INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange. Internet OK but no WIFI

+3
ComputerGuy
ferret
Carry Bean
7 posters

Go down

Strange.  Internet OK but no WIFI Empty Strange. Internet OK but no WIFI

Post by Carry Bean Sat May 25, 2019 4:23 pm

I never had this happen before. My speed is OK at 19 on my desktop but can't do a speed test on my Ipad because it says I'm not connected. All lights on on the modem and I've stuck a pin in the little hole 3 times and nada. Evil or Very Mad

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Strange.  Internet OK but no WIFI Empty Re: Strange. Internet OK but no WIFI

Post by ferret Sat May 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Same thing is happening to me today... the lights are on but nobody's home.
I've also had about three blip outs on the CFE and then back on (less than 10 seconds) and that royally screws with the modem and your connection. Every time the CFE is out for 10 seconds, it takes about 5 minutes to get a connection back.
I seem to be pretty stable right now. I mean the wifi signal not me ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat May 25, 2019 7:55 pm

Exactly the same here. Just about when I got done resetting the clock and sticking the pin in the modem the power would go out again. It's just weird the internet works but the Wifi didn't.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat May 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Dunno. I am not hardwired into the Telmex modem. Desk is at the front of the house and the modem is at the back (small house) so I'm operating my laptop on wifi. It just took a while to catch up (5 minutes) after each CFE blip. The CFE blips were so short that ceiling fan blades didn't even have time to stop completely before starting up again. The modem took a lot longer to get its act together but I didn't touch it.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun May 26, 2019 12:37 am

Carry Bean wrote:I never had this happen before.  My speed is OK at 19 on my desktop but can't do a speed test on my Ipad because it says I'm not connected.  All lights on on the modem and I've stuck a pin in the little hole 3 times and nada. Evil or Very Mad

That is, unfortunately, not a proper test. No need to reset the modem. If your modem says you are getting Internet, and your desktop is getting Internet, it means you are not connected wirelessly on your iPad. Check your iPad settings.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun May 26, 2019 8:24 am

My IPad settings are fine. Later last night I could use my IPad just fine. In fact, typing this on it now.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun May 26, 2019 9:15 am

I have a lot of problems with guests using any Apple products on my internet. They sometimes have problems connecting. When they finally do it lasts a few days and then all of a sudden they can't connect again.

Helperguy, it there some sort of difference in how Apple products connect to the wireless system?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Tday Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 am

CB,
As an Apple user I've experienced very few problems over the years, with their many products. Very happy, never crashes and easier to use. I've used PC's. Being here in Mexico, same. Very dependable. Good morning all !

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun May 26, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks but that doesn't really answer the question about why Apple users, particularly Ipads, have difficulties getting and/or keeping a wireless connection on my system. Now that I have Ilox I will see if there is a difference. I though maybe Ipads had problems with Telmexs dynamic IP system or something because usually they connect but then within a few hours lose connection. Rebooting the Ipad seems to get it connected again.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun May 26, 2019 12:39 pm

That's odd, Cbob. This is the first time it's happened to me and I've had the Ipad for 4-5 years. My Iphone which uses my home Wifi wouldn't work either but that's another Apple product. My desktop, connecting with an ethernet cable to the modem had no issues at all yesterday. Another mystery. scratch

Whatever it is, it might explain why streaming isn't working very well for me considering others who have way less speed than I do have no issues at all.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun May 26, 2019 1:43 pm

IPhone, Asus laptop, Telmex/prodigy modem/internet, all wireless. Never a problem here in SAT.
Hard to figure as inconsistency seems to reign supreme in so many cases in this land. scratch

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun May 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Wifi faded out again so I'm back on the desktop.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 27, 2019 8:57 am

Then it's working? Is there more to the problem I'm missing?

Carry Bean wrote:My IPad settings are fine.  Later last night I could use my IPad just fine. In fact, typing this on it now.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 27, 2019 9:00 am

Yes, Apple has a long history of poor WiFi capabilities. For some reason, over the years they have never been able to figure it out, whether it's on laptops, towers, or mobile devices. You recall a few years ago one of the iPhones took major hits because the simple act of holding the phone normally, would block out the WiFi. A Google search will reveal gazillions of complaints and questions.

When I have problems with Apple WiFi, I usually go into Settings and tell it to "forget" the connection, and then hook it up fresh with the WiFi password. That most often works, at least for a time.

CanuckBob wrote:I have a lot of problems with guests using any Apple products on my internet. They sometimes have problems connecting. When they finally do it lasts a few days and then all of a sudden they can't connect again.

Helperguy, it there some sort of difference in how Apple products connect to the wireless system?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 am

Carry Bean wrote:Wifi faded out again so I'm back on the desktop.

From my last post, which you might not have seen yet:

"When I have problems with Apple WiFi, I usually go into Settings and tell it to "forget" the connection, and then hook it up fresh with the WiFi password. That most often works, at least for a time."
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 am

HelperGuy wrote:Yes, Apple has a long history of poor WiFi capabilities. For some reason, over the years they have never been able to figure it out, whether it's on laptops, towers, or mobile devices. You recall a few years ago one of the iPhones took major hits because the simple act of holding the phone normally, would block out the WiFi. A Google search will reveal gazillions of complaints and questions.

When I have problems with Apple WiFi, I usually go into Settings and tell it to "forget" the connection, and then hook it up fresh with the WiFi password. That most often works, at least for a time.

CanuckBob wrote:I have a lot of problems with guests using any Apple products on my internet. They sometimes have problems connecting. When they finally do it lasts a few days and then all of a sudden they can't connect again.

Thank you for confirming my theory Helperguy. BTW....I can change your handle to Computerguy if you want to be consistent with TOB's.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 27, 2019 10:17 am

One other thing worth mentioning: since your customers are most likely hooking up for the first time, the forget/redo trick of course isn't possible. TelMex modems have memories that can "forget" they are supposed to be servicing [i]all[i] devices, and quite often unplugging or resetting the modem itself fixes the problem.

I discovered this interesting quirk some years back, when a customer had two Apple and two Windows products. Did not matter what I tried, the Apple guys wouldn't hook up. He exchanged the modem on a whim, and everything connected just fine. Since that time, I've seen it happen many times.

I don't know if iLox modems have the same issues. All my WiFi experience with repairs is based on the last 15 years here in Mexico with TelMex and Telecable.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tday Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 am

Helper guy, I think you might be on to something, A buddy of mine Dave, way more Tec Savy than I am, got hooked to Ilox a month ago and he said the Modems are crap. He has a BB here in Ajijic and replaced it with something much better and added a range extender, fixed the problem all his rooms at 30+ now.
Also my wife who is the IPad user has problems with Ilox, she says the Ilox logon say's she has a security problem and won't let her log on ? No problem with Telmex though.

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes, my last Ipad user that hooked to my new Ilox also got that message. They chose to ignore it and it let them hook.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 pm

I haven't had any problems with Ilox recognizing my Mac Mini or my iPad. The WiFi works fine on both!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down