INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

+12
slainte39
Bubba2shoes
brigitte
espíritu del lago
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
windrider17
gringal
kipissippi
Carry Bean
ferret
Plan B
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments - Page 2 Empty Re: Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

Post by Trailrunner Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 am

Well, Doctor Bob says meat is fine; Gringal thinks people who don't eat meat take on a kind of religious fervor, must be like some folks do about dogs in restaurants; and Carry says despite three lifetimes of cooking classes she can't make vegetables taste good! 😃

What will y'all do for cow burgers and pig ribs when they shut down factory livestock farms for being the second greatest cause of the heating of the planet?

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments - Page 2 Empty Re: Food as Medicine: Some doctors are prescribing a plant based diet to address a host of health ailments

Post by RVGRINGO Wed May 29, 2019 9:01 am

¿Coyos?

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 am

Gringal forgot to add that some vegetarians take on a morally superior, preachy manner that does nothing to convert the people they are looking down their noses at but does annoy the hell out of them.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed May 29, 2019 10:11 am

I don’t really understand why anyone cares.  You eat what you want and I’ll eat what I want.  When you buy my food you can dictate.  I don’t drink or do drugs but I don’t preach at others who do.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 am

The "religious fervor" doesn't affect all vegetarians; just the ones who get very vocal about it. I once knew a gracious lady whose vegetarianism was known only to her close friends and relatives and she never suggested that anyone else should make the same choice as she had.  

The "dogs in restaurants" objectors are concerned with sanitation issues and following the existing laws.

The probability of seeing an absence of meat in any of our lifetimes is about as likely as the proverbial sight of pigs flying. The population in general cares only about today's wants and doesn't care about the future.  They go ahead and vote for leaders who feel the same.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed May 29, 2019 11:51 am

The health and food cultures of the U.S.A., Canada, and a few Western European countries are very unlike most other parts of the world which place a direct connection between food combinations and health. Talk to a Cantonese about the different winds in your body and hot or cool foods. More preachy than the most militant vegetarian. Feng shui for your gut.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm

For those who would go for the non-meat burgers, please note the awesome sodium contents as opposed to a meat burger:

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a21566428/beyond-meat-burger-ingredients/

This can't be good for you.

Personally, I prefer fish and shrimp.  Some chicken, but little red meat. It's just a matter of taste, and fat doesn't agree with my stomach.  For an occasional meat burger, I get sirloin chunks at Tony's and have them grind it. Who knows what's in the packaged burgers?  I want to know.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 29, 2019 12:28 pm

Trailrunner wrote:
What will y'all do for cow burgers and pig ribs when they shut down factory livestock farms for being the second greatest cause of the heating of the planet?

Soyent Green

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed May 29, 2019 1:15 pm

Packaged burgers contain a binder and flavour free fillers. Usually vegetable based. This is why even if you almost scortch them they are still rubbery or spongy. Most of the ham we see here is called tumbled ham, the arteries of the hog carcass are injected with a liquid of preservatives and tenderizers. The tumbled part is after they place the treated hogs into what is like a giant cement mixer until it is tender. Then jammed into the plastic wrappers, chilled and out the door.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Trailrunner wrote:

My attitude is a new novel concept for dealing with problems like this in this part of the world.

I´ll deal with it when it happens.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 am

Trailrunner wrote:BTW, for those that care, Adriana/El Granero has just received a new order of Beyond Meat burgers and vegan cheeses from Mr. Tofu in Guad. Yum.

http://thescienceofeating.com/2019/05/04/beyond-meat-beyond-unhealthy/

Is Beyond Meat actually healthy? Is it actually sustainable? I urge anyone SERIOUSLY considering changing or eating this as a meat substitute to at least read the above referenced link.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 am

And another question:  How did people get so "hooked" on hamburgers that they GOTTA have them and will go for a substitute with all sorts of mystery ingredients, some of which are just plain bad for you, rather than just giving up burgers altogether?

When I was a pup many years ago, there was only one burger joint within miles; Bob's Big Boy in Glendale, CA.  Those were simple burgers that anyone with a normal mouth could actually wrap all the way around to take a bite out of.  Then, it was found on inspection that they were using horse meat.  OMG!  Why this is not as okay as using cattle meat has never been clear to me, but what an uproar ensued.  I don't remember the end result, but the proliferation of burger joints was many years later.  So was the obesity epidemic.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 30, 2019 7:34 am

I dont know but I would crawl a mile for a Wendy's burger. Good thing the closest one is in Mexico City.......jaja.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 am

CanuckBob wrote:I dont know but I would crawl a mile for a Wendy's burger. Good thing the closest one is in Mexico City.......jaja.

Is this why?

Wendy's Wendy's has a very real reason for keeping its burgers square — but not as square as they used to be. ... There's also a more symbolic reason: The square burger represents a fast-food chain that refuses to cut corners, according to Vamos. Wendy's square burgers have become an iconic part of its brand.Sep 14, 2016

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-are-wendys-burgers-square-2016-9
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 30, 2019 10:45 am

I could care less what shape they are. Wendy's burgers, imho, are the only burgers that taste like real quality meat. Their taco salad ain't bad either.
Now I have a craving that I can't fulfill until September.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 30, 2019 11:02 am

ferret wrote:I could care less what shape they are. Wendy's burgers, imho, are the only burgers that taste like real quality meat. Their taco salad ain't bad either.

I wouldn't crawl a mile for it, but I agree that the Wendy Burger is the best of the lot. Serve one up NOW! Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 30, 2019 11:17 am

ferret wrote:I could care less what shape they are. Wendy's burgers, imho, are the only burgers that taste like real quality meat. Their taco salad ain't bad either.

Lol.......I'm hitting Vancouver in August. I'll be having a few double burgers while I'm there.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicksco Thu May 30, 2019 11:24 am

Wendy's are great and so is In and Out double with out cheez!!
Nicksco
Nicksco

Humor : good

http://nicksco1@msn.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Thu May 30, 2019 12:27 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey%27s

Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2