INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX

+6
CheenaGringo
bobnliz
hound dog
Splashingcolor
David
gringal
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 Empty Re: GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX

Post by gringal Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Hearing aids come in different flavors, depending on the nature of the problem and how much the client can afford. I would recommend going to a local audiologist because they often require many adjustments after purchase........unless you enjoy a long drive to Costco or have one nearby.

For those who live in the Lake Chapala area, there is a very good and caring audiologist who is based in Guadalajara but who comes to the Lake Chapala Society twice a week for the day. Membership in LCS not required. His office is in the back building with a sign up list outside for appts. He can also make repairs.

Hearing aids: (And this is from a laywoman's POV) There are very expensive ones which fit so deeply into the ear that they are almost undetectable by the viewer. There are the kind for more severe hearing loss that have a pocket control.
There are some that have the "guts" behind the ear and a tiny plastic thing that fits into the ear. Cosmetically, hair helps to hide the guts. There is everything in between.

Volume is part of the problem........but hearing often loses part of the spectrum from high to low tones without losing the rest. Distinguishing between sounds, like "P" or "T"; "S" or "F" in speech is part of the problem. The hearing aids are designed to take care of the individual need. Once you get a hearing test, they'll tell you which kind you can use. The hearing aids will cost some serious bucks, so be ready for that. Worth every penny, not to mention increased peace in the family. LOL

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:57 pm

responseGOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 26540 [/quote]

Last edited by Jim W on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling...don't want the wrath of David)
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Jim: please get the quotes separated: i.e. my response from yours. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 Empty Sorry ...I am dumber than a post

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:11 pm

gringal wrote:Jim: please get the quotes separated: i.e. my response from yours. Very Happy

No offense intended GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 403670 ..

Last edited by Jim W on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:Someone in our family went deaf too young and so we understand too well about the expense of hearing aids as the family pitched in to buy them. As was my reason for my comment if the problem was beyond the simple hide a away hearing aids.

Lizzy, I realize you live in the trailer out in the boonies part of the year Very Happy Is there a Costco or even a Walmart near you? Walmart in the states carries hearing aids at least. Costco has a very nice display in Guadalajara. My mother has had difficulty with one of her ears since I was born. She had a wire placed in her ear in the 70's. Recently, she went to see if perhaps another could be installed but was told a simple hearing aid would fix the problemo. They are very tiny and it does have a thin clear tube like deal that slips around the back of her ear. You can't even see it. Plus she wears her hair down around her ears anyway. What a difference! I no longer have to sit, walk or stand on her "good" side. :) She no longer has to rattle the house to hear the boob tube. That's about all I know about it. Probably online info too: http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-Warehouse/Hearing-Aid-Center/Styles.aspx

I don't know which pair she has. She said it was really high tech even for highs and lows and is pretty amazing.

C-gringa ~ We aren't really into boondocking and consequently are usually not too far from modern convenience as they call it. Much of the year we live in a real house... in a small town, true... but we do have a WallyWorld.

Face it, there is no getting away from them. T or C has an even bigger one. Last time we were camping there ($130 a month + electric) we had an outing one day just to go look at it.
I will check WW out for hearing aids.Thanks, Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Jim W wrote:
gringal wrote:Jim: please get the quotes separated: i.e. my response from yours. Very Happy

No offense intended GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 403670 ..

Hopefully fixed Gringal GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 696433
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:46 pm

No offense taken, Jim. Just like to see who's quoting whom and this can get confusing sometimes!
Meanwhile............... cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:10 pm

There has to be a way to put subtitles onto a file...so I went hunting on google and found some info but my eyes are now permanently crossed trying to understand it.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-add-subtitles-to-a-movie-or-television-series/

Why don't you ask this question of Helperguy on TOB? He'll probably figure it out in a nanosecond. I'm also sure others over there could benefit from any and all answers that you receive. I've never had to think about putting English subtitles on an English movie/TV show but I fully understand your husband's need. I'm the opposite...I put ear plugs in when I go to the theatre...the sound is so loud it's painful to me. Sometimes, I even do that at home.

Anyway, Graboid has come a long way from it's early days and the VLC media player is purported to be the best...even better than Windows Media.

The site can be overwhelming and we've had the best luck doing a search for something we want to see. We are currently watching 26 shows (none of them reality TV)...some are finished for the season and others have just started. We cheat a bit because we signed up with sidereel.com and get e-mail alerts when a show we're watching will be on. We've also seen more movies in the last year and a half than the previous thirty.

