INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hotel in the Ajijic area

+9
peteben
mikey1953
SunFan
SusieSunshine
gringal
ferret
David
Zedinmexico
drmike
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hotel in the Ajijic area Empty Hotel in the Ajijic area

Post by drmike Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm

My wife and I will be coming to Lakeside for a visit from February 19th through the 24th. We currently have a reservation in a B & B in Ajijic, the only problem is they only serve breakfast. Does anyone on the board know of a Hotel in either Chapala or Ajijic which is nice, but also serves lunch and dinner, as we may or may not have a car from Mark Turford. He cannot guarantee that he'll have a car available to rent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hotel in the Ajijic area Empty Re: Hotel in the Ajijic area

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 pm

If you stay in either city you will not have trouble finding places to eat lunch
or dinner. Don't think B&B around here do anything but breakfast. I would
rather eat out and you can walk to lunch and dinner in Ajijic. Not sure I
would drive a car first time here. I would take the bus or taxi. Alot to distract
a person who is driving and you really need to pay attention when driving
here especially when new. Which B&B in Ajijic and we can tell you what is
around it?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

We will be staying in Casa del Sol in Ajijic. We've been to Chapala twice so far, when we lived in Toluca. So we know about traffic.

Thanks, Zed
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 pm

As far as BnBs go you can't beat Casa del Sol. There are many restaurants nearby. However, if you want a "full service" restaurant in the hotel they stay at La Nueva Posada in Ajijic.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:50 pm

David wrote:As far as BnBs go you can't beat Casa del Sol. There are many restaurants nearby. However, if you want a "full service" restaurant in the hotel they stay at La Nueva Posada in Ajijic.

Thanks David
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:05 pm

If you don't have a problem with stairs, then choose one of the rooms on the third floor overlooking the lake. La Nueva Posada is a long time (since '96)favourite of ours and breakfast is included with room rates. Room rates are discounted if paid in cash. It's quiet there. DO NOT TAKE A ROOM OVER THE KITCHEN!!!
The dining area is charming...the outside patio area is even more charming...the food is better than good but not spectacular. There is another restaurant across the street and also on the water that is very good...and up two blocks is THE spectacular Number Four Restaurant for dinner. All else is within easy walking distance including Simply Thai, Laurent, Manix, Yves, The Secret Garden, 60's in Paradise, Jardin de Ninette...to name but a few.
The owner of La Nueva Posada is Michael Eager and is as personable and accommodating as they come.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I second the Nueva Posada as a hotel choice, along with her comments.
We stayed there for a couple of weeks during a house remodel, and found that the best room was on the third floor on the far west side. Nice balcony overlooking the garden and with a lake view.

Yves restaurant is on the lake a few blocks west and serves a reasonably priced menu for all three meals. We just had lunch there and it has a good selection. The taco salad with chicken, beef or shrimp is like no other under the same name, with a beautiful presentation and delicious dressing. Fries are home made. Fish at dinner is a winner, in several styles. The others Ferret named are also good ones.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Thank you Ferret and Gringal for the advice. We will change our plans and stay at the Nueva Posada. We'll ask for a room on the third floor facing the lake.

Thanks to both of you for your guidance
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

drmike wrote:
Thank you Ferret and Gringal for the advice. We will change our plans and stay at the Nueva Posada. We'll ask for a room on the third floor facing the lake.

Thanks to both of you for your guidance

However, you DON'T want to be on the east side of that floor: Reason: La Tasca, the Night Club and restaurant is very audible on that side. GO WEST, YOUNG MAN.

La Nueva Posada has its own web site.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:42 pm

http://www.hotelnuevaposada.com/

That was good advice from Gringal about La Tasca restaurant noise...forgot about it completely. We haven't been up to the third floor for a very long time. My hubby's legs always limited us to one of the four ground floor rooms around the pool...they're lookin' a little worn these days (those rooms I mean, not hubby's legs)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SusieSunshine Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Another vote for Nueva Posada...my mom came to visit and hates Mexico, but actually loved it there. I like the second floor rooms that look out toward the "lake" (read rubber tree). The music wasn't bad...kind of like background music and NP had their own that drowned out La Tasca's.

SusieSunshine
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 am

Ask for room 301 at the Posada. Its an end room with the best view.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey1953 Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:42 pm

I agree about room 301...stayed there on my first visit here and it is perfect.

mikey1953

Back to top Go down

Post by peteben Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:25 pm

Casa del sol is really lovely. And you are only two blocks from the plaza. We stayed there when we first visited, and loved it. We stayed one week, had no car and found plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Pete

peteben
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. We decided on la Nuevo Posada and got a third floor room on the west side with a full view of the lake. Not sure of the room number.

Thanks again.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. We decided on la Nuevo Posada and got a third floor room on the west side with a full view of the lake. Not sure of the room number.

Thanks again.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:09 am

Casa del Sol is a lovely B&B...........but a lake view: best.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 am

Dr Mike: I am glad you made the change to Nueva Posada. I think you would have been disappointed with Casa del Sol. I stayed at the Casa del Sol my first time down two years ago, and I would not recommend it. If you are the only guests staying there, it can be scarey at night. You are completely alone. There is not anyone on site at night. They will tell you a guy lives in a room next to the kitchen at night, but he doesn't. He lives with his girlfriend, and appears in the morning to cook breakfast.

There is no one to contact half the time if you have a question or problem. The reservation gal was not pleasant and was there for a few hours in the morning, then gone. You are just too, too alone.

