INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trip NOB on March 3

+6
CheenaGringo
Mainecoons
Jim W
Parker
simpsca
CATXN
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trip NOB on March 3 Empty Trip NOB on March 3

Post by CATXN Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am

My neighbors left Ajijic early March 3 for NOB and I received am email from them today. This is not good news. I know this will draw a lot of flack, but I am posting this as information to anyone who might be heading north soon. This is all I know so now you know what I know.

"Unfortunately, our trip leaving Mexico did not go as planned. We took the bypass just past the Airport and had gone less than a mile when we were forced off the road at gunpoint by 4 state policemen. They tried to force us down a dirt road but Cortlandt refused. If we had, I'm sure I would not be writing this. So 2 policemen held guns to our heads while the other 2 robbed us right on the shoulder of the road with cars and trucks whizzing by. They took our money, computers, cell phones, liquor etc. and sped away. Thank goodness, I had hid 2000 pesos in my shoe. I think we crossed the Border on fumes. Needless to say, we were petrified until we got to the Border, but were not stopped again.

We have not decided if we will ever come back to Mexico. I still have not gotten over the experience, but Cort is holding up better than I am. He is willing to fly back down and arrange to have our things in storage shipped back here, However, I definitely am not ready to go back any time soon."

CATXN

Back to top Go down

Trip NOB on March 3 Empty Re: Trip NOB on March 3

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:39 am

There have been many crimes reported on other websites at that same by-pass by other people - some I know personally. And all the reports are that is police robbing people on that road as there is not much traffic. Take the long way to the cuota which is closer to Guadalajara.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for the warning.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by CATXN Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:40 am

My fingers are not working correctly this morning. This happened a week ago, on March 31st.

CATXN

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:30 am

OMG, What time of day was it?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:37 am

Where's Martygraw and CG? Still blaming the victims, guys?

We had a similar experience, stopped by two cops. They didn't pull guns but they did steal a camera. There was a rash of these reports around the Chrismas holidays, this is the first for a couple of months but clearly one of the most harrowing.

I'm not using this road again until these criminals in uniform are caught.

This needs to be reported to Lakeside crime.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CATXN Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:35 pm

My fingers were not working together earlier today. This happened last Saturday, March 31st. As for the time of the incident , here is from my inital post> This is all I know so now you know what I know. I do know that they planned to be in Saltillo Saturday night and that they were not planning to drive Saturday night.

CATXN

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I would guess that one common factor is that the victims have all been driving vehicles with NOB plates? The other common factor in the reports that I have read appears to be that it always seems to be a couple in the vehicle? It would probably be valuable info to others if a common time of day could be determined.

We have only driven that route one round trip when going to Tonala and we were driving a Mexican plated car with three of us in the vehicle. However, we do have a friend that has made probably 30+ round trips driving by himself or with passengers and with Texas plates and never had a single problem. Go figure!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:48 pm

An alternative plan might be to contract with the "all knowing Gringo from Chapala", who claims to have personal connections within police departments to ride shotgun for the trip! With his apparent connections, it would be just like adding an extra insurance policy. The only problem that I see with this concept is that he has never driven this route - in fact, he has never driven to Guadalajara and back himself.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 pm

It's a safe assumption, then, that they left in the morning. To the best of my knowledge, most of these cop robberies have happened in the morning although there was one report in the late afternoon that I recall.

A half hour and one toll isn't worth it for me. I'll wait until Carlos gets his new ring road cuota built. Until then, I'll take the longer, busier road.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:An alternative plan might be to contract with the "all knowing Gringo from Chapala", who claims to have personal connections within police departments to ride shotgun for the trip! With his apparent connections, it would be just like adding an extra insurance policy. The only problem that I see with this concept is that he has never driven this route - in fact, he has never driven to Guadalajara and back himself.

Sorry CG, I'm too busy and I have already driven through Guadalajara and back 2 times in the past 3 weeks.........jajajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Mainecoons wrote:Where's Martygraw and CG? Still blaming the victims, guys?

We had a similar experience, stopped by two cops. They didn't pull guns but they did steal a camera. There was a rash of these reports around the Chrismas holidays, this is the first for a couple of months but clearly one of the most harrowing.

I'm not using this road again until these criminals in uniform are caught.

This needs to be reported to Lakeside crime.

