INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service)

+3
Jreboll
gringal
Jubilacion
7 posters

Go down

Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service) Empty Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service)

Post by Jubilacion Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Does anyone have experience or direct knowledge of someone using or benefiting from SkyMed service? I've seen the information and looks interesting. New to Mexico and Lakeside this is a concern my wife and I have as we travel, getting back to the medical care we prefer.

Any experience shared would be appreciated.

Gracias, Jubilacion flag waver

Jubilacion
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes, please!

Back to top Go down

Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service) Empty Re: Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service)

Post by gringal Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Have you given Mexican medical care a chance? I have been very pleased with both the doctors and hospitals here for many reasons. However, as in all places, both differ widely and one needs good recommendations.

The air transport services make sure people have been "stabilized" before flying, and in the case of a heart attack, time is extremely important.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Jubilacion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service) Empty SkyMEd versus Mexican Healthcare

Post by Jubilacion Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:10 pm

That's a good point about giving the Mexican Healthcare system a chance which we are too new to have done yet.

I figured something like SkyMed would be a back-up for me in a catastrophic event with the inexpensive Medicare plan I will initially have, but in the case of my wife who is 4-years younger and NOT Medicare qualified, they would fly her back to GDL for treatment instead of the US where plans are to expensive for us to own.

Good to consider though, thanks.

Jubilacion
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service) Empty Re: Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service)

Post by Jreboll Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:49 pm

I’ve always wondered if you have to have a dr. who will accept your admission and who makes arrangement with the hospital?

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Heem Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:07 am

Jubilacion, when I first moved here I had the same concerns that you have. SkyMed can only transport you once your condition has stabilized. At that point there is no reason to leave as there is excellent medical care Lakeside and in Guadalajara. Save your money. These people are trying to make money off of fears that they have created but do not actually exist.

Heem
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret, RVGRINGO, Lady Otter Latté and Jubilacion like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jubilacion Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:38 am

Jreboll wrote:I’ve always wondered if you have to have a dr. who will accept your admission and who makes arrangement with the hospital?

No they take care of that, you just tell them in advance what city you want to go too. But as others have said, you do have to be stabilized and able to travel. Good points to consider if the process is worthwhile, I still sy yes, but discussion here is giving me pause to reconsider..

Jubilacion
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Also, when pricing insurance and selecting a company be sure they will fly you to the city of your choice. Depending on the company and/or the plan you select, they will not take you to the city where you want to go but to the closest hospital that has the facilities to deal with your situation. A woman I knew here was flown to a hospital in Texas. Her family was on the east coast. She was alone in Texas. The family had to fly to see her and stay in hotels. Because of cost and work schedules she was mostly on her own until able to fly east commercially (several months).
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Other important things to consider about medical evacuation, especially now, in a thread from Tomzap Barra de Navidad. You will have to register on the site.

Tomzap Barra-re Med Evac

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Jubilacion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Experience with SkyMed Emergency Travel Evacuation (or another Air Ambulance Service) Empty Good questiom

Post by NoVaDamer Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 pm

I hope you get people with actual experience to respond. I suggest attending one of their seminars for more info. I have it but have not needed it here. I got it mostly for when I travel overseas. You select your "place of return" and it is true, when you are injured, they must find a hospital to accept you at that location. If you have a doctor back home, that should not be a problem.

Per the comments about stabilization, it's true. Of course, if you were travelling away from home (back in the States or Canada) and had a catastrophic injury, no hospital or insurance would transport you to your home hospital before you were stabilized. That is a medical call, not a policy decision. They do provide a translator/patient assistance rep for you while you are being stabilized.

I have several close friends who have used SkyMed to return to the States for scheduled surgeries and even rehab long after an injury. They will also cover unaccompanied grandkids visiting you here in Mexico, which is a big plus for me. I have been impressed with their customer service.

It is not insurance, but I view it as insurance-like: a benefit which suits my needs.

NoVaDamer
NoVaDamer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Si!

ferret and Jubilacion like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down