.  Only Italian pasta made with their Durum wheat, which has the hypoglycemic index of a veggie.

(Chuckle here):  other than my gut, I'm unhealthy as hell.lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Sat May 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Been vegan for about 2 years here, 70, in better health than ever, take no medications, enough other options that we do not worry about the Tofu costs mentioned earlier. Cheese was the hardest thing to give up for me but my wife makes it and it is as good as it once was.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 25, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm a foody who would rather give up a few years versus not eating what I want. Pickled, smoked, salted......bring it on......lol. Besides I already smoke and drink so what the hey.

Last edited by CanuckBob on Sat May 25, 2019 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Sat May 25, 2019 7:01 pm

I enjoy eating as much as anyone.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Me too. Love my veg diet, so many delicious things to eat that do not contain dead animals. Feel good and have lots of energy.

Been vegetarian almost my whole life. I'm 75 and it has always kept my weight stable, I have no stents, never been hospitalized, and the only health issue I deal with (celiac) I inherited. Thanks, Dad!

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon May 27, 2019 10:09 am

One thing about many vegetarians:  their enthusiasm about that choice approaches a religious fervor.    

On the positive side, the health benefits are well known as opposed to the results of being a heavy beef eater or sugar addict. But then, the health benefits of any sensible diet are well known. Keeping a healthy weight is a matter of making other choices, especially that famous exercise of pushing away from the table when you've had enough.

On the other hand, heredity probably has more to do with long term health than any other factor.  I have mom to thank for a number of baddies, confirmed by the docs who've treated them.  For some reason, I don't think my following a vegetarian diet would have avoided a crooked back, cataracts or hereditary coronary disease.  Happily, the last two didn't arrive until recent years.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Mon May 27, 2019 11:59 am

I find that most vegetables taste like medicine. Very Happy

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Humans are omnivores by nature. I've net a few vegans who don't eat enough protien, which the brain needs, and they act like vegetables.......lol.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 pm

lol!

You guys are funny.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue May 28, 2019 4:00 am

Lolz... Those replies were spot on... cheers
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 am

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments Staysa10
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 am

In France the group of people who live the longest come from a southwestern region where people eat lots of meat like fatty duck and geese, cook with the fat of the duck, they blame the armagnac they dringk and the red wine for ther longevity, they traditinal farmed but s...I think genes and a sensible well rounded diet have lots to do with longevity . They beat the southeastern people eating a mediterranean diet..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I find that most vegetables taste like medicine. Very Happy

I used to think, growing up in Alabama, where vegetables are seriously overcooked to watery tastelessness in so many homes, that brussel sprouts and green beans were a curse on mankind and then I married a French person who taught me to parboil both brussel sproughts and green beans al dente in salted water and then saute them in butter until slightly browned or, at least, almost slightly browned, adding garlic to saute with the beans and maybe a bit of parsley. The best medicine I ever tasted.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes, agree Bubba. People who don't like vegetables need a cooking class.

5 Places Where People Live the Longest and Healthiest Lives

• Sardinia, Italy. A largely plant-based diet, daily physical activity and familial closeness have given this Blue Zone the highest concentration of male centenarians in the world. ...
  • Okinawa, Japan. ...
  • Nicoya, Costa Rica. ...
  • Loma Linda, Calif., U.S.A. ...
  • Ikaria, Greece.

Feb 15, 2018
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm

BTW, for those that care, Adriana/El Granero has just received a new order of Beyond Meat burgers and vegan cheeses from Mr. Tofu in Guad. Yum.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue May 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Sorry, I’ve taken enough cooking classes to last 3 lifetimes.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue May 28, 2019 5:04 pm

What about those octogenarian gauchos in Argentina who are said to be the healthiest 80 year olds in the world who eat nothing but meat, because that´s all they have?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Meat is fine. I'll bet most of the people still alive and over 100 are not vegans or vegetarians.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue May 28, 2019 7:22 pm

slainte39 wrote:What about those octogenarian gauchos in Argentina who are said to be the healthiest 80 year olds in the world who eat nothing but meat, because that´s all they have?
Handsome devils aren't they?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue May 28, 2019 11:45 pm

Trailrunner wrote:
slainte39 wrote:What about those octogenarian gauchos in Argentina who are said to be the healthiest 80 year olds in the world who eat nothing but meat, because that´s all they have?
Handsome devils aren't they?

Not from my perspective and sexual orientation, now or ever. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 am

Well, Doctor Bob says meat is fine; Gringal thinks people who don't eat meat take on a kind of religious fervor, must be like some folks do about dogs in restaurants; and Carry says despite three lifetimes of cooking classes she can't make vegetables taste good! 😃

What will y'all do for cow burgers and pig ribs when they shut down factory livestock farms for being the second greatest cause of the heating of the planet?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next