INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days.

+7
sparks
saege007
johninajijic
Solovino
CheenaGringo
hockables
raqueteer
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days. Empty 18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days.

Post by raqueteer Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:39 pm

7.4 the largest

7 smaller earthquakes greater than 5

10 greater than 4.

On this website http://earthquakes.tafoni.net/

You will have to zoom in to the area for greater detail.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days. Empty Re: 18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days.

Post by hockables Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 pm

raqueteer wrote:7.4 the largest

7 smaller earthquakes greater than 5

10 greater than 4.

On this website http://earthquakes.tafoni.net/

You will have to zoom in to the area for greater detail.

Very interesting map... I never realized just how active The Pacific Rim really is...

and compared with seismic activity around the rest of the world... kind of an eye opener
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days. Empty Re: 18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico in 2 days.

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Apparently, the main quake was the largest to hit Mexico since the 1985 quake. While there was a good deal of excitement in Mexico City with people heading for the streets, the damage in that area was pretty much minimal. Parts of the States of Oaxaca and Guerrero did sustain a fair amount of damage to homes and buildings.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Apparently, the main quake was the largest to hit Mexico since the 1985 quake. While there was a good deal of excitement in Mexico City with people heading for the streets, the damage in that area was pretty much minimal. Parts of the States of Oaxaca and Guerrero did sustain a fair amount of damage to homes and buildings.

There was an 8.1 quake on the Jalisco coast in 1995. Well this site says 8.0 but at the time I believe it was said it was 8.1 and lasted for a minute and 36 seconds.

http://laprimeraplana.com.mx/2012/03/20/los-9-temblores-mas-fuertes-registrados-en-mexico/

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Sorry Solo for the inaccurate statement. That is what I get for believing articles like: http://www.informador.com.mx/mexico/2012/364823/6/la-ciudad-de-mexico-sale-ilesa-del-peor-terremoto-desde-1985.htm

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Solovino wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:Apparently, the main quake was the largest to hit Mexico since the 1985 quake. While there was a good deal of excitement in Mexico City with people heading for the streets, the damage in that area was pretty much minimal. Parts of the States of Oaxaca and Guerrero did sustain a fair amount of damage to homes and buildings.

There was an 8.1 quake on the Jalisco coast in 1995. Well this site says 8.0 but at the time I believe it was said it was 8.1 and lasted for a minute and 36 seconds.

http://laprimeraplana.com.mx/2012/03/20/los-9-temblores-mas-fuertes-registrados-en-mexico/

not to change the subject... but...

we were in Melaque a few weeks ago and I took notice of conditions there....

people there have done a remarkable job of cleaning up...

Lots of old structures demolished and removed to make way for new construction.. still some major structures along shoreline sitting empty ...

must have been one heck of a storm....

hardly a single tree left standing....

my hat's off to them...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

hockables wrote: not to change the subject... but...

we were in Melaque a few weeks ago and I took notice of conditions there....

people there have done a remarkable job of cleaning up...

Lots of old structures demolished and removed to make way for new construction.. still some major structures along shoreline sitting empty ...

must have been one heck of a storm....

hardly a single tree left standing....

my hat's off to them...

I think the damaged buildings along the beach are the remnants of the earthquake. The hurricane didn't do that type of damage. And I was there during the storm and have been there numerous times since. And there are trees all over the place!

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 pm

OMG! Didn't you feel the earthquake here? Thought you all would have/
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:14 pm

The chandeliers here were moving, plus people in Guadalajara felt it too. Guess that puts paid to the idea that we don't get earthquakes here.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm

John, there were actually a limited number of reports out of Guadalajara and one out of Ajijic from people having claimed to have felt this quake:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0008m6h/us/index.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:16 am

raqueteer wrote: The chandeliers here were moving, plus people in Guadalajara felt it too. Guess that puts paid to the idea that we don't get earthquakes here.

I believe there is a small fault line that runs along the north side of Hidalgo in Chapala (Centro). Several of the buildings there were damaged in a small quake in 1996? Correct me if I'm wrong. Just info locals have told me.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 am

The only damage in Melaque from Jova was water coming down from the mountains

There was also a 7.6 in Colima in 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Colima_earthquake

1995 Colima-Jalisco earthquake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Colima-Jalisco_earthquake
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 am

Sparks, what condition is the beach in at Melaque?
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 am

Fine ... they just finished a big Skim Board competition. The beach in Barra has lost a lot of sand and a number of beach front buildings collapsed ... but that started with big surf months before Jova
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 am

Headline in EL UNIVERSAL: "In Guerrero, 30 000 homes damaged, 2 000, in Oaxaca"

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/837396.html
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eluniversal.com.mx%2Fnotas%2F837396.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 am

