INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety-Your honest opinion

+9
CanuckBob
Intercasa
CheenaGringo
oncesubtle
raqueteer
gringal
MyHomeSweetHome
Mainecoons
frkshnwa
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Safety-Your honest opinion Empty Safety-Your honest opinion

Post by frkshnwa Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 pm

I am looking for personal responses from people in regard to the safety of Ajijic. I know some people are afraid to express their concerns or fear on forums because they are afraid of being attacked by those who have a lot invested in the Mexico and have an interest in people continuing to head south of the border. I am sure this is not the case on this forum group but, I do welcome any personal replies to this post from anyone who may be a little shy about expressing their feelings openly in this format. We are planning on coming down in March so just want the facts. Just trying to sift through the "crap" you are fed daily here NOB by the News Media. I truely think there is a conspiracy by the U.S. government and the press to keep Americans in the States working, not retiring and paying taxes and spending their money at home. I think it is mostly because of the power that is held in the U.S. by corporations including banks. A sort of "work till you die conspiracy". I just want the facts and I will hear anyone out especially those without anything to gain. Thank-you.

Last edited by frkshnwa on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : email added)
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Safety-Your honest opinion Empty Re: Safety-Your honest opinion

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:15 pm

I think you need to go ahead and come down, rent something and gather information first hand.

My personal perspective is this: If you are looking for a Sun City South where there are no security issues, this is not the place. Much of lakeside has a definite urban feel and environment, even though the immediate populations are not large. Living in any of the villages puts you cheek to jowl with folks who have very little relative to the average expat. That creates a potential for home burglary and robbery.

Not to mention the fact that we are next door to an urban area of 6 million. The good thing about that is that it has all the amenities, great doctors and health care, very good airline service, even Sams and Costco and very good availability of everything you might need. The bad thing is that it has a bunch of bad boys too and they do know how to get here.

We've been here nearly 4 years. During that time, there have been periodic bouts of crime, usually home break ins. Occasionally, we get some real bad boys who will do home invasions or street muggings. In general, though, there is not much crime against the person.

This is a good thing because the police and criminal "justice" system here is pretty useless. You rely on yourself and your neighbors for security. I think if the average U.S. community had police like here, they would be in chaos and anarchy. Here, the community informally polices and guards itself. The Mexicans are very good at this.

When you are out, you practice street awareness. When we go to the plaza, we don't walk down the street we live on as there is one area that is isolated and has been the scene of a few street robberies. We walk up one block to a much busier street and then walk along it. At all times, we pay attention to who is on the street and how they are behaving.

Petty theft is quite another matter. If it isn't nailed down, it will be taken. You never leave stuff in view in a car and you don't drive a high dollar vehicle. You wouldn't want to anyway, this place is rough on cars due to the narrow and rough streets and tight parking spots. Small sport utes like the CRV or Toyota RAV4 are the best thing to drive here.

You need to exercise common sense. If you're going shopping, you take the cash you need and your driver's license. Leave your credit cards locked up. You won't be using those all that much anyway. Pickpocketing is not uncommon here, just like Europe.

Don't live in a property without decent security and off-street secure parking. Learn about neighborhoods. Some have more than their share of gangbangers and they are prone to theft and burglary.

In short, you should exercise the kind of urban awareness here that you might if living in downtown Seattle or Portland. This was not hard for me as I lived in a gentrified area of Washington D.C. and let me tell you that 40 years ago we defiinitely had security bars, alarms and lots of locks.

As for people who have a lot invested in Mexico, we definitely qualify. I'm bullish on this country, it is not a nanny state and it has a young, energetic popuation. You see progress at every turn. Sure, there's a bunch of problems but the trend is good here.

We certainly would be happy to meet you when you come down and introduce you to some of the locals. Really your best bet is to put your feet on the ground for a few weeks, do a lot of walking, looking and talking.

We absolutely love it here. Most of the people are great, the climate is just unbelievable, the walk everywhere village lifestyle is a delight. It will have to be open warfare in the streets before we'd leave and that isn't going to happen. The establishment has too big a stake in Guad and this area. Frankly, a lot of the druggie outbursts IMO are manifestations of desperation--the cops and the army have been rounding up and shooting those SOBs at a very high rate.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:38 pm

There is a narco war going on here. It isn't as bad as Colombia, IMO, because in Colombia, you need a watchman in many areas. At this point in time, which I've been observing & living here since it heightened, it comes and goes. One day everything is normal, then the next day around 10 p.m. you hear 4 gun shots to an all out territorial war between gangs or police & grenades going off. It doesn't happen very often. Maybe someone would want to count how many nights we've heard things? I'm guessing 8-10 nights this year maybe. What's honestly a riot about it, is that it really scared the poo poo out of me when it began but when you realize what a bad shot they are, I feel sorry for them. Most of them are insecure kids w/no hope trying to be something or they've been forced into the lifestyle. On the flip side, if you're one of those who reads some of the narco papers, which I can't stand, you probably wouldn't want to move anywhere out of your comfort zone.