I did report it to Lakesidecrime.com and they agreed to put a warning about this road on their web board. I told them it's at least the third or fourth car stopped and robbed by police on this road - you being one of them. Hopefully the word will get out and people will stop using it and go the route that is further in toward Guadalajara to get on the cuota.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:51 pm

I guess we are all also assuming that these are even real cops. I have seen reports before where the bad guys have stolen cops cars and uniforms......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:01 am

CG - Who would that be?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 am

Yes, I was thinking the same thing CB. It reminds me of the photo that Spencer took of the fake policeman that was killed in a shoot out with the real police right in front of his car port. So these could be fake police or the real police. I have friends who had the same experience with real police in other areas.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm reminded of a movie... so long ago... I can't remember the title...

A robber jumps outta the bush at an unsuspecting elderly couple...

says " gimme all yer money "

they hand it over...

robber looks at his ill gotten booty

groans " canadian !! "

and hands it back to them....

sorry Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 pm

CATXN wrote:My neighbors left Ajijic early March 3 for NOB and I received am email from them today. This is not good news. I know this will draw a lot of flack, but I am posting this as information to anyone who might be heading north soon. This is all I know so now you know what I know.

"Unfortunately, our trip leaving Mexico did not go as planned. We took the bypass just past the Airport and had gone less than a mile when we were forced off the road at gunpoint by 4 state policemen. They tried to force us down a dirt road but Cortlandt refused. If we had, I'm sure I would not be writing this. So 2 policemen held guns to our heads while the other 2 robbed us right on the shoulder of the road with cars and trucks whizzing by. They took our money, computers, cell phones, liquor etc. and sped away. Thank goodness, I had hid 2000 pesos in my shoe. I think we crossed the Border on fumes. Needless to say, we were petrified until we got to the Border, but were not stopped again.

We have not decided if we will ever come back to Mexico. I still have not gotten over the experience, but Cort is holding up better than I am. He is willing to fly back down and arrange to have our things in storage shipped back here, However, I definitely am not ready to go back any time soon."

We left Chapala @ 5 AM....today Easter Sunday, We arrived @ Navajoa 4:00 Central time, without incident. Needless to say, I was totally paranoid......after reading your friends experience......I had money taped everywhere....under floormats..... behind glove box....hid my debit cards under center console.......carpet.......Not a laughing matter....but....my wife is still laughing as I can't remember where I stashed the last of my pesos Beer Beer Basta
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Jim:

I should hope that you were not on the road being discussed? If so, I cannot imagine how you got to where you were going!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Time for a sting operation, and pronto.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:28 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Jim:

I should hope that you were not on the road being discussed? If so, I cannot imagine how you got to where you were going!

Neil, that is a very dangerous road to drive in the dark....did it once.....we were on the quota road, to Nogales....After reading post about incident, I believe the culprits were counterfeit cops. Most local cops have ak45 or something similar....ride in the back of pick up.....I am with Spencer on this.......BTW seeing my son for the first time since incident....should be a worthwhile discussion. Have a great day....talk soon.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 am

We left Chapala @ 5 AM....today Easter Sunday, We arrived @ Navajoa 4:00 Central time, without incident. Needless to say, I was totally paranoid......after reading your friends experience......I had money taped everywhere....under floormats..... behind glove box....hid my debit cards under center console.......carpet.......Not a laughing matter....but....my wife is still laughing as I can't remember where I stashed the last of my pesos Beer Beer Basta [/quote]

Jim - I'm so glad you had a safe trip. And I do hope you find all the money you have taped all over your car. Did you use that new cut off near the airport or go the regular way which is further in toward Guadalajara to get on the cuota.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 am

Having driven the road in question, I cannot envision any reason for getting on this road to connect with the highway towards Nogales!

Could it be that people simply don't know the highway being discussed and are very confused?

We are talking about the highway indicated in blue on the map below, are we not?

[img]Trip NOB on March 3 Detour10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Sorta. Where your blue line iintersects that road running roughly west to east (the one with the word Tonala on top of it) you would turn the opposite way from what your line does and go east on Libre Ruta 80 towards Zapotlanejo. As noted, the problems are happening on the first part before you turn east towards Zapotlanejo.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 pm

the new road doesn't get us to our destination shortest route.......going to Laredo is the route taken on the bypass just past airport.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 pm

So why did you post the following: "Neil, that is a very dangerous road to drive in the dark....did it once.....we were on the quota road, to Nogales"?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next