CheenaGringo wrote:John, there were actually a limited number of reports out of Guadalajara and one out of Ajijic from people having claimed to have felt this quake:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0008m6h/us/index.html

Must have been really limited as we felt nothing and no swayiing chandeliers or ceiling fans, we have 7, like the one about 8 years back.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 am

John didn't feel it. Prima facie evidence that no one else did either.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 am

18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico is not unusual in that time frame. In fact, Chiapas is by far the most seismically active zone in all of Mexico with almost constant minor temblors and occasionally damaging ones. Having survived the big quake in San Francisco in 1989 with no damage to the high-rise condominium buliding on rock-solid Russian Hill we were living in in those days while residential structures on bay fill were severely damaged, we sought out a hilltop residence on similar solid ground in Highland Chiapas when we bought there in 2006. Being at the top of a hill in San Cristóbal has the dual advantage of minimizing potential earthquake damage and damage from the lowland flooding common in the Jovel Valley.

While we are at Lake Chapala at present, we have our ear to the ground in Chiapas and have heard of no damage or even noticable seismic activity from friends in San Cristóbal which is relatively near the epicenter of the Oaxaca/Guerrero quake. Maybe the Maya Gods are reserving the big earth shattering events for December when, according to Maya prophesy the whole shebang with be coming down around us in a blaze of glory. Dawg plans to be in San Cristóbal or maybe at the Palenque or Toniná ruins then properly fortified with Herradura Blanco tequila, a bag of limes and a bottle of sangrita to see me through the crisis.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am

Rolly wrote:John didn't feel it. Prima facie evidence that no one else did either.

Did you feel it where you are? Do you have 7 ceiling fans that would be swaying back and forth if the tremor was big enough to feel?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am

hound dog wrote:18 earthquakes in Southern Mexico is not unusual in that time frame. In fact, Chiapas is by far the most seismically active zone in all of Mexico with almost constant minor temblors and occasionally damaging ones. Having survived the big quake in San Francisco in 1989 with no damage to the high-rise condominium buliding on rock-solid Russian Hill we were living in in those days while residential structures on bay fill were severely damaged, we sought out a hilltop residence on similar solid ground in Highland Chiapas when we bought there in 2006. Being at the top of a hill in San Cristóbal has the dual advantage of minimizing potential earthquake damage and damage from the lowland flooding common in the Jovel Valley.

While we are at Lake Chapala at present, we have our ear to the ground in Chiapas and have heard of no damage or even noticable seismic activity from friends in San Cristóbal which is relatively near the epicenter of the Oaxaca/Guerrero quake. Maybe the Maya Gods are reserving the big earth shattering events for December when, according to Maya prophesy the whole shebang with be coming down around us in a blaze of glory. Dawg plans to be in San Cristóbal or maybe at the Palenque or Toniná ruins then properly fortified with Herradura Blanco tequila, a bag of limes and a bottle of sangrita to see me through the crisis.

Gosh Dawg, kinda risky wouldn't you say, after all John has been advising us not to build on hills. Since we know that John as absolutely never wrong..........
We're also in deep trouble, house on a hill, also on solid rock despite the warnings, surely this will end badly...or not.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 am

johninajijic wrote:
Rolly wrote:John didn't feel it. Prima facie evidence that no one else did either.

Did you feel it where you are? Do you have 7 ceiling fans that would be swaying back and forth if the tremor was big enough to feel?

Well, John, since Rolly lives in Durango State far from the epicenter of the quake, it would be surprising if he had had swaying ceiling fans there resulting from an earthquake in Oaxaca State. Now, Dawg was at the French consulate in Guadalajara´s Colonia Americana at the time and felt nothing but, as best I recall, they have no ceiling fans there.

It is good that Dawg felt no shaking from this distant temblor. I have experienced major earthquakes in California, destructive hurricanes on the Alabama coast, approaching tornados on the Alabama coastal plain and a sawed-off shotgun to the head when I was running a bank branch in Oakland and I wouldn´t give you two cents to repeat any of those experiences.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm

NOTHING. dont make drama, find something else. all i had was some windy trees. you all wish for drug wars, crime now earth quakes. it will never be enough.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

susan wrote:NOTHING. dont make drama, find something else. all i had was some windy trees. you all wish for drug wars, crime now earth quakes. it will never be enough.

They're not happy unless they talk about those things incessantly. Small minds with nothing to do. How sad. susan, Don't you feel sorry for them? NOT!!!

Gee, there is no perfect place to live. A few MINOR robberies, about 0.5% of the population. Some druggies in GDL causing chaos. So what? And now earthquakes 400 miles away that only the Ajijicans choose to talk about.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm

You trying to date Susan - John ... or what. You might find a beard on the other end
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

sparks wrote:You trying to date Susan - John ... or what. You might find a beard on the other end

hehe....one end or the other.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next