Mexico living, from my experience, has always meant that I had to be street smart. Not just smart in public but smart at home too. Probably you've read about some of the local crime, which is apart from the narco war. No one is guaranteed tomorrow but for sure, live this day as if it were your last & be as smart about it as you can. I come from a nervous family as it is but probably one of the more adventurous ones.

This isn't a fact, but I think some of the reasons why people have left is because of their age. The younger you are, the more invincible you feel & you're less vulnerable. Who wants to get an extortion call? Who wants to feel endangered because they forgot to secure the door or innocently forgot to take the key out of the door and were assaulted for it in their own home? I've heard of it happening a couple of times.

Overall, as long as you know there's potential danger, as in traveling anywhere especially this day and age, you'll be fine coming down for a visit. We're all here enjoying our lives. We may chat about noise but we're living well. As our Mexican president pointed out in a recent tourist promotion, the war is between the narcos, not us.

BTW, many of us that live here, do not reveal our id, email addresses, pictures, or names online for security reasons.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Two very good posts above. This sure isn't a Dell Webb senior city, but I wouldn't want it that way. This is a vibrant culture: any excuse for a festival and some noisemaking will do. Horses still trot down the streets. Parades happen. As in all places, there are dangers. Mainecoons gave some sensible advice.
We've been in Mexico over seven years: four and a half in Ajijic. We're here for the long haul.

I think the reasons that some of the elderly move back to the states are twofold: family to be near and the fact they often feel more secure in U.S. health care, plus they have Medicare in the States. The family issue isn't subject to argument. A relative may be willing to help with care. Sometimes the money runs out and relatives are willing to pitch in there, too.

IMO, those planning to make their permanent home here need to consider how it will be in ten years, maybe even twenty, from the time they move. We can't stop time, and inflation happens, too.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:06 pm

gringal wrote:Two very good posts above. This sure isn't a Dell Webb senior city, but I wouldn't want it that way. This is a vibrant culture: any excuse for a festival and some noisemaking will do. Horses still trot down the streets. Parades happen. As in all places, there are dangers. Mainecoons gave some sensible advice.
We've been in Mexico over seven years: four and a half in Ajijic. We're here for the long haul.

I think the reasons that some of the elderly move back to the states are twofold: family to be near and the fact they often feel more secure in U.S. health care, plus they have Medicare in the States. The family issue isn't subject to argument. A relative may be willing to help with care. Sometimes the money runs out and relatives are willing to pitch in there, too.

IMO, those planning to make their permanent home here need to consider how it will be in ten years, maybe even twenty, from the time they move. We can't stop time, and inflation happens, too.

Couldn't agree more. That's it in a nutshell.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:01 pm

I think the chances of anything untoward happening to you here are about the same as anywhere. With that in mind it's the advantages of living lakeside that have us planning on spending the rest of our lives here, and the list do go on; cost of living, food, culture, adventure, activities, social, climate, shopping, fiestas, friends, Intl. airport, proximity to the states etc.. Now as a disclosure we have a vested interest in living here but even if we didn't we would.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 pm

" BTW, many of us that live here, do not reveal our id, email addresses, pictures, or names online for security reasons".

This in itself makes me a little nervous. Not being able to reveal your email address, web pages, id & pictures would make it very difficult to promote yourself in any venture you are undertaking in Mexico. A photographer and blogger depends upon thousands of hits by viewers. Has there been a problem?
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:37 pm

No. What you might want to do is use one of those services that makes it look like you are located in the U.S. "Hide my IP" is very good and only $30 per year.

You shouldn't plan on coming down here and making a liviing. The Mexicans are tough about work permits and the pay is low. A number of my expat buddies work on the internet for U.S. companies and have the pay deposited into a U.S. account.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 pm

frkshnwa wrote:" BTW, many of us that live here, do not reveal our id, email addresses, pictures, or names online for security reasons".

This in itself makes me a little nervous. Not being able to reveal your email address, web pages, id & pictures would make it very difficult to promote yourself in any venture you are undertaking in Mexico. A photographer and blogger depends upon thousands of hits by viewers. Has there been a problem?

