INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My opinion on streaming…

+3
casi nada
rckrckr
Carry Bean
7 posters

Go down

My opinion on streaming… Empty My opinion on streaming…

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 am

It sucks. I have Total Play and on my tv (not just on my iPad) my speed is around 96-97.  I pay for two streaming services, Thunder TV and Clear Choice.  Thunder TV rarely buffers BUT in the midst of watching a show, frequently the station just goes to black and that’s it. Another person had the same experience. Loads of channels though.

Clear Choice also has a ridiculous number of channels, US, Canada and UK. Lots of buffering at times even after clearing the cache. And sometimes the buffering turns into 2 small vertical lines in the middle of the screen and the station disappears.  

Frankly, I wish a good cable channel would appear. I’m tired of constantly having to fiddle around with settings, turning on and off, etc. I just want to turn on the damned tv and watch a show.  End of rant. My opinion on streaming… 850219

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret and SunshineyDay like this post

Back to top Go down

My opinion on streaming… Empty Re: My opinion on streaming…

Post by rckrckr Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:14 am

Total Play, Firestick with DirectvStream, Max, Netflix...yes, all are paid but no issues, no buffering. Maybe I'm just lucky but I know others with the same experience.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:02 pm

How to get Directvstream?

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:15 pm

Use a VPN with US location. I think you may also need a US address to register for the service.
https://streamtv.directv.com/

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:27 pm

Carry Bean wrote:It sucks. I have Total Play and on my tv (not just on my iPad) my speed is around 96-97.  I pay for two streaming services, Thunder TV and Clear Choice.  Thunder TV rarely buffers BUT in the midst of watching a show, frequently the station just goes to black and that’s it. Another person had the same experience. Loads of channels though.

Clear Choice also has a ridiculous number of channels, US, Canada and UK. Lots of buffering at times even after clearing the cache. And sometimes the buffering turns into 2 small vertical lines in the middle of the screen and the station disappears.  

Frankly, I wish a good cable channel would appear. I’m tired of constantly having to fiddle around with settings, turning on and off, etc. I just want to turn on the damned tv and watch a show.  End of rant. :15:

Are you using a streaming device like a Firestick? And if you are, is your modem close to the TV?

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:27 pm

Using a Firestick and the Total Play modem is maybe 8-10’ away in the next room with maybe an 18” partial wall between the tv and the modem. I’ll post a picture if I can remember how.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:31 pm

My opinion on streaming… Img_7810

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:32 pm

Tv on the left, modem on the wall on the right.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:13 pm

My opinion on streaming… Oip10

Try the modem/router in the upright position with the antennas point upward to the ceiling or at a 45' /60' angle.

If you are using TotalPlay, try 4G instead of the 5G option.  My TotalPlay modem works better when set to the 4G option. Rich with Firestick could not get a good signal on the 5G option either.  I dunno why.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:06 am

rckrckr wrote:Use a VPN with US location. I think you may also need a US address to register for the service.

The only problem using a VPN for any of the streaming services is that the VPN significantly slows down your internet speed as the speed will now be dictated by the speed of the VPN's server. Some VPN providers are faster than others but they all slow your speed. I have TotalPlay (300mbps) and ExpressVPN. When I use the VPN my speed slows to under 20mbps and sometimes slower......and I get occasional buffering.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:40 am

kiko wrote:My opinion on streaming… Oip10

Try the modem/router in the upright position with the antennas point upward to the ceiling or at a 45' /60' angle.

If you are using TotalPlay, try 4G instead of the 5G option.  My TotalPlay modem works better when set to the 4G option.  Rich with Firestick could not get a good signal on the 5G option either.   I dunno why.

I have no idea why the Total Play installer put the modem on the wall upside down, possibly to get to the electrical outlet behind the bookshelf. How do I change to 4G from 5G if that is where it is currently? Thanks.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gatosigi Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:19 am

The only problem using a VPN for any of the streaming services is that the VPN significantly slows down your internet speed as the speed will now be dictated by the speed of the VPN's server. Some VPN providers are faster than others but they all slow your speed. I have TotalPlay (300mbps) and ExpressVPN. When I use the VPN my speed slows to under 20mbps and sometimes slower......and I get occasional buffering.[/quote]

I use protonvpn with Telmex Infinitum (65 / 23 mbps). Logged to a Canadian server I get 10% slower speed on download, 17% slower on upload (measured at 8:15 am). And there is occasional buffering but not too much. Last one-year renewal was CAD$133.

gatosigi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:33 am

Carry Bean, you seem to have a lot of cable there. Is it possible to take the cable across the top of the wall and down to a shelf on the bookcase? Then the modem could sit upright (with the antennas pointed up) as it was intended. If you were open to drilling a discreet hole in the bookcase, the modem would not only have better "sight" of your TV but would also cover all wires including the electrical connection. Your modem should also be plugged into a surge/voltage regulator.
Sorry for butting in because I can't help with anything else that you're experiencing. Suerte!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:02 am

CanuckBob wrote:
rckrckr wrote:Use a VPN with US location. I think you may also need a US address to register for the service.

The only problem using a VPN for any of the streaming services is that the VPN significantly slows down your internet speed as the speed will now be dictated by the speed of the VPN's server. Some VPN providers are faster than others but they all slow your speed. I have TotalPlay (300mbps) and ExpressVPN. When I use the VPN my speed slows to under 20mbps and sometimes slower......and I get occasional buffering.

That hasn't happened to me. I use Express VPN and consistently get over 100mbps on the telly. Again, maybe I've been lucky.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:01 pm

Some VPN servers are definitely faster than others depending on the country you want to mimic.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down