INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total Play or Skylink

3 posters

Go down

Total Play or Skylink Empty Total Play or Skylink

Post by DaveP Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 pm

Doing some preplanning and looking at Total Play and Skylink. Anyone know how speeds would compare on SAT down by the lake? Thanks everyone
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Total Play or Skylink Empty Re: Total Play or Skylink

Post by dvinton Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:16 am

If you meant Starlink, a test I just performed reported 200 Mbps down and 22Mbps up. Performance varies but you can count on at least 80 down 10-15 up. Considering it’s satellite based, I’m amazed at the performance. No lag when doing zoom calls.

dvinton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Jubilacion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:24 am

Thanks, my new rental has Total Play included and I was wondering if Starlink would get anywhere close to my Arizona speed. I get up to 900 down and 50 up
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:17 am

There is nothing Lakeside that will give you that kind of speed. I have TotalPlay (Internet/Phone only) Paquete 150 mbps in Riberas del Pilar and regularly get 200 mbps down and 60 up. This is more than sufficient for streaming without buffering and whatsapp for video calls or just phone calls to Canada.
https://totalplay.com/paquetes
TotalPlay also has outstanding customer service.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:26 am

Thanks Ferret, that's good for Mexico. I had a 400 plan with Sparklight  here in AZ and they offered me unlimited for 5.00 extra. I said what the hell I'll take it. Anything over 150 is fine if it is fairly constant. As well as streaming I will be bringing our voip phone down which gives us a US number so I/net is important
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:45 am

As long as your computer has both 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz wifi and you connect to the 5.0 ghz internet connection, your speed will be steady unless something untoward happens (like a tall truck ripping the line in pieces and the connection right out of the modem). I mention this because I am in the process of having Solid State hard drives installed on two different laptops. One of the laptops only has a 2.4 ghz wifi connection and it's part of the motherboard which I didn't want to replace. That 2.4 ghz wifi about halved the speed that I normally get although it was somewhat improved by using an ethernet connection. As soon as this wifi adapter arrives, I will be checking it out and reporting back. Cheaper by far than replacing the motherboard.
I started here https://www.techadvisor.com/article/724932/best-usb-wi-fi-adapters.html
and then clicked on the heading "Best wi-fi adaptors 2024" under Table of Contents within the body of the above link.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 pm

Thanks Ferret, both  my computers are WiFi 6 so hoping no problems but I will keep your info in case
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:06 pm

Awesome! You're good to go. One of mine is from 2014 and the other is from 2016. I decided to upgrade them rather than buy new and am very happy with both the price and the speed of the one that I am currently using. New SS drive and a new install of windows 10 was all it needed... 1200 pesos for the drive and 500 pesos labour. Me very happy.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:33 pm

I would be too. I upgraded last year and bought 2 ebay "renewed" computers. 1 HP 17" laptop i7 with W11 pro, 16G memory and 500 ssd + 1 HP desktop W11pro with AMD Rysen 7, 32G, and 2x500 ssd. It also has WiFi. I bought from EBay rather than Amazon as Amazon give 1 year warrantee and EBay give 2 Years. They are both 2 years old and and about 1/2 price of new
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down