INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area

+8
raqueteer
ferret
gringal
bobnliz
hockables
Intercasa
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area Empty Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 pm

After I spent six nights in the Patzcuaro area, we were taking off heading for San Miguel de Allende. Needing to get some motion lotion and some donuts/muffins to go with our morning coffee, we pulled into a combination PEMEX & OXXO on the highway between Patzcuaro and Morelia. Gas was my duty and Kathy headed to the OXXO. Noticed some Gringos coming out of the OXXO heading for a Michoacan plated SUV. The guy was eyeballing our Jalisco plated rental car and yelled across the parking lot asking me what part of Jalisco we were from. I replied: Albuquerque, New Mexico. To which he responded that they had lived at Lake Chapala for seven years and then decided to live in and experience: THE REAL MEXICO!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area Empty Re: Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area

Post by CanuckBob Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Well did you go over and unleash "hells fury" on the side of his car for dissing the Lake?

BTW.....is "motion lotion" the same as "road pops"?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area Empty Re: Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area

Post by Intercasa Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:57 pm

So they couldn´t afford Chapala and had to move to the sticks, that is probably good reading between the lines.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Please take note, I didn't say whether or not I agreed! I was just the messenger. On the other hand, my guess is that Spencer is way off base!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Rereading the part about SUV, yes, perhaps they are left wing artsy snobs feeling Chapala is beneath them and SMA is better or living in their compound in Michoacan. Ha unless they are narcos they aren´t living like real Mexicans in Michoacan, if they were they´d be on a bus.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Coming from someone who owns a Tahoe?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 pm

I´m not living in the real Mexico, I live in the pimpin Mexico and don´t sport Mich plates.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 pm

remember " opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one!! "

some think PV is Mexico, some think Tijuana is Mexico... whether U agree or not.... I suppose they're all correct...

enjoy the fact... U don't have to share the lake & surroundings with them... Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Wise words, Hock Interesting Conversation - Kind of a Slam on the Lake Chapala Area 169387 there always seems to be somebody as has to get a rivalry going... and as the man said...
"De gustibus non disputandum est!" ...or, in the common tongue.. "In matters of taste there is no dispute!" L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 am

The first time I heard the "Real Mexico" line, I found myself thinking about the good old homeland and wondering where the "real U.S.A." was. Los Angeles? The Ozarks? Montana plains? Out in the wide open spaces in Texas? Well, you get my drift.

People who talk about the "real Mexico" are ......how about "ignorant", to be polite. Or fullavit.

I wonder what my Mexican neighbors (whose families have been here for generations) would have to say if I told them they weren't living in the "real Mexico"? LOL.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am

Oh my goodness... that conjures up quite a picture. What a laugh! flag waver

Thanks G-gal... can I use that? I hear that same cowpie being spouted about San Carlos. Dead Horse Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:58 am

You sure can, Lizzy. It's a subject that comes up all too often, along with the b.s. about expats wanting to live in "gringo enclaves"..........which of course Mexicans do as well, the minute they move to the states. Familiar language, food and people who have a culture in common is always a draw for those who move far from their mothership.
mariachi

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 am

Firstly, the term "Real Mexico" is a misused broad generalization but it was "HIS" choice of words and not mine.

For many, if not most of us, where we live has been controlled for years starting with where our parents raised us and then dictated by our occupations during our working years. Come retirement time, the choice becomes our own for the very first time providing we can ignore those adult children who want to control us or our friends or extended family looking out for our best interests. We all naturally feel that our choice is well researched and that we have made the very best choice. Once that decision and commitment has been made, it is human nature to defend that choice. Furthermore, many competitive types often look down their noses at those whose choice may differ since they must feel that their choice is best.

Hell, none of us are cut from the same mold and our particular choices need only satisfy ourselves and no one else, since we live with our choice!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:46 am

That's the truth, CG. And some people just have to have some point on which they claim superiority.
Seems to be part of human nature, like gorillas beating their chests and hens with a pecking order.

Adult children: How about an adult son saying "But mom, you CAN'T move to Mexico. Don't you know that every few years, they have a revolution and kill all the gringos with machetes?"

No, this guy doesn't have an IQ under 80. And he did change his mind after visiting.

The funniest thing about adult offspring is that you can't tell 'em anything......but they sure want to have it the other way around.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I remember a sign in a retail store that I thought was very clever...

"Quick, hire a teenager...NOW, while they know everything"

At the moment, this is the perfect place for us. It wasn't in '96 when we chose San Miguel...and it wasn't in 2004 when we chose the coast.

You change, things change, places change...wherever you're happy is fine by me.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 pm

ferret wrote:I remember a sign in a retail store that I thought was very clever...

"Quick, hire a teenager...NOW, while they know everything"

At the moment, this is the perfect place for us. It wasn't in '96 when we chose San Miguel...and it wasn't in 2004 when we chose the coast.

You change, things change, places change...wherever you're happy is fine by me.

That's interesting Ferret, how was the coast? I'm asking because our grandkids don't really want to visit here, so we were thinking about a beach condo for part of the year.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 pm

The coast is wonderful from the end of October 'til about the middle of May....six and 1/2 months. The rest of the time you sweat and you drip...and it makes me crabby. I didn't enjoy having to live with air conditioning for six months of the year nor having to pay for it. Power failures here just mean getting out a candle and some minor inconvenience...there you don't sleep. It's the humidity that's the killer.

Different strokes for different folks.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:09 pm

We are considering spending the spring/summer 6 months (Apr to Oct) at the lake and then heading to the coast for the fall/winter 6 months.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 pm

That's why we have our little trailer... mountains in the summer, seashore in the winter. flag waver Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:53 pm

CanuckBob wrote:We are considering spending the spring/summer 6 months (Apr to Oct) at the lake and then heading to the coast for the fall/winter 6 months.

Bob, The best time for the coast is mid November until mid March. We went the first week of April and as soon as you step outside your room for 10 minutes you are dripping wet.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:44 am

johninajijic wrote:

Bob, The best time for the coast is mid November until mid March. We went the first week of April and as soon as you step outside your room for 10 minutes you are dripping wet.

As someone who lived several years on the Jalisco coast and has owned a home there for more than 30 years, I have to disagree with john boy. April and May, which are the worst months in this area, are 2 of the best months at the coast. The humidity is actually at its lowest then. I have seen fog and very cool nights in April.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:52 am

I imagine like everywhere else the weather can be different year to year. I have been on the coast in October several times and have found it to be tolerable. Part of our plan includes the fact that it is easier to find a rental at the lake from Apr. 1 to Sept 30. A rental from Mar. 1 to Oct 31 would be difficult to find.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:37 am

Ah, logic... and common sense. I love it. Good on you, C-Bobby. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Edo. de Mexico= Real Mexico (English real)

gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Oh D.F. too !
gm
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next