Don't let it freak you out, being you're up there but thought you should be aware. There's plenty of online promotions, & as far as we know it's not been a problem. We're just avoiding potential problems. If you're promoting a business, open & post w/two accounts. One for chit chat & the other to promote your business, like announcements etc. As you get to know people down here & want to reveal "your id" you can do that in person or through a pm. This is a small community & there are plenty of busy bodies. It seems the older some people get, the less they're in control of & they try to control everything else around them. This causes a lot of friction in some of the gated communities as they try to make it work as a mini USA.

Ok, but to be honest, it makes me a little nervous too & I live here! So far so good though mariachi

idk, there's probably plenty that think we're all nuts, post their blogs, location & email etc. There's bloggers down here. Heck, Rolly's an open book & he's never had any problems that I'm aware of. The rest of us, just call us a little skittish. :)

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:21 pm

MyHomeSweetHome wrote:
frkshnwa wrote:" BTW, many of us that live here, do not reveal our id, email addresses, pictures, or names online for security reasons".

Don't let it freak you out, being you're up there but thought you should be aware. There's plenty of online promotions, & as far as we know it's not been a problem. We're just avoiding potential problems. If you're promoting a business, open & post w/two accounts. One for chit chat & the other to promote your business, like announcements etc. As you get to know people down here & want to reveal "your id" you can do that in person or through a pm. This is a small community & there are plenty of busy bodies. It seems the older some people get, the less they're in control of & they try to control everything else around them. This causes a lot of friction in some of the gated communities as they try to make it work as a mini USA.

Ok, but to be honest, it makes me a little nervous too & I live here! So far so good though mariachi

idk, there's probably plenty that think we're all nuts, post their blogs, location & email etc. There's bloggers down here. Heck, Rolly's an open book & he's never had any problems that I'm aware of. The rest of us, just call us a little skittish. :)

Frankly I'd be skittish anywhere these days. Using facebook and using your real name, address etc. is just plain dumb IMO. If any of my grand daughters did that I'd hit the roof.

If you choose to operate an online business, or one which relies on referrals, just use a corporate name. ANYWHERE!

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:23 pm

"" BTW, many of us that live here, do not reveal our id, email addresses, pictures, or names online for security reasons".
This in itself makes me a little nervous. Not being able to reveal your email address, web pages, id & pictures would make it very difficult to promote yourself in any venture you are undertaking in Mexico. A photographer and blogger depends upon thousands of hits by viewers. Has there been a problem?"

This is the reality of today no matter where you are! To provide an example: we have a piece of property for sale here in NM and it is FSBO on Craigslist. When placing the ad, I pondered keeping it totally blind but decided to include my cell # to make it easier. In the middle of the night last Saturday, I received a text message stating: that they would be willing to pay cash for the property. The phone # was from south Florida and a total scam. My point being is that there are programs out there that harvest info and leave one open for scams and such.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks for the input. I am not looking to start a business in Mexico per se. I have worked as a Cartographer and Land Surveyor for 42 years and just want to take the time now in my life to grow as a photographer. If I was to start a business it would be in Real Estate Photography and would go after the necessary permits but, I am retiring and most likely stay on the path enjoying landscape, travel and Architectural photography. Thanks everyone for you help. SFJ
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Some people don´t reveal info as they act like jerks and are too afraid to show their faces. Security is an excuse. I´m probably the most visible person online here in the Chapala area and I´m still alive!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 pm

I would recommend that you go down, get a short term rental (3 to 6 months) and judge things for yourself. Everyone has a different tolerance for risk as you can see from the posts here. Personally I don't think it is riskier than any big city NOB. Use the same precautions that would when visiting any major center. If it feels too risky or dangerous you can pack up and go elsewhere very quickly.

The advice above about email addresses and what not have nothing to do living in Mexico so not sure why it was even brought up.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 am

frkshnwa wrote: Thanks for the input. I am not looking to start a business in Mexico per se. I have worked as a Cartographer and Land Surveyor for 42 years and just want to take the time now in my life to grow as a photographer. If I was to start a business it would be in Real Estate Photography and would go after the necessary permits but, I am retiring and most likely stay on the path enjoying landscape, travel and Architectural photography. Thanks everyone for you help. SFJ

Now that would really be a useful skill around here. It's always fun to have a diversion from retirement. If I were you I'd be down here in a nanosecond. Realtors here have zero idea how to present a property for sale, much less do even remotely creditable photography. Don't let the recent uproar scare you off. The water's actually pretty warm here, great climate and a super lifestyle.

BTW this is not a real estate sponsored web board, so you really do get the real deal here.