The restuarant next door, is it called Yves? ---from the outside garden of this restaurant-- someone could jump up onto the wall which is completely open to the guest kitchen area with ease, and be inside the house...so security is a problem. I was scared staying there alone. I met another gal who stayed there and she was the only guest and was miserable at night.

It echoes, the decor is cold and ugly. Also the street it is on, Javier Mina, is not always the best at night. I got alot of drunks walking by and some bad boys. I rented a car from Mark and it was broken into and the stereo stolen. You have to park in the street at Casa del Sol.

Also, this is a big deal - there is not a front door, just an iron gate at the front entrance, which is open to the street. If you are walking around in the lobby, phone area, sitting room area, anyone walking by in the street can look in on you.

You are also going to hear the bells from the church every single hour, so you may not sleep well at night. The neighbors have a rather delapidated house with a barking dog who hangs out on the roof - you will hear him. If you stay in a front room, you will hear traffic. You will hear the church bells from every room. The place often has only one room filled - you. So, I don't feel it is secure or friendly.

At Nueva Posada there is a person at the front desk 24 hours per day. There are always plenty of guests staying there, and the garden/patio restaurant is beautiful. If you want to meet people to talk to, all you have to do is say hi, and you can make friends. The waiters are really nice. The atmosphere is warm and beautiful. They have super comfortable beds. It is SO special and lovely, the architecture is incredible. I can PM some photos of it if you would like.

Nueva Posada has gated secured parking for their guests. Ask Mark for an older beat up car, but a good runner. He may have more availability if you are fine with an old beater. You are more secure driving that kind of vehicle. You don't have to drive, but it would be nice if you want to explore. Taxi service is great. You can hire taxistas to drive you around the lake or wherever you want to go. I have two taxi drivers who I trust completely, one of whom drove me to Queretaro, and then came back for me. He stayed overnight with us. He is wonderful. My dog needed to be taken back to Ajijic and he helped me with the dog. He is well known and trusted by gringos. I can PM you names and phone numbers, so PM me if you want them.

I would agree that you need to give yourself a couple of days to get your bearings, but I think you would be fine driving. Mark is a super nice man, and will talk with you about all you need to know.

You will be sooo happy at Nueva Posada. I am glad you put this on the board, and got advice from people. The Posada will be a safe, lovely, welcoming atmosphere for you to make your first visit to a very special, and beautiful place.

There has been lots of discussion about crime, but really, don't let that stop you. Crime is everywhere. The area is a small town, and everyone knows what is going on and talks about it. This is a GOOD THING. You always know what is going on!!! This is SO positive. In the city I live in most of the time in Minnesota, I never know what is going on around me....no one has a board like this to chat about our community. SOmeone could be killed down the street and I would never know. So, the discussions are a fantastic example of what the community is about lakeside...it is something you will not find anywhere else.....and it is part of what makes Lake Chapala so very special. Everyone on this board contributes important perspectives. Where else are you gonna get this kind of community? Best luck on your first visit, and let me know if you want taxi names. Regards.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 am

P.S. When I said crime is everywhere, I mean the U.S. and Canada, as well as Mexico. Listen to what everyone has said on this board, it is good advice, and then enjoy yourself. Make new friends. Explore, and be happy.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:36 am

57 Chevy,

Thanks for your information and advice. Yes, crime is everywhere. Where I live if the driver next to you doesn't shoot you, the cops will (there were five cop shooting victims just the other night). I'm not afraid of Mexico as we lived in a small town outside Toluca for two years and we were the only Gringos there. Moving to Chapala/Ajijic will be a relief.

Yes, I want the names of the cab drivers which you had good luck with. Thank you. As Mark is apparently out of cars to rent (it's the busy season for him) it appears cabs are my form of transportation.

I'm glad I'm at La Nuevo Posada, also. I think it'll have everything I need plus security. I'm on the third floor with an excellent view of the lake, at the suggestion of a few of the board members.

The Casa del Sol doesn't sound very pleasing, although they had a nice website.

Thank you so much for your information and willingness to share that information and your experiences. I hope to meet you for dinner some night and you can bring me up to date on the area.

Thanks again,

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 am

Casa del Sol is fabulous. Visit it while you're here.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am

Couple of things: Yves restaurant is on the lakefront, nowhere near Casa del Sol. It's a good place to eat, for a little variety. Reasonable prices, nice people and great view. No extra charge for occasional braying of Rosie, the donkey, outside.

If Mark can't provide you with a suitable car, there is a family who has drivers available. We've used them. Friendly guys; good drivers. Try calling Rene
cell (045) first, (from a land line), then 333 143 2352. He'll probably refer you to another family member if he won't be available. email: Miramontes Transfer@hotmail.com.

57Chevy didn't enjoy her stay at Casa del Sol, but many others have praised it. Very lovely place.........but I think Nueva Posada was the best choice.
Have a good trip!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

I live just a couple blocks down the street east of where you are staying. I'd enjoy meeting you and your wife and might be able to answer some questions.

For that matter, why don't we have a little "meet and greet" over lunch at Nueva Posada while Dr. Mike is here?
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Best and Safest taxi drivers. I use no one else. Francisco and his sons. He has 7 or 8 different size vehicles, does tours, etc.
Francisco----766 1142
Cell ph: 045 333 157 8060
His Son Luis: 045 331 307 8289
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Mainecoons,

Sure I would like to meet you and have lunch with you at La Nuevo Posada. My wife will not be joining me as we have a dog who has just had surgery and she would like to stay home with him. I am there from Feb. 19th until Feb. 24th. So pick a date and we'll do a meet and greet over lunch together.

Thank you for your thinking of me.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content