INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas

+3
Intercasa
hockables
CheenaGringo
7 posters

Go down

Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas Empty Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 pm

"Is it OK sometimes to use bribes, "given the way things are" in countries that may be grappling with corruption, crime and poverty?

People in Guyana and Haiti were roughly four times as likely to say yes as people in Brazil, Chile or Guatemala, according to a recently released survey of attitudes across Latin America and the Caribbean. The Vanderbilt University study found big differences in how bribery is viewed in different countries, based on a 2010 survey of nearly 41,000 people in 24 countries.

Researchers didn’t draw conclusions about why people in some countries were more likely to say bribery was justified. They did, however, find other factors that helped explain how people viewed bribery. People were more likely to believe that bribery was sometimes justifiable if they also believed that:

-- the national economy had taken a turn for the worse in the past year

-- crime was a threat to their future

-- corruption is rampant among government officials
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/02/bribery-americas.html

[img]Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas Bribes10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas Empty Re: Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas

Post by hockables Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm

I halfta Bribe the Wife to Feed Me just about every day...

So how is this any different? Nutt'n Fer Nutt'n ya know...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas Empty Re: Is bribery sometimes OK? How people answered across the Americas

Post by Intercasa Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 pm

The system here is very strict, i.e. you can pay into your retirement fund as a worker for 30 years but when you go to collect you find that one letter or space was different from your birth certificate and pay stub so you don't get your pension UNLESS you do a court action or something like that although with a "tip" that can be avoided. Those who don't tip waiters might want to rethink the value of avoiding months to years in court.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:14 pm

Interestingly, this headline out of Brazil which enjoys one of the lowest rates of bribery:

Police strike in Rio, bringing fears for Carnival
Cops, firefighters, prison guards walk out over pay despite decision to give them a 39 percent raise

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46339158/ns/world_news-americas/#.TzUeTWVdmqE

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:01 pm

waiters work for tips. this is almost everywhere. the hourly wage is almost nothing. i tip about 20% here.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 pm

I didn't understand your comment about waiters, Spencer. The subject here is governmental corruption and bribery.

As Susan points out, waiters earn their living from tips.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 pm

BTW CG, this was a very interesting find, glad you posted it. A few surprises there, notably Brazil.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 pm

And government workers don't earn the vast part of their earning from "tips", oops I let the cat out of the bag!!!???

Well some do, that was my point.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Mainecoons wrote:BTW CG, this was a very interesting find, glad you posted it. A few surprises there, notably Brazil.

The Brazil thing is total bullshit. Same as the crooked local cops in Dawg´s native Alabama publishing statistics about eradication of illegal stills out in the piney woods. Whatever makes the hypocites feel more secure. Dawg recommends as one reference source the DVD of the movie City Of God and the special feature on the DVD of the interview with the ex-chief of police of Rio De Janiero who speaks of the corruption of that society from the wealthiest at the top to the poorest in the favelas with the cops and civic authorities in the middle. What a joke.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 pm

susan wrote:waiters work for tips. this is almost everywhere. the hourly wage is almost nothing. i tip about 20% here.

Ditto, same reason. We ask and they talk, most people in general don't lie. Call me a fool, whatever, it's my choice.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down