You've heard all the bad, now here's the good. Expat communities anywhere in the world tend to be protective of other expats, hence the what can we do posts over the last couple of weeks. We've been here for years, and despite being older would never even consider moving back, unless forced to for health reasons.

Good luck in your decision making process. Oh yes, do rent first just in case it's not for you.

Also, forgot this. Since we are older and tend not to trust technology as much as younger people, that's the reason for internet warnings. It's pretty unlikely that you would be a target, but JIMHO, better safe than having an unwelcome visitor on your computer or phone. All the same anywhere really-

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:27 am

Intercasa wrote:Some people don´t reveal info as they act like jerks and are too afraid to show their faces. Security is an excuse. I´m probably the most visible person online here in the Chapala area and I´m still alive!

If one of your ex girlfriends doesn't kill you, you are probably going to be OK.

razberry
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 am

Thank-you all. I found some very enlightening posts on this forum and have received some very informational personal messages. Looking forward to meeting some of you when we get there in the spring.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 am

I used to have my photo and location on this chat group but removed it due to threats from a former member and a few members here can get pretty aggressive. Intercasa, being a youngish man is not as afraid of the bullies as I am.

I also report on a lot of crimes so if there are some bad guys reading this chat group, I don't want them to know anything about me.

As for the US, I think there is a concern that many retirees are leaving the US for cheaper retirement locations. There are recent tax laws that require reporting foreign assets and I think that is so the long arm of the tax bureau can get their share (just my idea).
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 am

If we could go right now we would. This is the first Christmas we have spent in the NW in years and it is unusually cold now. We miss the holidays in Mexico. We came back from Ajijic last year with a goal in mind to make the move at the end of high season in 2012 in order to have a better selection of rentals. This was recommended by Judy King in Ajijic at one of her weekly seminars. We hve been planning on making the move down to Mexico for years but our trip to Ajijic and Chapala cinched it for us. We spent 6 months preparing the house and grounds to get it on the market and we were able to sell our house in 4 days after putting a FSBO sign out. A miracle. Our blog "Bound for Ajijic" http://bound4ajijic.blogspot.com/ tells our story.

In the September blog there are some pictures I took of our home when we were preparing a sales brochure. It sold so fast I didn't even get a chance to create the brochure. I would be very interested in doing real estate photography in the Chapala area and would appreciate any suggestions members may have and any details you may have for doing it within the rules of Mexican law.

We are waiting until I have a full 32 years in my retirement system. I have been an avid photographer for years and will be working on photo book written for the new "color" e-readers (Nook, Kindle fire Ipad etc) while in Ajijic. You can see a few of my photos of Mexico at: http://500px.com/Imagenes_del_Paraiso if you are interested. Again thank-you everyone for your suggestions and kind words of encouragement. SFJ
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:24 am

The most dangerous thing you will encounter is a bunch of gringos who are ADD and probably cannot shoot straight arming themselves. That is a really scary thought, give me the cartels any day!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:38 am

ROFL, Brigitte. Excellent point.

For the photographer: There are a number of photographers in this area already who either worked in the field back in the states or finally are in a position to make their avocation their main occupation. You'll probably enjoy meeting some of them. They show their work in the local art league events are well.

Welcome........and don't let the Chicken Littles discourage you from having a fine life here.
But: RENT FIRST is the rule.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 am

We are of the "rent forever" mindset.....Want to be free to move around and the economic meltdown in the States just killed us. I have heard of the art show and plan on getting involved after we get our feet on the ground.

Last edited by frkshnwa on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm

I rented for the first 8 years I lived here and am really glad I did. I lived in Guadalajara - did not like that, San Antonio Tlayacapan (liked it at first but now with Walmart and heavy traffic do not like it), and Jocotopec - too far out. I finally bought and it took living in a lot of places to figure out where I wanted to be. There is lots to rent with the current housing market and would advise renting at least 3 years.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:41 pm

It's a tolerance thing. Do what works within your own personal tolerance level.
I corresponded with many forum members by phone and by email before our first trip down. Now we are down and have made even more friends.
I think the caution is not to give out too much information in a forum, or on-line, but if you are somewhat guarded with your personal details you're probably okay. Remember this is a place for older people and older people have a tendency to get more conservative and paranoid the older they get.
No offense intended to anyone.

juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Conservative; probably.
Paranoia happens when your imagination creates unseen enemies lurking in the shadows of your mind.
If that starts happening in my own head, it's time for the checkout counter.

"Careful "is what we should always be, without drifting into the land of Lost Souls above.
Careful, as in not getting into cars for a joyride with strangers or driving along cliffs at 90mph,. whether you're 18 or 80. 'Course, no strangers have been offering a joyride lately. lol.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next