There's a learning curve for tips and tricks and it's worth it for $14.99 (dollars) a month.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:48 pm

We're tried a number of the "adding subtitles" programs. So far........we can't get no satisfaction. So many of the advertised "solutions" are similar to the pictures on the food packages in the frozen food section. LOL

If you rub enough patience and money on problems, they tend to go away. I'm sure this will, too. cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Just came across this info from Netflix...thought you might find it interesting Gringal.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/02/30-of-netflix-streaming-content-has.html

Add some TIME to that patience and money and there's hope for improvement in the future.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 am

ferret wrote:Just came across this info from Netflix...thought you might find it interesting Gringal.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/02/30-of-netflix-streaming-content-has.html

Add some TIME to that patience and money and there's hope for improvement in the future.
Yes, TIME must be added to the equation. And there is always hope.

Ferret: I know you're trying to be helpful, but that information came out last February, and since we have been eagerly awaiting Netflix service in Mexico, we have been following every tidbit regarding their promised service, but the problem is that while Netflix rolled out their service in the Caribbean with tons of English subtitles, what is available in MEXICO is another whole 'nother story, and very disappointing. So, thanks for your attention to our problem, but if you look at what is actually available, you'll understand why someone on (gasp) TOB was ready to spit nails about what they got.

A tad of personal history: I am no techie myself, but my spouse spent thirty years as an IT slave, so he is very patient with the vagaries of matters involving those dear little things we all seem to have become deeply involved with..........and which drive us nuts on occasion.

I'll also add that I have some reservations about things like buying pirated movies and music and would prefer to just sign up for the legit route to get what I want. Doesn't look like the idiots in charge of Netflix are going to cooperate.........so the best route may be tunneling under the wall.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:49 am

I have to wonder if Juanrey's use of Slingbox might not be the best currently available route to go?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

So far, doesn't look like the solution. But thanks anyway. If it weren't for the coordinated subtitles issue, there would actually be quite a few solutions.

Remember those high speed IBM industrial strength printers back in the stone age? They, along with Rock 'n Roll, are responsible for an entire generation of people cupping their ears and going "huh?" these days. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Wait 'til the current generation gets to our age...their ipods have given them hearing problems in their 20's. Between that, frying their brains with cell phones and arthritis from texting...they're gonna be in really sad shape. Ain't technology fun?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:26 pm

ferret wrote:Wait 'til the current generation gets to our age...their ipods have given them hearing problems in their 20's. Between that, frying their brains with cell phones and arthritis from texting...they're gonna be in really sad shape. Ain't technology fun?

....plus most of them can't figure out what to do with themselves in a power outage. Well, after they've exhausted the possibilities available in the bedroom, anyway. (But with their brains fried and their arthritis, that, too, would be limited.)
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldshoe Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:07 pm

You can download all kinds of stuff from Graboid. Go to their website and as I remember you can use them free for a day or so. My only complaint is some of the newer stuff doesn't have the best quality video and sometimes sound especially when the movie is being shot from a movie theatre - I have to laugh when people get up at the end of a movie to leave before the guy turns off his camera. But that's not always the case - I'm downloading a flick right now to watch tonight.

Oldshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Yes, I know.......and thanks for the suggestion.......but if you've read all my whining in previous posts, you'll understand why that won't work for us.
GOING NUTS WITH NETFLIX - Page 2 851398

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldshoe Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:54 pm

I apologize for not having followed the whole thread - I posted based on an earlier post. I get US NetFlix through UnblockUS.com. It must be some type of VPN. I just loaded a NetFlix movie to see where you can activate subtitles. I can't find where to do that. Their website says if it's available on a movie you can see the subtitles on a PC/Mac or through several other devices (Roku isn't listed). Many times we've activated the subtitles in something we've downloaded on Graboid since everybody mumbles in so many movies. We use HDMI connections from our laptop to the TV to view both Graboid and NetFlix so if you know how to activate the subtitles in US NetFlix they should come through a PC to your TV - providing you have HDMI and you connect with UnblockUS on your computer.

Oldshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

We are busily tunneling under the wall, have a pending order coming and when we have reached the woods beyond the reach of the guards on the prison towers, we will report our findings.

I don't imagine Netflix really gives a dang how we get the service, as long as they get paid, somehow, which they will whether we are on USNetflix or Mexican Netflix. Very tiny conscience clear.

About those subtitles: The "language and subtitles" option should show up normally as part of the "setup" on movies from a legit source, like Amazon or Netflix. Almost all of the newer movies do have that subtitle option, partly because of the law passed for "Americans with Disabilities", which requires them, at least in U.S. made films.
Now, as for the guy in the back of the threater with the camcorder.................... pirat

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2